Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 doesn't show DNG thumbnails  (Read 1333 times)

Frans Waterlander

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 doesn't show DNG thumbnails
« on: September 03, 2018, 06:38:25 pm »

In order to be less dependent on camera-and-brand-specific RAW formats I've been converting my Nikon NEF files to the DNG format, you know, the Adobe open format to be less dependent on camera-and-brand-specific RAW formats.
Now it looks like Adobe's own Photoshop Elements 2018 can open DNG files but cannot show DNG thumbnails. Ggggrrrrr... >:(

So, am I missing something and does anybody (Adobe maybe) have a solution for this issue?

Frans Waterlander

Re: Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 doesn't show DNG thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 01:03:20 am »

All by themselves, the dng thumbnails started to reconstruct! Wow! I have no idea why or if my downloading a codex "fixed" this issue. However, the PSD thumbnails still don't show themselves. I'll be chatting with Adobe about that tomorrow. Still  >:(!

TonyW

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 04:56:38 am »

As far as PSD thumbnails I do not believe that this is an Adobe problem. 

Assuming you are using Windows the issue is likely to be the need for a codec.

AFAIR originally in early versions of Windows PSD would display thumbnails (Adobe supplied codec?) but later versions Windows had issues.  Therefore I believe Adobe may  have stopped supplying codec in the install code.

In any event you may want/need to look for a third party offering e.g. https://sourceforge.net/projects/sagethumbs/

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 02:10:40 pm »

Let me see: thumbnails for a Adobe format (PSD) are missing and this is somehow not an Adobe problem? Between Adobe and Microsoft (yes, I use Windows 7) they should have figured this out a long time ago. I don't care whether Adobe or Microsoft creates the codec, but it should have been available right from the start of Windows 7 years ago. And I'm really weary of third party codecs, certainly of ones originating in Russia.

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 03:13:46 pm »

Let me see: do you always try to bite the hand that offers some help  :).  I will try once more

Let me see: thumbnails for a Adobe format (PSD) are missing and this is somehow not an Adobe problem?
Viewing thumbnails has never been a certainty.  Support for thumbnails has never been guaranteed in Windows or in Adobe products, even if they did once in earlier incarnations of OS and App.

Between Adobe and Microsoft (yes, I use Windows 7) they should have figured this out a long time ago. I don't care whether Adobe or Microsoft creates the codec, but it should have been available right from the start of Windows 7 years ago.
Agreed that would be nice but who Adobe or MS to take up the challenge? 

And I'm really weary of third party codecs, certainly of ones originating in Russia.
Seriously how many have you actually used?  The one I linked to has been recommended by many and is free, you can of course purchase a set if you wish

There are many applications out there that do not provide a means to view thumbnails via Windows explorer hence the need for codecs. 

Should a free version not be to your liking a paid for version that is touted as being very good http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

Why use PSD (a proprietary format!) at all when you can use TIFF (layered or not and fully documented in the public domain) and view in Windows explorer?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 03:40:32 pm »

Try Irfanview and download their plug-ins too.  All free and should be able to open and see NEF files.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 07:25:34 pm »

Chatted with Adobe and their answer was basically: we don't do that, get a third party codec. Just installed sagebrush for free; problem solved.
Sagebrush: 1; Adobe and Microsoft: 0.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 08:55:36 pm »

Quote "In order to be less dependent on camera-and-brand-specific RAW formats I've been converting my Nikon NEF files to the DNG format, you know, the Adobe open format to be less dependent on camera-and-brand-specific RAW formats.
Now it looks like Adobe's own Photoshop Elements 2018 can open DNG files but cannot show DNG thumbnails. Ggggrrrrr... >:(

So, am I missing something and does anybody (Adobe maybe) have a solution for this issue?"

Are you converting the NEF to DNG using Adobe applications i.e. ACR or LR?????.

If so Lightroom will only show the jpeg rendition produced by the Adobe application.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 12:13:22 am »

Quote "In order to be less dependent on camera-and-brand-specific RAW formats I've been converting my Nikon NEF files to the DNG format, you know, the Adobe open format to be less dependent on camera-and-brand-specific RAW formats.

So, am I missing something and does anybody (Adobe maybe) have a solution for this issue?"

Are you converting the NEF to DNG using Adobe applications i.e. ACR or LR?????.

If so Lightroom will only show the jpeg rendition produced by the Adobe application.

I started to convert my NEF RAW files to DNG RAW files some years back when Adobe was pushing DNG hard as the way to go for the future. I used the Adobe DNG converter.

However, DNG isn't making any serious headway and hasn't evolved into the wave of the future that Adobe once foresaw and/or promoted. Adobe tech support recommended just yesterday to not convert NEF's to DNG's. Based on that and many recent articles on the subject I have decided to no longer convert my NEF RAW files.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 02:47:35 am »

In any event you may want/need to look for a third party offering e.g. https://sourceforge.net/projects/sagethumbs/
That's rather good. How have I not heard about that before ?
Thanks for the mention.
Pages: [1]   Go Up