Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moooo 2  (Read 564 times)

Two23

Moooo 2
« on: September 02, 2018, 11:48:26 pm »

I spent a day at the South Dakota State Fair.  I wandered about with my Leica IIIc loaded with FP4 but despite the crowds I just wasn't catching much.  Partly to look for more interesting subjects, and partly to get out of the hot sun, I went into the cattle barns.  They were abuzz with people scurrying about, preparing for the big contest (Grand Supreme Champion), and leading large animals to and fro.  It was a mix of cattle, cow poo, cowboys, and pretty cowgirls!  The light was dim so I switched to using my Nikon D500 with Sigma 17-50mm f2.8.  I was finding interesting scenes everywhere I looked!  Sometimes you just don't see anything worth photo'ing, other times the potential photos going flying past you like ducks on opening day!  It's very difficult for me to pick just four, but I'll try.

1. Cow beauty parlor.  Getting your kid's 4H project cow ready (here, an Angus heifer) is a job for the entire family.  All hands are busy grooming, washing, and trimming.  Discarded beauty products litter the ground.  Most families have a "beauty secret" they won't share.  There isn't much money in it if you win the blue ribbon, but there is a lot of pride to take it home, and then display it on your stall next year. :)

2. A kiss for luck.  I saw a few girls kiss their cow (actually feeder calf of either sex) for luck while waiting to enter the arena.  I didn't see any guys do that though. ;D  I asked the kids if they had named their cow, and all had.  I was surprised.  Most farm kids learn at an early age to not get emotionally involved with the farm animals.  Eventually all are sold and loaded on the truck to become hamburger.  It's a tough way to grow up.  After taking the photo, I told the girl that if she kissed her Simmental again it might turn into a prince, albeit maybe a chubby one.  She blushed. :)

3.  Little kid; big Hereford.  It was amazing to see these little kids handling animals that were twenty times bigger than they were! :o  This little 4H boy was clearly proud of his 1435 pound steer!

4.  The pay off.  This kid came in fifth with his Hereford feeder calf and received a $20 bill and a ribbon.  That's enough to buy a big bottle of "Mane & Tail," maybe. 

These photos are of an tradition that is disappearing.  As farms & ranches grow bigger and more mechanized, there are fewer people living on them.  I saw corn planters at the fair that could plant 36 rows at a pass-->60 feet wide!  Cattle herds on a single ranch can be over a thousand head. (There are 5 cattle for every human in the state.)  As I wandered about I had to wonder what the fair will look like in ~50 years.  I do not live on a farm but mix easily with the people who do.  Most are friendly, especially at an exciting annual gathering such as the state fair.  I had no problem walking up and beginning a conversation, usually joking around a bit.  This quickly put them at ease as I wandered about the spaces tightly packed with people and large animals, and took a few liberties with where I took photos from.  I think my photos might have been a little better if I used my flash (Nikon SB-910), but I was very hesitant to start popping off flash in a place full of anxious/nervous animals considerably larger than I, and only nominally under the control of 10 year old girls!

I did consider putting these photos on the "street showcase," as they are candid shots about the interactions in a crowd (albeit interactions between people and animals.)  In the end I think these are a better fit for photo journalism.   Any thoughts on this?  Any thoughts on the photos as a group?  Did you get a sense of being there from them?

Kent in SD
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:11:12 am by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Moooo 2
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:14:47 am »

... I asked the kids if they had named their cow, and all had.  I was surprised...

Funny you said that. When I was working in the American embassy in Yugoslavia, consular officers needed a reasonable indication that travel visa applicants have something to return to; family, business, land, etc. Knowing that, some applicants would pretend to be farmers. Consular officers would then ask them for the name of their cow  :)

As for the pictures, color makes them too realistic, snapshotish. And to think you had that FP4 handy. Pushed one or two stops would have done wonders. Or so I think.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:19:24 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 10:58:53 am »

Hi Kent,

Never went to a state fair when we lived in South Dakota, but I used to go nearly every year when we lived in Colorado. I especially enjoyed watching the kids march their pigs past the judges. Somewhere I have a bunch of pictures from those fairs. Here's one of my favorites. That goat just didn't want to follow instructions.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

francois

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:08:02 am »

I like the story and the shots. My favorite is the third one, the young kid seems very proud to handle such a massive animal!
Francois

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 12:14:03 pm »

In this case, I think B/W would be fake and boring. I like it in color, gives effectively a sense of being there. For me not 'snapshottish' at all...

GreggP

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 12:38:35 pm »

I like them all. Color's fine but B&W would work too. My favorite is #2.

Two23

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 04:37:55 pm »

I took a meter reading inside the building, and there was no way the Leica was going to work. I started shooting ISO 800 with the D500 and quickly moved to ISO 1600, often shooting f2.8 to f4 at that.  The action was generally fleeting and I had to move fast to catch anything.  That's where the AF of the D500 really shines!  The Leica would never have kept up.  It was a fairly crowded place, dim light, with people and animals constantly moving in & out.  I had my best luck positioning myself at a good angle near a hot spot, and waiting for a photo to assemble itself in front of me.  As for B&W, I did consider it and normally shoot this kind of thing with a film camera & Ilford film, but here I liked the colors of the 4H kids' t-shirts and felt that color gave a better separation from the always busy background.  I've always had good luck nailing interesting photos at state fairs.  There's a lot of movement, color, and energy there. :)  Here's a few more I liked:

1. The cow wash
2. Tug of war
3. Judging in the arena

The rods the kids are holding had a short dull spur on the end that stuck out at a right angle.  They used it to tickle the belly of the cow.  This distracted it and helped them to stand still.  It's not natural for cattle to stand in a straight line--they want to form a herd. :)

Kent in SD

Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 05:08:42 pm »

This is an excellent set.
Your timing is excellent in all of them, and I like the color versions.
(Of course, you could easily convert them to B&W for Slobodan, if you choose.)

Of all of them, I think "Tug of war" is my favorite.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 12:27:38 am »

Best part of fairs are the kids and their livestock :-)

For 30+ years, as a former 4Her, I've been delighted to photograph the livestock auction at my fair. But highlight of our fair has to be the "Livestock Beauty Pageant" where the kids take their chickens, sheep, goats, hogs and steers, dress them up and sometimes dress themselves up. Cuteness with a factor of 10x!

Fairs have centuries of a rich history of local competition for the betterment of all and for bragging rights to feed the ego. They are proving grounds for youth to enter into friendly competition, learn to excel and reap the rewards of continual improving of their exhibits and showmanship. For our community, it's a an annual gathering, a summer tradition and right of passage.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 08:32:01 am »

Delightful, Larry.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up