Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How get tools from desktop to laptop  (Read 874 times)

kevs

How get tools from desktop to laptop
« on: September 02, 2018, 03:56:45 pm »

The Pita, is CC... how get customized tools I've make on dektop over to laptop? I've tried few things copying over setting, preferences, still stumped.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Garnick

Re: How get tools from desktop to laptop
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:51:15 am »

The Pita, is CC... how get customized tools I've make on dektop over to laptop? I've tried few things copying over setting, preferences, still stumped.

It's early morning and I haven't put a lot of thought into this, but my first question is - after copying all of the necessary parts, did you restart your laptop?  If what you have done could possibly work, there's little chance that it would without a restart, regardless.  Next question - In what program are these "custom tools" intended to be used?  If it's Photoshop, you would have to install them somewhere within the PS folder.  If they are in the form of a plugin that's pretty straight forward, put them in the "plugins" folder of PS.  However, I believe we would require a lot more information in order to help you with this.  There are many folks on this forum who have much more knowledge about such things than I have, so with the proper information from you they might be able to help.  Another approach could possibly be to create an installer for each tool or set of tools, just a guess.   
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:54:24 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 02:09:00 pm »

More information needed! What "tools"? For which application? Under what OS? Same OS on both machines? Etc.

If they're Macs, restarting the machine is very unlikely to be necessary, but quitting and restarting the apps might be.

Jeremy

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 03:32:11 pm »

If the "tools" are PS plugins but with no installers, they can of course be dragged or copied to the PS Plugins folder.  However, for PS to access them one would have to restart PS, or whatever app that will be using these "tools".  I apologize for not being more specific, since I did not mean a computer restart.  It was rather early and I did not proof read before posting.

Gary
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 03:35:40 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

kevs

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 07:02:39 pm »

For tools on my desktop, I changed some of the keyboard shortcuts. I dont see them working on the laptop.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 03:46:30 am »

For tools on my desktop, I changed some of the keyboard shortcuts. I dont see them working on the laptop.

That answers none of my questions and seems to be a different problem from your original query.

Jeremy

kevs

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 04:05:58 pm »

THANKS JEREMY, you may be right.
Looks like a good ol keyboard shortcut issue. Shortcuts I'm using on desktop are ok. Somehow I brought them over from 2017 to 2018.  But it's not sticking to the laptop CC 2018.
Pages: [1]   Go Up