Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plitvice Lakes, Croatia  (Read 1942 times)

stever

Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
« on: September 01, 2018, 02:09:25 pm »

I'm only going to be there for an afternoon and morning driving from Zagreb to Split. 

Recommendations?

Dave Ellis

Re: Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 02:16:16 am »

We were there in May this year and it was very busy during the middle of the day (we were on a bus tour and couldn't choose our visiting time). The boardwalks were very crowded and it was virtually impossible to take a long exposure on a tripod! So I would suggest leaving your photography until late afternoon and then get there early the next morning for some more photography.

It is a beautiful place with plenty of photo opportunities. You probably won't have time to cover the whole park and I would suggest looking at Plitvice Lakes Website. If you have a look under "Plan Your Visit" and then "Lakes Tours Programs" you will find a number of different walking plans. We did what was effectively Plan B. This involves a boat trip and there was a long wait to get on the boat however this may be OK later in the afternoon. The bright red sections of the route take you past a variety of cascades and waterfalls (including the big one) and shouldn't be missed in my view.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:03:17 am by Dave Ellis »

stever

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:55:29 pm »

Thanks

That's quite an operation - hope it won't be too crowded the end of Sep.
From their commercial photography rates looks like i might get hassled setting up a tripod.

capital

• Website
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 01:57:32 am »

If you have not heard about this reporting, I think it gives some current environmental issues surrounding tourism to this area.
https://www.dw.com/en/croatia-pristine-nature-in-peril/av-43891996

stever

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 07:09:51 pm »

Follow up

Based on the advice of our Dolomites guide we went to the lower lakes about 4pm Sep 27 and the upper lakes at 8am (which is when the boat starts) the next morning.  In the afternoon there were still big crowds and loads of people taking selfies - and the light was not very good either. I think pretty nearly all the falls are best with morning light.  We had the upper lakes almost to ourselves until about 9:45, and by 10:15 when we finished the trail was getting crowded.  The early morning was very pleasant and I got some decent shots, but nothing fantastic.  The board walks limit the shooting options and become a nightmare when the crowds arrive.

Apparently UNESCO has told the Park to cut the number of visitors in half or they will withdraw support.  That would still be way too many people for me.

Bottom line - if you're passing through it's worth spending a couple hours in the morning - otherwise, it's not worth a trip.

lukaesenko

• Photography website
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 05:42:12 am »

The map with the red trail does not take you to the most beautiful part of the lakes. My advice is to spend most of the time around P2 and about 1/3 of the way to St3. If you stay late in the afternoon, most of the tour groups will leave and only few individual visitors will be around. There's also the elevated viewpoint nearby, the one where you see the big waterfall of the upper lakes.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 10:09:16 am »

Have you also considered the waterfalls in the Krka National Park near Sibenik on the way to Split?  There is a really nice boardwalk round them.  Another thought is the Zrmanja Canyon near Zadar.  See 2 of my images.  If you are in a car, Zrmanja may need planning as boat trips tend to go from one end to the other.  Both Zadar and Split are attractive towns, both worth a visit.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 10:17:39 am »

In my previous e-mail I meant to write Sibenik is a nice town, not Split.  Split is a city and Diocletian's Palace there is amazing.

I blame it on my dyslexic fingers!

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up