Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I measure dMax with i1Pro?  (Read 1360 times)

narikin

How do I measure dMax with i1Pro?
« on: September 01, 2018, 08:54:37 am »

Hi, sorry for what is probably a dumb question, but how do I measure dMax with my i1 Pro? (original i1 Pro kit)

Been trying some different media profiles, and visually see difference in Max black, but want to put numbers on that.
Also have i1 Publish, which I use to build my profiles. (with an Isis)

thanks

(I print from a Windows workstation, if that has any relevance)

Doug Gray

Re: How do I measure dMax with i1Pro?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 11:44:56 am »

Hi, sorry for what is probably a dumb question, but how do I measure dMax with my i1 Pro? (original i1 Pro kit)

Been trying some different media profiles, and visually see difference in Max black, but want to put numbers on that.
Also have i1 Publish, which I use to build my profiles. (with an Isis)

thanks

(I print from a Windows workstation, if that has any relevance)

When you read a profile chart with I1Profiler make sure you are advanced mode. Then click on the black patch (R=G=B=0). On the left side scroll down to the bottom. Density values (with all their lovely variations the prepress biz uses) are readable directly.

Otherwise, using a spot reader that reads XYZ directly, the formula -Log10(Y) yields density assuming Y is scaled 0-1.

narikin

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 12:59:51 pm »

Thanks Doug. I am not reading a profiling chart, but simply a max density test step wedge.
But I'll give it all a try.

Doug Gray

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:15:49 pm »

Thanks Doug. I am not reading a profiling chart, but simply a max density test step wedge.
But I'll give it all a try.
You can get the same thing with a step wedge by creating a custom measurement grid (1x22) or whatever if you want to read the whole grid using I1Profiler. Spot read with the I1Pro then read out the density (lower left - may have to scroll down)

aaronchan

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 01:23:25 pm »

If you have a pc loaded with windows, you can download profilemaker from xrite website. And use measure tool to do a spot measure with your i1pro

Not for Mac user unless you have one machine loaded with snow leopard or even earlier version of OS X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

narikin

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 06:03:43 pm »

If you have a pc loaded with windows, you can download profilemaker from xrite website. And use measure tool to do a spot measure with your i1pro

Thanks. Good to be reminded of that.

I think I had that on an earlier machine, but  then never installed it on the current workstation, once i1 Publish was released. I remember having the ability to spot measure, and do ambient light in a gallery even (useful for building profiles to the correct light source) but couldn't recall how/where I did that!

Pages: [1]   Go Up