Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dam birds  (Read 5654 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Dam birds
« on: September 01, 2018, 03:40:20 am »

I seldom feel moved to comment on feature articles, but some of the photos in this one are truly wonderful. What a way to have spent a year!

Jeremy

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Dam birds
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 04:26:39 am »

+1,   beautiful photography ...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:52:35 am »

Superb. Highly imaginative, innovative and well-executed photography.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Krug

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 09:33:27 am »

To my eye many of these images rank among the most creative and beautiful that I have seen for a very long time -  a fascinatingly different  take on nature photography but more than that excellent commentary on a nature v development issue, a good element of humour, and some real artistic flair - very well done and for my penny a very productive grant result.
Excellent - made my morning - thank you to all involved from grant decision through to execution and delivery.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 09:39:30 am »

As is my usual want I scrolled through to look at the images.  I then went back and read the article and was even more engaged.  Lastly (and strongly recommended) I visited Paula Van Every's website.  Many more images, also presented larger for the peepers amongst us ...

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 09:41:20 am »

She is really very good. The Luminous Endowment has done a superb job of "surfacing" real talent, with real ideas.

vjbelle

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 09:54:31 am »

I am not much of a wildlife photographer or fan but these images could make me a convert.  Very well thought out with superb execution. 

Victor

TommyWeir

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 10:03:15 am »

Fantastic imagery.  The lyrical visual quality of the birds and their lives, the brutal industrial concrete, the endless vitality of the water, and then, the light she so clearly can see and capture.   Great stuff.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 12:15:43 pm »

A stunning accomplishment. Fine art of the best sort.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JohnTrammell

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 03:10:45 pm »

Fabulous photographic essay, and narrative by the photographer.

ajz

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 03:17:03 pm »

Kevin,

A very worthy recipient of the Endowment that Michael started!

alan z

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 05:50:54 pm »

It's good to see, this got supported. Great photography. Thanks.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 08:49:41 pm »

As is my usual want I scrolled through to look at the images.  I then went back and read the article and was even more engaged.  Lastly (and strongly recommended) I visited Paula Van Every's website.  Many more images, also presented larger for the peepers amongst us ...
I agree.
I just visited her website, and there is a fine set from 2016, including the ones in the LuLa article.
And then she returned to the dam this year, and I believe the new images are even stronger that the 2016 ones.
Fantastic work.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 03:54:02 am »

Thanks for reminding me to visit her site, Eric: there are indeed some gorgeous photos there.

One thing that puzzles me is the prize-winning shot (on the LuLa page). It's fine, but it doesn't strike me as anywhere near as good as at least half of the others and I wonder how it got to be singled out.

Jeremy

Paula VE

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 12:18:20 pm »

I seldom feel moved to comment on feature articles, but some of the photos in this one are truly wonderful. What a way to have spent a year!

Jeremy

Thank you so much for the kind words and especially for taking the time to start a discussion on my project. I’m accustomed to submitting or responding to images for feedback in forums, but it was an almost surreal experience to see a topic on my dam bird project started by someone else. I felt so honored! (I’ve been observing since your thread opened but have been flummoxed by LULA’s security protections for posting.)

Trying to respond to your question about the “prize image”: were you asking about “Small Dispute”?? If so, it was a winner in a 2017 state outdoor photo contest with particular constraints. LULA awarded their grant based on the initial application set, with none singled out. Most of the images in this article were shot during the year of the LULA grant and just scattered kinda randomly through the narrative.

Paula VE

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 12:23:00 pm »

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments, and for taking the time to look at my portfolio. I am so pleased (and relieved) that some of the photographers frequenting LULA found my work interesting.

Paula VE

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 12:25:51 pm »

Superb. Highly imaginative, innovative and well-executed photography.

Thank you for these comments on my birds. (Imagination is my strong suit but execution is always my challenge.)

Paula VE

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 12:34:47 pm »

To my eye many of these images rank among the most creative and beautiful that I have seen for a very long time -  a fascinatingly different  take on nature photography but more than that excellent commentary on a nature v development issue, a good element of humour, and some real artistic flair - very well done and for my penny a very productive grant result.
Excellent - made my morning - thank you to all involved from grant decision through to execution and delivery.

I’m honored and humbled by your comments, and especially pleased that you saw so much of my intent, including the humour that lurks in some of them. These birds often make me laugh but I’m never sure I can capture their comedy - or their drama - in images. Thank you so much for taking time to say these things!

Paula VE

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 12:43:37 pm »

She is really very good. The Luminous Endowment has done a superb job of "surfacing" real talent, with real ideas.

Thank you for this, and I’m pretty sure you’re the same guy who did the very nice LULA article on women photographers; if so, thank you for that too!!

Paula VE

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 12:48:41 pm »

I am not much of a wildlife photographer or fan but these images could make me a convert.  Very well thought out with superb execution. 

Victor

Thank you! I am not a wildlife photographer either, to be honest. I am a landscaper by preference and practice. I first approached the dam bird images as landscape pictures with birds and concrete in them. Of course that changed as I got to know the birds. Then I began to focus on the actors and considered the dam their stage set.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up