Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: château  (Read 946 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
château
« on: August 31, 2018, 02:24:47 pm »

For some reason which I can't quite fathom, the owners weren't keen on using this as a publicity shot.

It's actually idyllic.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: château
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 02:31:12 pm »

Very nice, Jeremy. How did you get the ghosts in the place to make the sky do that?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 03:59:04 pm »

For some reason which I can't quite fathom, the owners weren't keen on using this as a publicity shot.

It's actually idyllic.

Jeremy
Maybe they would have, if you had Count Dracula in one of the windows.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 06:40:24 pm »

Cool photo...I think if it were rotated and corrected for keystone, it'd be stronger.

degrub

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 08:14:48 pm »

cool effect. But i can see why the owners may not have used it. The sky is too busy for the detail in the brickwork and vegetation. A nice boring few clouds on a blue sky day might have worked better. They conflict rather than complement.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 03:52:42 am »

Very nice, Jeremy. How did you get the ghosts in the place to make the sky do that?

I've been there several times. We get on very well.

Cool photo...I think if it were rotated and corrected for keystone, it'd be stronger.

I mused on a keystone correction but it involved loss of too much of the right-hand side of the image, after cropping. I might see whether CAF can assist. What do you mean by "rotated"?

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 03:53:28 am »

cool effect. But i can see why the owners may not have used it. The sky is too busy for the detail in the brickwork and vegetation. A nice boring few clouds on a blue sky day might have worked better. They conflict rather than complement.

Agreed.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 04:48:23 am »

I think it was Constable who painted one of the Abbeys in his valley who got told the painting depicts the church as a too much of foreboding place. I think he did it on purpose though and wasn't too concerned when the painting was not used.

What does the colour version look like Jeremy? Perhaps this sufefrs the same fate as the painting?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 09:07:33 am »

When I implied that I couldn't understand why the owners (my wife's uncle and aunt) didn't want to use it as a publicity photo, I had my tongue firmly in my cheek. I know exactly why: they rent it out as a lovely place for a holiday, not as a location for Halloween horror films.

There is no usable colour version of this shot, which was made using an infrared filter in order to get the exposure up to 90 seconds. Here are one I took a long time (11 years, now I check the date: how time flies) ago, in nicer weather, and a keystone-corrected version of the first.

Jeremy

(The owners' site is here; this is Lamostonie.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:17:03 am by Jeremy Roussak »

Telecaster

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 05:24:28 pm »

I like the initial photo uncorrected. Along with the crazy sky the keystoning adds to the overall vibe of off-kilter.

-Dave-

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 06:47:09 pm »

I like the initial photo uncorrected. Along with the crazy sky the keystoning adds to the overall vibe of off-kilter.

-Dave-
Me too.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 03:43:30 am »

So do I; but since I'd posted the photo and asked for comment, it would have been churlish to ignore the suggestion.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 08:12:25 am »

I think it was Constable who painted one of the Abbeys in his valley who got told the painting depicts the church as a too much of foreboding place. I think he did it on purpose though and wasn't too concerned when the painting was not used.

What does the colour version look like Jeremy? Perhaps this sufefrs the same fate as the painting?

They look different in France, and especially when you can't get into the nearby Logis because it's been booked solid by hunters. No wonder I support banning guns in America! Their evil spreads!

Jeremy, is that the chateau (circumflex exists on this iPad but I can't suss how to employ it) that you were going to use for the cancelled celebration?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:15:59 am by Rob C »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 12:55:21 pm »

They look different in France, and especially when you can't get into the nearby Logis because it's been booked solid by hunters. No wonder I support banning guns in America! Their evil spreads!

Jeremy, is that the chateau (circumflex exists on this iPad but I can't suss how to employ it) that you were going to use for the cancelled celebration?

La chasse is phenomenally popular in that part of the world, and even more so further west, where my wife's mother lived. There's a very high murder rate, too: lots of small communities, people isolated, everyone has a shotgun, petty jealousies and illicit liaisons... I'm reminded also, of course, of Tom Lehrer's wonderful hunting song.

It's complex, Rob. No - we were all going to stay at one of their others, Cardou (where my "curve" shot was taken, in fact). That was obviously severely disrupted, and by chance the group who had rented this one for the following week cancelled, so Bill and Jo, who own it, said we could have it for a few days. It was nice to have some time to recover.

Circumflex: press and hold the e and a range of accented characters will appear.

I like your Abbey pic.

Jeremy

(For those who don't know and may be puzzled by it, Rob's comment relates to the sudden death of my mother-in-law at the beginning of August, just before we were due to have a house party for a week at Cardou.)

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 03:03:32 pm »

La chasse is phenomenally popular in that part of the world, and even more so further west, where my wife's mother lived. There's a very high murder rate, too: lots of small communities, people isolated, everyone has a shotgun, petty jealousies and illicit liaisons... I'm reminded also, of course, of Tom Lehrer's wonderful hunting song.

It's complex, Rob. No - we were all going to stay at one of their others, Cardou (where my "curve" shot was taken, in fact). That was obviously severely disrupted, and by chance the group who had rented this one for the following week cancelled, so Bill and Jo, who own it, said we could have it for a few days. It was nice to have some time to recover.

Circumflex: press and hold the e and a range of accented characters will appear.

I like your Abbey pic.

Jeremy

(For those who don't know and may be puzzled by it, Rob's comment relates to the sudden death of my mother-in-law at the beginning of August, just before we were due to have a house party for a week at Cardou.)

Aha! Then that's yet another trick I've been taught with iPads!

Thanks, Jeremy, all I need do now is remember it.

It wasn't until we began our car trips back and forth to Scotland from Mallorca that I realised just how vast and apparently empty so much of France seems be; it's easy to understand how small groups of people marooned far from cities develop some form or another of cabin fever. In a way, it manifests itself out here amongst the expats too, as most don't have any desire to integrate or learn the language, the very vice for which they curse the foreigners in the UK... that said, it isn't easy to get close because these are essentially island folks who often think very badly even of the Spanish mainlanders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up