Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P7000  (Read 1208 times)

TommyWeir

Epson P7000
« on: August 31, 2018, 11:07:23 am »

Looking to upgrade beyond my trusty but small Epson P600 to a 24" wide printer and am considering the P7000.  Anyone with experience of this printer on here?  Any caveats or tips?  I'll be using it primarily for black and whites.

Garnick

Re: Epson P7000
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 11:30:16 am »

Looking to upgrade beyond my trusty but small Epson P600 to a 24" wide printer and am considering the P7000.  Anyone with experience of this printer on here?  Any caveats or tips?  I'll be using it primarily for black and whites.

Hello Tommy,

I've been using Epson Pro Graphic Printers since 2004 with great results, starting with the SP7600(24").  My former one was the SP 9900(44"), but when I moved my business to my home location I downsized to the P7000.  That was in early 2017 and so far the printer has been working just as I expected.  A few nozzle drop-outs occasionally, but nothing that can't be fixed with a pairs cleaning cycle.  I don't print a lot of B&W, but I've always found these printers to produce very good results if done correctly.  I seldom use ABW, usually the Epson driver does a very acceptable job.  But of course you know most of what I have mentioned.  These machines are work horses when properly maintained, which includes providing enough humidity in the drier months to avoid too many nozzle issues.  And of course the volume of printing will have a positive  effect as well.  It is quite obvious that the more humid months are more friendly to these printers.  You will receive more replies and some may disagree with some of what I have written, but I can only express my opinion concerning this printer.  One very favourable aspect is the loading of large sheets and rolls of Fine Art Papers and Canvas, since I have read about the issues some folks have with the 17" versions.  And again I can only go by what I read from those who have experienced such issues. 

I hope this will help and I know you will love the P7000 if you purchase one.

Gary   

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:55:48 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

JeanMichel

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:03:16 pm »

Pretty much agree with all of what Gary wrote. I have the P6000 and am very happy with it; although I probably do not use as much as I should I have not experienced any issues with clogging.
I also have the P800, I print daily on it.
If I wasn't a 'control freak' regarding my printing I would definitely keep the P800 and perhaps out-source my larger prints to Gary (we are almost neighbours).

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 01:15:49 pm »

"If I wasn't a 'control freak' regarding my printing I would definitely keep the P800 and perhaps out-source my larger prints to Gary (we are almost neighbours)".

OK Jean, now you have me wondering.  I seem to recall us talking about this at some point, but I cannot remember when.  Have we met or have I done work for you previously? Somehow your name is familiar, but with my deteriorating memory it just isn't there at the moment.  You have the upper hand in this discussion, so please fill me in  :) .

Gary
Gary N.

TommyWeir

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 02:29:46 pm »

Thanks guys.  Not much issue with humidity in Ireland’s North West.  I only had to clean my P600 once in the past two years.

I’m quite regular with my printing but I’m hoping the occasional two week gap would be fine.  Certainly has been with the smaller model.

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 03:58:13 pm »

"If I wasn't a 'control freak' regarding my printing I would definitely keep the P800 and perhaps out-source my larger prints to Gary (we are almost neighbours)".

OK Jean, now you have me wondering.  I seem to recall us talking about this at some point, but I cannot remember when.  Have we met or have I done work for you previously? Somehow your name is familiar, but with my deteriorating memory it just isn't there at the moment.  You have the upper hand in this discussion, so please fill me in  :) .

Gary

Gary,
We never met, but we know some of the same artists, for one of whom you do, or did, printing. I don't remember what subject we both posted, might have  been about the DIY canvas stretcher systems; it was around the time that you moved from the Aldsworth property. I'm in Courtice.

Tommy,
This past summer, I was out of the country for well over a month, hadn't used my P6000 for two or three weeks before that, and did not get to use it for another three weeks after returning. I turned on the printer, it did its starting up protocol, I printed the nozzle check and it was totally fine – made me happy! Since then, I only had to a single pairs cleaning. In spite of not using the P6000 as much as I should, and being very happy with my P800, I sort of regret not having purchased the larger 44" version - the price differential is not so great, but it does take up a bit more real estate. I occasionally have requests for prints larger than I can produce.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:51:02 pm by JeanMichel »

TommyWeir

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 05:00:03 pm »

Jean, I have always liked 28 x 20 as an image size and figured a 2" border all round would suit as a regular size to print for my purposes at least.  I will only have occasional use for larger and the real estate is just not available to me.  Frankly the real estate required for the P7000 will be problematic as it is!

But I have thought about what you raise... :-)

I'll just have to outsource anything larger I think.

gkroeger

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 05:09:12 pm »

I've had my P7000 since February and love it. Replaced both a P800 and 7800.  I try to run a nozzle check once a week when I am not printing. I do 4 on one page of plain paper using almost no ink. But I have gone as long as 3 weeks with no prints or nozzle checks and no clogs!

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 08:04:47 am »

I've had my P7000 since February and love it. Replaced both a P800 and 7800.  I try to run a nozzle check once a week when I am not printing. I do 4 on one page of plain paper using almost no ink. But I have gone as long as 3 weeks with no prints or nozzle checks and no clogs!

Just an early morning thought.  Here's my extra cheap approach to printing nozzle check patterns.  On plain paper, one pattern on each end on both sides = 4 patterns.  Trim off the two patterns on one end and print another pattern on each side.  Grand total = 6 patterns on one sheet.  Trim off all patterns and keep the used paper for scratch pads etc.  OK, Super Cheap, but it works, and I had nothing else to do  :)

Gary   
Gary N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up