Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating Lightroom from old iMac to new iMac via Migration Assistant  (Read 1462 times)

djcook

Hi Friends,

I'm planning to set up a new iMac and would like to migrate from my old iMac (High Sierra) all my current photo applications.  These include Lightroom & Photoshop subscription version, DXO Nik collection, ON1 2017 version, Luminar & MacPhun apps; besides the usual user account data, etc.

I am planning to use the Migration Assistant (at the end of the Setup Assistant process) to move all my current applications.

Any caveats?  Tips, etc.?
(I've posted this over on the dpreview Mac forum as well.

Thanks very much,

David

ButchM

Re: Migrating Lightroom from old iMac to new iMac via Migration Assistant
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 02:15:14 pm »

Hi Friends,

I'm planning to set up a new iMac and would like to migrate from my old iMac (High Sierra) all my current photo applications.  These include Lightroom & Photoshop subscription version, DXO Nik collection, ON1 2017 version, Luminar & MacPhun apps; besides the usual user account data, etc.

I am planning to use the Migration Assistant (at the end of the Setup Assistant process) to move all my current applications.

Any caveats?  Tips, etc.?
(I've posted this over on the dpreview Mac forum as well.

Thanks very much,

David

Shouldn't be a problem. Migration Assistant does a pretty good job.

Two items to look out for though, especially if you are retiring or reselling the old computer.  1. Make sure to sign out of your Creative Cloud account on the old computer before the transfer, then sign back in on the new computer after the migration is complete. 2. Make sure al your current third party supporting apps, plugins, extensions and other tools are compatible with the the new version of macOS on the new computer.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 02:46:22 pm »

The only caveat perhaps is if you've been storing some or all images on the older machine drive and using Lightroom which will need to know the NEW location. Do this from within LR. You can try the Update Folder Location command to do so.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

djcook

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:02:52 pm »

Thanks guys,

I appreciate the info.  Good idea about signing out of CC account prior to migration & thanks for the tip about drive location.  The old iMac and new one should have matching OS version so hoping that'll make things go a little smoother.

Dave

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 06:12:42 pm »

You can also deactivate your old computer from your adobe account using a web browser from anywhere

John Caldwell

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:24:54 pm »

Assuming your LR catalog file and images are not on the boot drive of your old computer, I would not use Migration. Just install Creative Cloud on your new machine, and then install your Adobe apps from Creative Cloud onto your new machine. Depending on how many authorizations you have unused, you may need to deactivate your old machine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up