Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A lament  (Read 2149 times)

John McDermott

A lament
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:47:40 pm »

I find that most users do not fill in their location and age in their profile. This causes me much frustration when a posting mentions a geographical area I am not familiar with and a check of the poster's profile gives no clue where in the world he/she is from. And why are people shy about their age. I'm 80 and proud of it and my profile reflects that.
John E. McDermott

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: A lament
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 12:40:51 am »

Well, I'm from Newton, Massachusetts, U.S.A., and I'm only 79, but I'm planning to stay that age for another twenty years or so.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 03:45:00 am »

Don't let age worry you: it's gonna kill you in the end, so why waste time with the worry?

The real problem with age is that you realise that everything is contained within a circle, vicious or otherwise is just fortune. If you knew that - to the extent that you believed it - when young, you'd have a far happier life removed from the horrors of trying to be best at everything when, in truth, you can only be what you already are...

That realisation is one of the rewards of hanging around a long time.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 03:53:17 am »

I find that most users do not fill in their location and age in their profile. This causes me much frustration when a posting mentions a geographical area I am not familiar with and a check of the poster's profile gives no clue where in the world he/she is from. And why are people shy about their age. I'm 80 and proud of it and my profile reflects that.

Why are you proud of being 80? You hardly contributed much to the passage of time - it just happens. I suppose there's the pleasure of being a contemporary of David Bailey, but I would rather be his contemporary in the manner that I was during the 60s.

As for the rest - let's hope we don't reach the point where we lose control of our bodily functions. Not much of which to be proud of then...

If I were to be asked which age was best, I'd say during my fifties and early sixties. With the pension came the heart problems and it is downhill without brakes ever afterwards.

So much for the idea of "pride" in age.

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 04:51:50 am »

Perhaps you could ask them for more information?
Phil Brown

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 06:08:59 am »

That's very reasonable, Phil.

Rob

John McDermott

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 10:00:25 am »

No. What I am asking is that everyone take a minute and fill in age and location in their profile. Too much to ask?
John E. McDermott

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 02:22:15 pm »

No. What I am asking is that everyone take a minute and fill in age and location in their profile. Too much to ask?

I think a lot of people are reluctant to offer up personal information to web services over fears of hacking and identity theft. LuLa doesn't ask for your age, it wants your birthday which is unnecessary information. I don't see age being relevant to most inquiries and discussions on the forums anyways.
I agree that a general location is useful information for a profile.

Mike

John McDermott

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 02:49:55 pm »

I think a lot of people are reluctant to offer up personal information to web services over fears of hacking and identity theft. LuLa doesn't ask for your age, it wants your birthday which is unnecessary information. I don't see age being relevant to most inquiries and discussions on the forums anyways.
I agree that a general location is useful information for a profile.

Mike

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here nor be too recalcitrant, but I do think age is something that does help define a person. A youngster without life experience is a different person than someone my age and that does factor into how I (anyone) approach and converse with them. Anyway, I hope I've created awareness that filling in the information in your profile helps to facilitate conversation.
Thanks to you who took the time to respond to this.
John E. McDermott

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 03:37:01 pm »

Why are you proud of being 80? You hardly contributed much to the passage of time - it just happens. I suppose there's the pleasure of being a contemporary of David Bailey, but I would rather be his contemporary in the manner that I was during the 60s.

As for the rest - let's hope we don't reach the point where we lose control of our bodily functions. Not much of which to be proud of then...

If I were to be asked which age was best, I'd say during my fifties and early sixties. With the pension came the heart problems and it is downhill without brakes ever afterwards.

So much for the idea of "pride" in age.

A lot of people misuse the word "pride" when they mean "glad." Pride is for something you have accomplished - graduating, job promotion, exhibition of you photos at the MMA. It is not for things you did not accomplish but just happened - your age, where you were born, your race.

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 05:17:16 pm »

I think there's a degree of pride involved in surviving long enough to be old(er) & cranky.  :D  Especially when you've survived things that could've killed you. I can think of three times when I could've easily died. In two of 'em I was just lucky. In the third, though, I know I'm sitting here typing this because I was smart & aware enough to duck at the right time.

-Dave-

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 06:02:18 pm »

I had just never bothered to fill that in but now I have. I seem to be on the younger side of things here at 47.
-MattB

Two23

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 06:29:02 pm »

OK, I filled in my general location.  I also added a signature line, and my favorite avatar!  As for my age, it doesn't matter.  It changes every year anyway.  I would like other options to put in age.  I'd like to fill in the blank as "AGE:  apprentice curmudgeon."  Age is as much an attitude as a number. ;)  An alternative to specifying your age might be to list how many cats you have. :D

Kent in SD

Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Two23

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 06:32:49 pm »

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here nor be too recalcitrant, but I do think age is something that does help define a person. A youngster without life experience is a different person......

I will add:  highly doubtful there are any "youngsters" on here.  They're mostly all sitting around playing on their phones.. ::)

Kent in SD

Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 07:57:55 pm »

It's not big thing to ask, of course, but if you have a specific query, why not ask that instead of trying to convince a whole lot of people to do something else for your benefit that they may prefer not to do?  Also, perhaps it's better to engage in a conversation with a more neutral perspective at times, not influenced by the bias we all apply to various atttributes?

Also, age and experience aren't the same thing (and are different again to ability).
Phil Brown

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 03:28:49 am »

Ok, 47 yrs., 1 cat. Where's my phone?!?!? 
;-)

stamper

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 03:47:17 am »

Yes. Most people think that their age is their own business.

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 04:14:54 am »

Yes. Most people think that their age is their own business.

Personally, I blame my parents.

Rob

John McDermott

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 09:48:10 am »

I seem to have sparked a lively conversation: a good thing, not a bad thing to borrow a popular phrase - at least here in the USA.
John E. McDermott
Pages: [1]   Go Up