Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 7.5 Map and Library Module Oddities  (Read 1390 times)

mbaginy

LR 7.5 Map and Library Module Oddities
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:13:04 am »

I’ve noticed some oddities following the recent update of LR Classic CC (7.5).

Firstly, in the Map Module I highlight some images, then drag & drop them to the spot shown on the map but nothing happens.  It often takes five or more drag & drop attempts before the images finally locate to the map.  Only very seldom, do the highlighted images drag & drop at the first attempt, as they should (and as they have in the past).

The second strange phenomenon is that following import, I open an image in the Library Module.  Then I select one image and it shows properly as size fit to the screen.  But then clicking the image to show 1:1 doesn’t function, the image only increases very slightly in size.  I need to select 2:1, then perform further functions such as adding keywords and further metadata.  Then, suddenly, the 1:1 function works properly in the Library Module.  When processing an image in the Develop Module, this phenomenon doesn’t happen - clicking on an image properly increases size to 1:1.

Has anyone else notice these oddities and if so, have you been able to overcome them?  If so, how?

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: LR 7.5 Map and Library Module Oddities
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 12:20:04 pm »

Has anyone else notice these oddities and if so, have you been able to overcome them?  If so, how?

I'm not experiencing either of these problems.  Is your platform MS Windows?  I'm running MacOS 10.13.6.

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 12:22:55 pm »

Mac OS 10.13.6
LR functioned properly before the LR update.  Only since the last update did this begin.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 12:49:14 pm »

LR functioned properly before the LR update.  Only since the last update did this begin.

I've also updated to Lightroom desktop ("Classic") v. 7.5 and I'm not seeing either of these problems.  Since we're both running the same version of MacOS, there must be some difference between another aspect of our respective environments.  Something related to your LR preference settings, perhaps?

As an aside—I have no particular reason to believe this is the reason for your current geotagging problem—I've occasionally experienced transitory strangeness with that Map Module that appeared to have been caused by Internet connectivity issues.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 01:00:23 pm »

Firstly, in the Map Module I highlight some images, then drag & drop them to the spot shown on the map but nothing happens.  It often takes five or more drag & drop attempts before the images finally locate to the map.  Only very seldom, do the highlighted images drag & drop at the first attempt, as they should (and as they have in the past).

I am seeing something very like this and suspect it's a bug. I am still trying to figure the circumstances when it works and when not.

rebadurchee

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 04:21:30 pm »

I don't use the Map module but I am experiencing the Library "feature".  When it happens to me there is a little message that pops up in the lower right corner saying "embedded preview."  Here is a blog post from Adobe that might explain it:

http://blogs.adobe.com/sunil/2017/10/18/embedded-preview-workflow-in-lightroom-classic/

But the post was dated October 2017.  I only started seeing this a couple of months ago when I got a Sony a6500.   Just went back to check on my D800E photos and no bug in Library module.

It does say that with some preview building it will show this 'embedded preview' lower quality enlarging, but never in the Develop module, which has been my experience so far.

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 01:24:27 am »

I had used the feature to use embedded previews since it became available.  My Fuji x-trans files were able to be viewed 1:1 without problems, just as my Canon 5D files - I saw no difference in handling these in the Library Module.  Only since the latest LR update has the problem I described occurred.  I'll check later, if my Canon files show that same strange performance.

This paragraph, from the link you provided, might explain the phenomenon I've encountered, though I can't completely understand what it means:

"Embedded preview is a camera preview, which is created by the camera, and is available with the raw image. Latest Nikon and Canon cameras have full size embedded previews. Means, the camera-generated embedded previews can be used for culling. Sony, Olympus, and Fuji cameras don’t have full sized embedded previews. In this case, Lightroom checks if the embedded preview size is 50% of that of the raw image. If not, the standard preview is created instead of reading the embedded preview. Create a jpg sidecar image along with the raw. If the image has the sidecar file, it’s being read for creating the preview in the Library module."

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 02:47:40 am »

Now you mention Fuji, I think I understand the issue. Fuji X-Trans cameras don't put a full size JPEG preview in the raw file - instead it is 2080 pixels. It's this "embedded preview" that Lightroom uses when you use the Embedded plus Sidecar workflow, and explains why zom only seemed to zoom in a little. But when Lightroom  finds the preview isn't full resolution it looks for a sidecar JPEG. So with my XT2 I shoot raw + JPEG as the latter is full resolution. So check that your Fuji is set to raw + normal.

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 02:58:25 am »

What you explain makes sense, John.  I'll need to check and play with settings when I'm home this afternoon.  Still, LR 7.5 must then have a different file / preview handling method for Fujifilm files, because I hadn't encountered this problem prior to the update.

I'll get back to you after toying with the settings later today.

John, not bad advice for a 17 year old kid!  ;)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 03:03:24 am »

I've not seen any difference between versions, Mike, except when I accidentally changed my Fuji to shooting raw only. With my Nikons raw+jpeg is unnecessary because their raw files do generally contain a full size embedded preview.

mbaginy

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 03:06:06 am »

I have all my Fujifilm cameras set to shoot raw only, as well as my Canons.  But I'll play with setting this afternoon - also not using embedded previews.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 08:28:28 am »

In the Import dialog, review the File Handling section and specifically the setting you're using for Preview Building.

mbaginy

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 09:50:26 am »

I've just run a "test", importing from the Fujifilm x-trans cameras, to LR.

First import was as I had imported the past months, including embedded previews.  Same performance as I had mentioned above - no preview at 1:1 possible.

The second import was done without embedded preview, but having LR create standard previews - as I did in the past, before Adobe mentioning the embedded preview possibility.  Result: each image could be viewed at 1:1 in the Library Module, as the case should be.

Bottom line for me: when importing Fujifilm images, I'll have standard previews created and forget the embedded preview thing.  I'll do the same for my Canon images since I'll surely forget to switch back and forth.  The embedded previews were nice, but the LR 7.5 update surely has negatively affected import of Fujifilm files, so I'll shy away from that neat shortcut.  ???  I can live with that.

Thanks for your help, everyone.  Now I'll hope for Adobe to correct the drag & drop of images in their Map Module without messing up anything else which is working just fine now.  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up