Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HPZ3200 not printing GE-how to diagnose  (Read 1055 times)

sharadn

HPZ3200 not printing GE-how to diagnose
« on: August 26, 2018, 08:16:32 am »

I am having a problem that my printer is not printing the GE when making a print. It lays it down perfectly when making a new color profile or when printing a diagnostic image both of which functions are fully handled by the printer.
This tells me that it is not a print head or cartridge problem. I am trying to determine if the problem is with the printer or with my computer driver setup. Brand new W10 install, latest drivers and firmware from HP. I am printing from Qimage. I had the problem before the fresh install and thought that a new OS/driver/firmware package would solve the problem. I am starting to think that the problem is on the printer end. Since it seems to work perfectly when performing functions that are only handled by the printer I wonder if the printer is not interpreting the information from the computer properly. Can someone please give some advice on how to go about diagnosing this problem?

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HPZ3200 not printing GE-how to diagnose
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 05:25:36 pm »

If you make a diagnostic image - check out the GE and Gray printhead image on the chart.  You should be able to tell if it's functioning properly there.

You can do a head cleaning choosing the one that includes GE/Gray head.
Another thing you can do to troubleshoot is to print an image out of Photoshop.  Depending upon which ICC profile you are using (and what preset the profile was based on), you should be given the choice in the print dialog box to choose GE on or off and some profiles come named with GE ON or GE OFF.

Once you've made the GE ON choice, the print dialog box will give you the option to do the whole sheet or econo-mode.

Just print out of Photoshop as a test, then try again out of Qimage.

If you can't get a proper print out of PS then you need to check into further.  My guess is that it might be pilot error, but it could also be a bad printhead.

Good luck -

Mark

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

sharadn

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 08:26:50 pm »

Mark, Thank you for replying. Was hoping you would chime in. I doubt it is a bad printhead. I have done a head cleaning a couple of times and the diagnostic print shows and ICC profile creation show that it is working fine at the printer level and does not appear to be a hardware issue. I was going to try to print out of PS next but have not yet gotten around to it. I have printed both versions of the profile with GE on and off from Qimage and there is just no GE going down during printing. I had the problem before a complete new OS/driver/firmware/Qimage install so now after going through that process and still having the issue I think it is with the printer. I will try with PS next. What is pilot error? Human error?

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 10:45:22 pm »

What is pilot error? Human error?

Yeah.  I find it easy to blame the equipment first, but frequently it’s a mistake I’ve made.  Oversights come in many flavors, but obviously, when there’s something wrong, there’s something wrong. 

I’m surprised the printer hasn’t thrown an error if the GE print head isn’t firing.  You could go into your logs and just check if there have been any errors or warnings. 

Another troubleshooting method would be to put some semi-gloss or luster paper in the printer and create a new custom profile for it and just boost the GE level in properties at the time you are defining the paper.

Knowing for sure you have GE turned on and have a custom profile for a paper that is known to be used with GE eliminates several variables.  Printing out of photoshop, with all that mentioned checked, should tell you something. 

Obviously, you’ve pulled both the GE cartridge, the GE/Gray printhead, cleaned them both and cleaned their receptacles?  A head alignment, more head cleaning, advance paper calibration, would be a good idea too.

One thing I have done in the past is to create color patches - squares covering a letter sized sheet, and print them out individually.  You may find GE working on some sheets and not others.

All of these suggestions are low hanging fruit if in fact you have a driver issue, but that doesn’t seem likely since I haven’t heard of this issue being reported. 

Before you go too far, however, maybe a call to HP support.  You could start by telling them your GE cartridge seems to be faulty, and you’d like a replacement.  They might walk you through some diagnostics and could hit on your problem if you’re lucky.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

sharadn

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 02:25:52 pm »

Mark, thank you for your input. I will work my way through the low hanging fruit and it I am lucky I will find the solution. I would be only too happy to find out it is "pilot error", very cheap to fix. If I have to go back to HP I will.

sharadn

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 08:29:59 am »

I pulled all the printheads, cleaned all contacts again, replaced the GE printhead and that seems to have done the trick. I thank you for all the help. It is great to have my printer running again!

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:15:16 pm »

The above post is not from HP.  It is from someone else.  First post - I don't know anything about them.
Enough said.

-M
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

sharadn

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 08:01:03 am »

I am the OP and am not associated with HP.  Just guy trying to make some decent prints in his basement. I am not sure what the whole HP thing is about but I am grateful for the help and knowledge that is available on this forum. I really like my Z3200 and having this forum as a resource is incredibly helpful in keeping my printer running without breaking the bank.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 08:50:38 am »

I am the OP and am not associated with HP.  Just guy trying to make some decent prints in his basement. I am not sure what the whole HP thing is about but I am grateful for the help and knowledge that is available on this forum. I really like my Z3200 and having this forum as a resource is incredibly helpful in keeping my printer running without breaking the bank.

No worries man.  There was a guy who had a username HPSupport or something like that - he pulled his post because I called him on it.
You're good.  Glad your printer is running well.  Sorry for the confusion - I should have quoted his post when I responded.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

sharadn

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 09:54:15 am »

Mark I always appreciate your support input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up