Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Four From Seattle  (Read 872 times)

Two23

Four From Seattle
« on: August 25, 2018, 02:07:26 pm »

I was in Washington & Seattle earlier this month, and ended up walking around down town one day with my camera of choice:  a 1937 Voigtlander Bessa RF with 105mm Heliar lens!  I loaded it with Ilford FP4.  The camera shoots 6x9cm format.  I first went to Pioneer Square as I've heard it was taken over by bums & addicts, but on arriving I found them all gone.  I took a photo of an older man playing jazz melodies on his clarinet.  Buskers are one of my favorite subjects, and I always drop a couple of bills into their hat before taking a photo.  Moving north to Pike Place market, I discovered a living nursery rhyme!  It was a woman playing a violin while wearing a large cat head!  I asked her to play "Hey diddle diddle, The cat & the fiddle" for me, and without speaking she obliged.  My wife stood nearby rolling her eyes. ::)  On to the space needle plaza where I found a real psychic giving a reading to a customer, and a couple of caricature artists and their seated customers.  That one was a tougher shot to get as the uncoated Heliar lens does NOT like shooting into the sun!  All shots were metered with a small Sekonic L-208.

While I'm not sure this is true "street", (will have to wait and see if I get the RSL stamp of approval  ;) ), I really enjoy wandering big cities with a vintage camera and a pocket full of 120 b&w film.  The Bessa RF has a lever instead of a button to release the shutter, and I did have trouble keeping it steady hand held.  I think next time I'll bring my Baby Rolleiflex, a 1931 miniature camera that shoots 4x4 images on 127 film.  It should be perfect!

Kent in SD

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 10:01:04 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Ivophoto

Re: Four From Seattle
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 04:12:23 pm »

I like the cat shot! Kind of an alienated atmosphere

Two23

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 04:56:26 pm »

I like the cat shot! Kind of an alienated atmosphere

Part of her routine appeared to be not to speak, but I think she might have been purring when I dropped a couple of bucks into her violin case. ;D

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 08:34:08 pm »

Candid photos of people in public places? Check! So I'll give you my own non-proselytizing stamp of approval.  ;)

That Heliar is a lovely lens. My dad's photojournalist friend Ben used a Voigt RF camera with one, possibly the same model.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up