Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod Carbon Metal Wood  (Read 1592 times)

spassig

Tripod Carbon Metal Wood
« on: August 24, 2018, 12:19:34 pm »

Hello

Yesterday I received my new PhaseOne System. :)
I the past I use Hasselblad 503 CW and 503 CX with Gitzo metal tripod.
(I sell the Hasselblad System) :'(
I use Sony A7II with Gitzo Carbon.
Have someone a reference or experience for PO-System?
I shoot mostly landscape.
Metal, Carbon, Wood?
Metal I donˋt buy a new tripod, only a new ArcaSwiss mounting system.
Carbon I should buy a new tripod, the existing is too lightly I think.
Wood I must buy a new tripod.
What is your suggestions?

Jochen

Rob C

Re: Tripod Carbon Metal Wood
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 04:58:32 pm »

Wood was reputed to have better vibration suppression because being non-metal, it doesn't have the built-in, high tensile nervous tensions of the others.

But then, I never owned one made of wood. I find that even my very overweight Gitzo seems to have a nervous twitch now and then. I have never found a tripod that works well on top of fitted carpets.

Surprisingly, most seem to work well on sand, as on beach, though I would draw the line at pouring sand on the carpet. I think it has something to do with the way it, sand, deadens the opportunity for internal resonances. Muffler effect.

Rob

Two23

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 06:57:48 pm »

I have owned all three.  Some thoughts:

1. Metal:  more problems with vibrations, but they are cheaper.
2. Carbon fiber:  low problem with vibration, highest cost, light weight
3. Wood:  lowest problem with vibration, medium cost, heavy

I don't own any metal tripods any more.  I mostly use either Gitzo 1325 or Feisol 3441T--both carbon fiber.  They are the best all around performers.  The 3441T is my travel and alpine hiking tripod.  Not as solid as the 1325 but it works.  I also have a heavy Berlebach wooden tripod.  It's like mounting the camera to a concrete block!  I use it in high wind, mostly.  Also use it with my heavy 5x7 field camera as it easily supports it and being wooden looks nicely vintage with wooden cameras.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 07:29:29 pm »

Carbon all the way for years.

I have standardized on RRS and have had great results with the new TVC-24 MK2 with my H6D-100c.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-24-Mk2-TFC-24-Mk2-Tripods

A bit pricey, but as far as I know this is the best tripod money can buy for out of the studio applications.

In the studio I use their TVC-43 which is built like a tank, but very heavy.

Cheers,
Bernard

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 09:07:44 pm »

No question that carbon fiber beats out aluminum for vibration damping. I have seen it, my CF tripods are way better in windy conditions than my first (well built) tripod, a large aluminum Manfrotto tripod (055 series). Wood. Well, there's a reason why today's surveyors use wooden tripods - these are heavy, weather resistant (treated wood), damp vibrations very well - perfect for obtaining precision readings. Some commercial film makers using massively heavy camera rigs, and some large format / ULF (> 8" x 10") photographers use wood tripods, and gosh are they pretty (See Ries brand tripods made in USA, Berlebach made either in Germany or Switzerland, I forget which). But, I like to hike, and I weigh 50 kg (110 lb), so I am going to prefer lighter tripods for field work.

I use Feisol carbon fiber large (CT3472) and medium (CT3442) systematic-style (no center column) tripods. The large one is needed for longer (and heavier) telephoto lenses on lens feet (mostly the 400 mm birding lens and the 180mm f/2.8 macro lens, the medium one is used for landscape, macro up to 125mm f/2.5 lightweight lens, general use (fine for 70-200 f/4). I have been happy with them. There may be better CF tripods out there but these cost twice as much as the Feisol, and my results are fine with the Taiwanese Feisol tripods. Good tripod use practices are at least as important as the difference between mid-level and top-level tripods.  I don't skimp on tripod heads or quality L brackets / lens feet. Arca-Swiss p0 and Z1 ball heads, Custom Brackets half-gimbal (fits onto ball head flipped 90 degrees, using ball head base pan for pan and gimbal for tilt), and sturdy but not very refined Manfrotto 410 geared head with Arca-style clamp replacing manufacturer's QR system.

Can you tell? I am a tripoholic.

photodan19

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 12:20:42 am »

If you don't shoot a lot in windy conditions then the RRS 24L or 34L (or equivalent Gitzo or ProMediaGear) would be my recommendations. 

However, for breezy conditions I have found that 24L and the 34L do vibrate a noticeable amount (I can see this in magnified view on my Sony a7R3, even with a moderate wide angle lens) and the sharpness of images can be affected. Going to a RRS 43 or 44 offers a noticeable improvement, as does going to a 4 or 5 series Gitzo, or the largest ProMedia Gear. However they are not only heavier than the others mentioned, but much bulkier as well.

For the ultimate in stability you could get a J or A series Ries wood tripod (or equivalent Berlebach). They will provide a good improvement over even the heaviest carbon fiber tripods.  However these wood tripos are almost twice the weight of the biggest carbon fiber ones, and very bulky, and not as versatile in usage.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 12:49:40 am »

Per my tests “suspending” my pack on the hook below the RRS 2 series helps a lot for windy conditions.

Cheers,
Bernard

spassig

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 05:06:29 am »

@all
Thank you.
I will read the notes and recommendations.

Jochen

Shiftworker

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 02:19:13 am »

Hello

Yesterday I received my new PhaseOne System. :)
I the past I use Hasselblad 503 CW and 503 CX with Gitzo metal tripod.
(I sell the Hasselblad System) :'(
I use Sony A7II with Gitzo Carbon.
Have someone a reference or experience for PO-System?
I shoot mostly landscape.
Metal, Carbon, Wood?
Metal I donˋt buy a new tripod, only a new ArcaSwiss mounting system.
Carbon I should buy a new tripod, the existing is too lightly I think.
Wood I must buy a new tripod.
What is your suggestions?

Jochen
If you want the best stability and lack of vibration in windy conditions then get a twin tube video tripod - wood, metal or CF. It's the single tube that's the primary problem in wind and not the material.

spassig

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 02:30:08 am »

... a twin tube video tripod - wood, metal or CF ...

Thanks.
Which brand do you recommend?

Jochen

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 04:10:33 pm »

Re: weights.
You may already be carrying this weight  - water bottles! If you don't use the refillable  Camelbak style bottles, which come with their own loops for attachment to belt (etc) via carabiner, just save the next plastic mesh potato / orange bag you generate, to use as a holder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up