Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 7.5  (Read 5175 times)

ButchM

Re: Lightroom 7.5
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 03:57:03 pm »

Actually the article I saw at the time Tieskoetter stated:

"Yes! All of the templates we ship with Lightroom are made using Illustrator, and I'll be documenting the process for creating those. We've also successfully made templates using InDesign and the freeware tool called Scribus, so if you need templates in different sizes, you'll have a range of options."

Unfortunately, that documentation was never shared with end users and Julie Kmoch later offered:

"Sorry, but we've decided that the approach we were originally pursuing to create custom page layouts was not something we were comfortable releasing to the public. The scripts we've built have worked well enough for our internal use but needed a lot of work before they were usable without a lot of guidance. We think it's more prudent for us to focus on enhancing the book module itself."

In other words they changed their mind so they could focus on making the Book module better for Blurb ... and it only took another 6 years to be at a point where Adobe can now boast about "greater flexibility to move and resize photos around a page"

Job well done!

adias

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 06:57:59 pm »

Another LuLa passive-aggressive nonsensical thread. It's harder and harder to find useful info.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 06:59:36 pm »

Another LuLa passive-aggressive nonsensical thread.
Maybe you should spend some time in the DPR forums.  :D
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

stingray

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 06:42:50 am »

I have been a serious critic of the Book module since its inception. The two main issues were the chain link to Blurb and (unbelievably)   the inability to place an image or text where I liked on the page (combined with a crippled template system). I stopped using the module completely.

I specifically remember the broken  promises made regarding improving template features.  I use InDesign when I need to create books, but Indesign complicates the workflow, requiring intermediate files, which creates a mess if I want to later adjust the size of the images on the page. For quick pdfs I have created scripts to create documents within InDesign and/or  Mailmerge using Microsoft Word... but all are a lot of hassle to operate and maintain.

I am really surprised and pleased to see this sudden re-awaking of subtle but important usability improvements in the last 2 Lr releases. 

Hopefully it is a sign of more attention to the long list of user requests and a focus on real world usability.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 08:47:02 am »

I use InDesign when I need to create books, but Indesign complicates the workflow, requiring intermediate files, which creates a mess if I want to later adjust the size of the images on the page.
The script at https://dlapaev.wixsite.com/home/resampleprojectimagesen makes life simpler and allows you to optimally sharpen all the final sized images for print using a PS action in the Image processor script in PS.

It will be interesting to see how Affinity Publisher develops. Right now in beta it's looking pretty strong, but a few voices asking for specific features to work with images could influence it into becoming a very useful tool for photo book production.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 09:24:39 pm »

Who does the better table top books?  And why?

rdonson

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2018, 04:58:54 pm »

... and compare pricing.....
Regards,
Ron

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 05:22:44 pm »

Simple. I have produced a number of books, with color reference images of my own, Bill Atkinson, all the Roman16's (have you?) with Blurb and Apple (Aperture) to name two. Blurb's don't compare. Print the same image on the cover and inside the book; two different press technologies used. They should match closely and they are way off (I can if you insist provide deltaE values) for Blurb, much, much closer for Apple. Blurb's print process isn't as consistent over time. I've printed and measured the same book printed months apart. I have the same trending data from Apple's sources and in fact, plants all over the world.
Have you?
Best: consistent color without color shifting and good gray balance, blues that don't shift magenta, better tonal range. Blurb ain't it man. But for those of us who have printed and measured the differences can state colorimetrically. That's part of our day job.  ;)

How recently have you used Blurb? In the past, I have experienced the discrepancy between cover and interior that you mention. However, about 6 months ago I had several copies of a book done by Blurb and the look of the same photos on the cover and inside were very close. This is for the image wrap cover, and it seems that Blurb has change the cover finish for this to matte. I know this is only a small sample, but it still indicates the possibility of more consistency.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 12:35:44 pm »

How recently have you used Blurb? In the past, I have experienced the discrepancy between cover and interior that you mention.
About a year.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up