Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repairing an Isis  (Read 1107 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Repairing an Isis
« on: August 21, 2018, 03:46:10 pm »

My Isis has just stopped powering up.
I've checked mains and the PSU and it seems to be delivering the required volts. At a guess I'd say the socket in the back may be faulty.

Anyone ever taken one apart or know if a repair manual is available ? It doesn't look to be the most intuitive bit of kit to disassemble. Any hints very gratefully received.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Repairing an Isis
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 04:53:44 pm »

Stupid question, sorry, but you have it hooked up to some USB device? Odd is it seems, it will not power up if unhooked from USB.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rhossydd

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 05:07:07 pm »

Stupid question, sorry, but you have it hooked up to some USB device? Odd is it seems, it will not power up if unhooked from USB.
Not stupid at all. You're dead right.
WTF is that all about ? The first time I've ever come across a "feature" like that before.

Thank you SO much for a very fast, accurate and helpful answer.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:10:17 pm »

Not stupid at all. You're dead right.
WTF is that all about ? The first time I've ever come across a "feature" like that before.

Thank you SO much for a very fast, accurate and helpful answer.
1. It’s goofy behavior.
2. Glad to hear it’s working.
3. Send checks or money order to.... just kidding.  :D
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

narikin

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 11:34:00 am »

Hah!  Had the *exact* same issue myself a year ago. Isis XL.
Ended up taking it to a local repair shop who opened it up and told me they could find nothing wrong (and that'll be $80, please)

And it too worked when I USB plugged it in when I got it back, as "one last try" before sending it to x-rite for a $750 quoted repair.

It's very odd that it needs to be USB connected *and* power lead, to get the green power light. Nothing else I have behaves this way, but...  it is X-Rite we're talking about here!

ps: Mine was making clunky stepping noises as it read the patches, while still under warranty, so I got a free service-fix out of x-rite, at least.

Rhossydd

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 12:36:22 pm »

I'd guess we're not the only ones who've suffered this too, so why isn't it in an FAQ on the X-Rite site ?

Yes, I know, X-Rite are a hopeless shower.

rasworth

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 12:49:02 pm »

Completely off topic - "hopeless shower"?  I googled the phrase, found several usages, but never a definition/derivation.  Can somebody please educate me on its origin?

Richard Southworth

TonyW

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 01:03:12 pm »

Completely off topic - "hopeless shower"?  I googled the phrase, found several usages, but never a definition/derivation.  Can somebody please educate me on its origin?

Richard Southworth
:D
I think the term came from the British use of "Shower" meaning a group of people perceived as incompetent or worthless and is a shortened version referring to a group of people as a 'Shower of Sh1t'.  Which probably should not be used in polite company (assuming any exist in this day and age).  Adding hopeless I think serves to emphasise the authors more radical view without upsetting the more genteel audience   ;)

narikin

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 01:09:31 pm »

:D
I think the term came from the British use of "Shower" meaning a group of people perceived as incompetent or worthless and is a shortened version referring to a group of people as a 'Shower of Sh1t'.  Which probably should not be used in polite company (assuming any exist in this day and age).  Adding hopeless I think serves to emphasise the authors more radical view without upsetting the more genteel audience   ;)

Yes, that's my understanding, though I'd add it could be used affectionately, as you approach a group of friends, for example.  It doesn't have to be completely negative.

It implies they're an incompetent rabble - but it's not really that strong an insult, as things go.

rasworth

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 01:12:59 pm »

Great explanations, thanks.

Richard Southworth

TonyW

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 01:15:05 pm »

Yes, that's my understanding, though I'd add it could be used affectionately, as you approach a group of friends, for example.  It doesn't have to be completely negative.

It implies they're an incompetent rabble - but it's not really that strong an insult, as things go.
Yes, I agree it can be used as "friendly banter" as well as condemnation, and I am sure there are worse things to be called  ;).  Not sure of the origins but one suggestion is it came from the Navy where it may have been possible to get a literal shower either on deck or in the heads if things went 'pear shaped'

rasworth

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 01:21:27 pm »

Hooked me again, but at least I was able to come up with:

pear shaped:

A British expression used to indicate that something has gone horribly wrong with a person's plans, most commonly in the phrase "It's all gone pear shaped." The origin is unclear, but one theory says that it is RAF slang relating to the difficulty of performing aerobatic loops, which were described as "pear shaped" if executed imperfectly.

Richard Southworth

TonyW

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 02:15:27 pm »

OK (last ones from me), then we have (and probably hundreds more) some military terms:
FUBAR
FUBU
SNAFU
An Imperial FU
SUSFU
TARFU

narikin

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 09:01:53 am »

Then there's ISIS itself, isn't that for an acronym for something?!

Always feel that the NSA flags this forum whenever we write about that piece of kit. Good chance there'll be a security analyst skimming this (hi!  :D)

Couldn't x-rite have called it something else?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up