Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed for puzzling clog behavior on Epson 7900  (Read 2866 times)

MariC

Advice needed for puzzling clog behavior on Epson 7900
« on: August 21, 2018, 11:16:33 am »

For over a week now, I have been fighting a stubborn clog in the magenta channel of my Epson 7900, with no success. Over the years, each time I had some clogs, no matter whether they were stubborn or not, with each cleaning things would slightly and progressively improve till all was back to normal. This time, cleaning often makes things worse, in the sense that when I think I have gained back almost all nozzles a further cleaning makes me loose rather than gain nozzles... Here is some background info, hoping some of you might have experienced (and solved) something similar.

It all started with one quarter of the magenta nozzles not firing. Till now I have run several runs (over the course of several days and each interspersed with a couple of nozzle checks and sometimes a print) of CL1 and CL2 cleanings, and one run of CL3. Every time I waited 12 hours to confirm the results as it seemed to help (cleared nozzles would always be more after rest). 

CL1 seemed not to help, CL2 made the situation better but each time I performed a CL1 after a CL2 things would be worse rather than better?! At one point yesterday after waiting for 12 hours after a CL2, all nozzles got back up but one! I was ecstatic! I "stupidly" performed a CL1 to get rid of that last nozzle (as I would usually do) and I lost "all" nozzles. Then I  performed another CL2 and my first CL3 and have gotten back to having 1/4 nozzles missing. The fact that all nozzles (but one) came back momentarily might mean that the head is not fried (I hope). Interestingly, the nozzle pattern that I get after a cleaning procedure stays consistent after rest or printing (next day would look the same if no cleaning were performed, and the same would happen after a couple of 8x10 pages of magenta). Any thought?

By the way, is there any correlation between Epson "Power Clean" and CL3/CL4 in service mode?

I wanted to do a power cleaning as I have read that It might help in case of air bubbles (in case that's the problem), but can only see the option in the standard menu, which I don't usually use. I think that it's strange that the service mode would not have the "power clean" option so perhaps Cl3 or CL4 are the code names for Power clean? Scouring the web I found a reference to CL4 may be being like a "pair init-fill", but it wasn't conclusive so I'm not sure.

Garnick

Re: Advice needed for puzzling clog behavior on Epson 7900
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:53:15 am »

In my opinion the possibility of a head issue sits high on the list at this point.  However, considering all of the cleaning cycles you have run without success, there might be one simple procedure you should try.  This was not mentioned in your post, so here it is.  Remove the cart in question and then reinstall it.  This can sometimes be the centre point of a clogged nozzle issue and this procedure initiates certain activities that can almost immediately bring back a full channel.  No guarantee, and you might still have to run a couple of cleaning cycles, but what do you have to lose at this point? 

Give it a try, it just might work   :)

Gary   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 11:54:33 am »

You can run a SSLC from service mode or SS Cleaning in maintenance mode.

I believe both are the same thing just different names.

If you have ability to get to CL1 type cleans you are in service mode. Just move down the menu where the CL cleanings are listed till you see SSCL.

If this does not fix it, odds are it’s time for a new head.

Just went through this exact same thing with my 9900 same color same type clog.

Mine was not clear able.

Hope things work out better on your printer.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

MariC

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 12:42:27 pm »

Remove the cart in question and then reinstall it.

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I have already tried that.

You can run a SSLC from service mode or SS Cleaning in maintenance mode.

Thanks. I'm saving that as my last test, as I have read that it can be dangerous for the head (in case it's not already fried).

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 12:55:03 pm »

If you feel comfortable with a little disassembly (warning! warning! you are on your own now!), if you can get a little spit onto the head that may help clean the clog.

A few years ago, I had my 9900 serviced and had a similar issue afterwards. More nozzles clogged than when I started. For several years, one Magenta nozzle was the culprit and all the others were fine. No difference in printing before or after the clog. Anyway, I figured there was nothing to loose after trying different cleanings over a day. So I took apart my 9900 to get to the head, used spit and put it back together. Fixed the problem but still had the one magenta nozzle out.

A year or two later, the nozzles all now work, including the one that hadn't for years.

If it's the head that's go to be replaced since it ain't working, it may be worth a try to do a spit cleaning, but as I warned at the start, you are on your own!

Hope you had get it fixed and back to printing!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

MariC

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 04:21:21 pm »

If you feel comfortable with a little disassembly (warning! warning! you are on your own now!), if you can get a little spit onto the head that may help clean the clog.

Well, that's quite creative. I don't think I would be able to mount the head back though. Thanks for the input though.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 05:04:33 pm »

If you have not already found this site, take an hour and read through it.

https://myx900.com/wiper-blade-replacement/

What is damaging, is multiple SSCL or SS cleanings.  If you don't clear it or move it with 1 SSCL, I don't think you will move it. 

There is a ton of stuff written on the clogging issues on the 9900 and attempts to clear, soak, etc. and none of them seem to work. 

I have heard that a re-charging of the ink sometimes will help, but I choose not to go there.  It's a lot of waste if it won't fix it.

Head replacement is very involved, it can be done, but you still need the Epson software to have the 9900 accept the new head and align it. Each head has a code that has to be entered into the software, otherwise you can't get the printer to initialize with new head. If you replace the head, then consider dampers also.

US cost is around $3,200.00 for a head and damper replacement.  Epson now uses Fuji for warranty and non-warranty repair, but you can still ask for Decision One. 

Warranty is 90 days parts labor out of base 1 year or 3 year extended. 

Cost of a 9000 is only around 800.00 more. 

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 05:38:40 pm »

I once had a 7900 that had an unresolvable clog.  Epson said it needed new print heads which would require a visit by a technician and cost about $1800.  I had a great afternoon taking it to the landfill.

I now have an HP Z5200 44" model and it had never clogged. I've been using it over three years now and had to change print heads myself once as it was printing weirdly. Easy do it yourself task the heads; four heads cost about 75 each. 

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 08:37:36 pm »

I had essentially the same history about a year and a half ago with my 7900 and the yellow channel. I performed all the similar remedies you list in addition to chants, burnt offerings, and a Vulcan mind meld.

I now have a Canon Pro-2000 so you know how that all worked out.
Dr D White DDS BSc

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 12:43:18 pm »

I had essentially the same history about a year and a half ago with my 7900 and the yellow channel. I performed all the similar remedies you list in addition to chants, burnt offerings, and a Vulcan mind meld.

I now have a Canon Pro-2000 so you know how that all worked out.

But did you sacrifice a chicken?

jimcamel

• Film from the 70's; digital and computers now.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 05:35:08 pm »

Same story - my 7900's head (apparently) gave out last fall and I spent a lot of time doing all the voodoo on the myx900 site to try and resolve it.  After a new Maint Tank (which I had on the shelf), I chose not to pour any more $ into it.  I've used it for the last year to just print black line drawings - and, tomorrow, Aug 27th I take delivery of a brand new 44" Hp Z9+.  I put the 7900 up on Kijiji for parts or free love last week - 35 views ... no takers.

So I guess you all know how that turned out.

JC. Photography and computers ... how could that not be great ?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 11:37:19 pm »

I am interested in your 7900 ink carts.

jimcamel

• Film from the 70's; digital and computers now.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 09:40:58 pm »

re: ink carts - Dan - they are in Toronto.
JC. Photography and computers ... how could that not be great ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up