Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Promise Pegasus R6 ?  (Read 1140 times)

dseelig

Promise Pegasus R6 ?
« on: August 19, 2018, 02:31:49 pm »

Promise Pegasus R6 I have one first version has anyone tried putting 10 tb drives in it to do a road Promise only says it will work with 4 tb but they never tested it with anything bigger. If it does format properly will it stay good.

elliot_n

Re: Promise Pegasus R6 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 04:58:43 am »

I also have the original Promise Pegasus R6 (6 x 2TB drives). I bought it when it was launched, and it has given me seven years of flawless service. Like you, I recently looked into upgrading the drives, but I was disappointed to discover that Promise no longer supports these units. It seems that they only support their products for about 3 years after release, and thereafter advise customers to upgrade to their latest offering. I can't afford to do that. Looking at their list of supported drives for the R6 (version 1), the 4TB Seagate BarraCudas are still available on Amazon, so I think I will buy six of them. I would prefer to use higher capacity drives, and I suspect they would work, but I don't feel comfortable with the risk. Six 4TB drives will give me 20TB of fast storage, and this will last me for several years.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:28:51 am »

I too have the Pegasus R6 and it has worked flawlessly for several years. I also have an OWC ThunderBay which is in constant use as the backup for the Pegasus. This drive has also worked flawlessly. When I need to upgrade the amount of available RAID storage, I plan to switch to the ThunderBay units entirely since their rated capacity can now go as high as 48TB. The other very distinct advantage of these units is that you have full control over the RAID with SoftRAID. This gives a little more flexibility when switching out drives than the Promise system which apparentlly becomes unsupported after time if you want to increase capacity.

dseelig

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 02:37:56 pm »

I have grown to dislike OWC as they have not backed up their units very well with me, also I want more hone 4 bays now. I have different size drives in mu first set of drives and a raid to back it up. I then also have a raid the Pegasus backing that up and a set of drives I keep off line I back up periodically. Just wish someone had tested larger drives in the pegasus. If it formatted would it work. I am also going to have  6 tb drives for sale very soon.

dseelig

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 06:13:36 pm »

Well my first version Pegasus R 6 worked fine with 6 10 tb hard drives to make a raid 5

elliot_n

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 06:33:27 pm »

Cool. What drives did you use?

dseelig

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 12:34:14 am »

Seagate Iron Wolf 1o tb drives
Pages: [1]   Go Up