Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Water - Extract, Abstract or Intimate Landscape?  (Read 771 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Moving Water - Extract, Abstract or Intimate Landscape?
« on: August 19, 2018, 06:11:07 am »

I really liked the shapes that the water was making as it flowed over this rock, so instead of going for the usual loooong exposure cotton wool fluffy water shot that we see so often theses days, I decided to use a much faster shutter speed instead and capture the individual lines of flowing water in more detail.

And I think it sort of worked out quite well in the end :)

Dave

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Moving Water - Extract, Abstract or Intimate Landscape?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 07:04:02 am »

Good choice.

Jeremy

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 07:21:06 am »

Good choice.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy and I am so glad you agree, as I think it does us all good to do something a little different from the norm every now and then.

So I suppose you could say that for this image, I was going against the flow..   Oh dear, did I really just say that?   :D

Dave

francois

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 07:47:17 am »

The image is intriguing and I like the juxtaposition of flowing water and rock. Colors contrast is also appealing.
I like it!
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:48:42 am »

The image is intriguing and I like the juxtaposition of flowing water and rock. Colors contrast is also appealing.
I like it!

Thank you Francois  :)

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 09:58:34 am »

Something bothers me, Dave. The water appears too gray and lifeless (color and contrast-wise, not movement-wise).

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 05:18:23 pm »

Something bothers me, Dave. The water appears too gray and lifeless (color and contrast-wise, not movement-wise).

Yes I know what you mean Slobodan, I have already lightened it once against the background and took it up to 242 (out of 256) in the specular areas, but yes I agree it is flat, but I did sort of shoot it that way, but hey that doesn't mean I made the correct choice in this case does it?

I took the shot underexposed to shorten the exposure as much as I could in bright daylight and had also waited for a cloud to move across the sun to dim down the highlights, so this image actually started out quite dark. But I have also learnt that with the rubber-bandiness (inventing a new word alert) of the Sony pixels, you can drag them up into the daylight kicking and screaming like never before - but that doesn't mean it is a good thing to do this type of invasive surgery parts of an image, just because you can.

I have other files of the scene in various types of light and at various exposures, so I will have another go at it when I next get the opportunity, but as usually these days, I am tied up with other things happening and so as things stand, that will be in about a month before I can next get onto the PC.

Thanks though Slobodan, as it is always good to get 'good' feedback, as it often confirms what you already knew deep down about an image, but were trying to pretend to yourself that you didn't  :D

Dave
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:22:31 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

John R

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 10:24:54 pm »

It's a great abstract. One has to see it as water to be bothered by the colours and/or light levels. Or am I seeing a newer version? Because the whites look bright enough to me.

JR

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 05:27:08 am »

It's a great abstract. One has to see it as water to be bothered by the colours and/or light levels. Or am I seeing a newer version? Because the whites look bright enough to me.

JR

Thank you John for your positive comments and yes it's the same version, as I haven't had chance to touch it yet, or have another go at it etc. So I was just agreeing with Slobodan's comments above, because I believe that he has such a good eye when it comes to critiquing an image, that to ignore his advice, is to ignore something worth taking note of.

But as your comment above proves, different people see different things in different ways and so what is satisfactory to one person is not so satisfactory for another, but hey, isn't that what makes the world go round?

Dave
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:31:18 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Pages: [1]   Go Up