Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working in Sessions  (Read 1759 times)

charles.woodrich

Working in Sessions
« on: August 18, 2018, 09:41:55 pm »

I know this has been asked and answered before but I'm not finding the thread.  The initial part of my workflow is to copy the images from my card to a specific folder on my HD. In LR this was no problem.  But in C1P when I set a new session it duplicates the files in a new folder.  However if I set up a new catalog the duplication doesn't occur but it doesn't automatically create trash, selects, and output folders.  How do I create a new session without duplicating the files?

myotis

Re: Working in Sessions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 04:39:12 am »

How do I create a new session without duplicating the files?

I don't think you can. Unless you import the originals directly into the session. Unless I'm missing something about how sessions  work, and I note you say that how this can be done has already been answered, so maybe I am wrong.

When you set up a new catalogue, the catalogue only references the files in their original location, but for a session, the files need to be moved into the session folder hierarchy, that is the key difference between catalogues and sessions.

A session is meant to be a self contained set of folders that contain all the files associated with a project, which can be moved or archived etc and still keep every file associated with a specific project in one place.

You may want to set up project based folders within a catalogue, rather than create sessions if you don't want to duplicate raw files.  Or delete the files from the original location after you have them in a session folder.

I actually take advantage of this duplication, as I have a master catalogue of all raw files and then duplicate selected files into project based short or long term sessions. Once I'm finished with a project, the entire session (including the raw files used the session) is archived, but the original raws can still be found in my catalogue should I want to use them in a different project/session.

Cheers,

Graham

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 05:12:07 am »

One way to avoid the duplication of images in session mode: Instead of importing the images, navigate to the system folder where you have your images from within the C1 library and add the folder to favorites.

Just remember that in this case the original images will not reside inside the session tree, so if you move the whole session to another computer, it will not contain them.

myotis

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 05:40:10 am »

One way to avoid the duplication of images in session mode: Instead of importing the images, navigate to the system folder where you have your images from within the C1 library and add the folder to favorites.

I forgot about that.  I tend not to think of this as a "proper" session  but more of a "dummy" session to trick C1 into working iike a browser. For as you say archiving such a session would not include the raw files.

Cheers,
Graham

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 05:30:25 pm »

I might be old fashioned, but I use Bridge to organize my images.  Create folders A, B, C, and so on. Then IN C1 I set the Capture folder and the Output folder to which one of these folders I am working in.  That's a session

IanSeward

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 05:19:37 am »

I know this has been asked and answered before but I'm not finding the thread.  The initial part of my workflow is to copy the images from my card to a specific folder on my HD. In LR this was no problem.  But in C1P when I set a new session it duplicates the files in a new folder.  However if I set up a new catalog the duplication doesn't occur but it doesn't automatically create trash, selects, and output folders.  How do I create a new session without duplicating the files?

I transfer my files from the SD card to a year/shoot folder on my HD, e.g. 2018/Hong Kong-July2018.  I like to have a basic organisational system that is independent of any software solution. 

I then create a new session in C1 and set the location to be the folder I want to work on e.g.2018/Hong Kong-July2018.  I then find this folder in the C1 folder browser, right click on it and set this folder to be the capture folder.  All images appear in C1 and no duplicates are made.  This also has the advantage that whether you use "Edit with" or "Open with" the processed files automatically appear in C1.

As I am backing up my photos anyway the session is also backed up automatically.  After around 1 year I will import my session into an archive catalogue (which keeps all key words/ edits) which contains 3-5 years of photos and delete the session files that are in the 2018/Hong Kong-July2018 folder.

The advantage of sessions is that I can move the folder around and keep everything together e.g. If I visit a place several times in one year I will initially have a folder as described but if I visit again I will create a sub folder e.g. 2018/Hong Kong/Hong Kong-July2018 & Hong Kong-August2018.  Once you import to a catalogue all such folder moves must be done within the C1 catalogue or the file reference is broken, as with LR.

Ian

Chubs

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 10:25:21 pm »

I create the session first and then copy the images off the card to my capture folder.

JaapD

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 01:13:56 am »

I create the session first.  Then through ‘import images’ the images are copied by C1 to my capture folder. Check with IMPORT TO if the destination is "Capture Folder". Everything is under one folder tree and can be moved around to whatever drive you prefer.

Reading through the post "Relative and Absolute folder path" might be of interest to you as well.

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:18:35 am by JaapD »
Pages: [1]   Go Up