Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: When are we finally going to get real 6x6 (54x54) medium format?  (Read 4144 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

Isn't it time we got the real MF "look" back?
Isn't it time we finally got what it says on the box?
Isn't it time we could make those old lenses useful again in spite of their low lpi resolution?

Sensor prices have gone down, and I would expect the cost of a 54x54 sensor to be the same as a 48x36 a few years ago.

Hassy's superb X1D can take the old V lenses. Maybe they could now finally make a V1D with a film-frame sized square sensor?
The Hasselblad VD name may be a non-starter ...

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Re: When are we finally going to get real 6x6 (54x54) medium format?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 11:07:42 am »

August 23:) ???

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 12:05:31 pm »

We're not.

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 01:56:27 pm »

While I don't doubt Sony could make a 54x54, the questions are why, for who and at what cost?  For the V series Hasselblads? CFV-50c has been discontinued for a while.  What other existing system would be able to take advantage of the larger sensor?  The last V mount lens was made when?  I love the idea of the V1D, but if they can't use the existing sensors, the custom chip has to be supported by one camera.  Plus you'd have to convince Ziess to get back in to making the larger lenses.  That's a whole lot of money for how big of a market?

Hass & Phase would both have to do a new body and lenses when both would be better served focusing on 33x44 stuff.  Fuji and Pentax don't have anything using the existing 54x40.  The new Sony MF chips should satisfy anyone looking at 35mm stuff wondering about the MP advantages.  The V1D would get lots of love, but it would have to compete with the X1D on price.
t: @PNWMF

pschefz

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 03:31:52 pm »

pretty much all existing MF lenses covering a sensor that size would be useless, they just aren't good enough for digital capture...
so someone would have to not only make a new body, which would have to be mirrorless btw but a completely new lens line...
hasselblad and fuji just now made a statement with new lens lines that 33x44 is good and big enough....
is anyone else still even making lenses?
phase is hanging on and unless they can come out with a mirrorless soon, they might as well concentrate on niche products for science and make the drone stuff (although i am sure DJI will say something about that...) and C1 of course....
nikon is rumored to release the Z mount which is bigger and might be big enough for 33x44...
so i honestly feel we are further away then ever....from 54x54...
i do think that there might be hope now to finally abandon the idiotic 24x36 film constraints which make zero sense now....
but again: sony is now a leader, they finally have a really solid lens line up.....for FF....
no matter what nikon or canon will come out with, it will take years to really take on and to have full lens line ups....
i really do like the 33x44 sensor size...big enough, nice format, plenty of space for big pixels AND high resolution.....and probably still easy and cheap enough to make for higher end systems....and all tech advancements that mirrorless brings....yes, the lenses need to be bigger, but not too big to handle serious AF performance.....
schefz.com
artloch.com

eronald

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 06:02:17 pm »

ok maybe we need 48x72.
a nice modern-day SuperIkonta or Plaubel Makina,
2x pixels in every dimension
A considerable improvement in DR.

What I'm trying to say is that the Hassy isn't really worth designing a whole camera and lenses for at 33x44, the larger sensor is not going to make that much of an improvement over a stabilised 35mm camera that can do handheld superresolution like the Sony A7R3. And the look of an expensive F2.8 lens on 33x44 isn't really going to improve over a cheaper F1.4 on 35mm. But if the sensor were upscaled a bit the intrinsic advantages of MF would come back into play.

Edmund

pretty much all existing MF lenses covering a sensor that size would be useless, they just aren't good enough for digital capture...
so someone would have to not only make a new body, which would have to be mirrorless btw but a completely new lens line...
hasselblad and fuji just now made a statement with new lens lines that 33x44 is good and big enough....
is anyone else still even making lenses?
phase is hanging on and unless they can come out with a mirrorless soon, they might as well concentrate on niche products for science and make the drone stuff (although i am sure DJI will say something about that...) and C1 of course....
nikon is rumored to release the Z mount which is bigger and might be big enough for 33x44...
so i honestly feel we are further away then ever....from 54x54...
i do think that there might be hope now to finally abandon the idiotic 24x36 film constraints which make zero sense now....
but again: sony is now a leader, they finally have a really solid lens line up.....for FF....
no matter what nikon or canon will come out with, it will take years to really take on and to have full lens line ups....
i really do like the 33x44 sensor size...big enough, nice format, plenty of space for big pixels AND high resolution.....and probably still easy and cheap enough to make for higher end systems....and all tech advancements that mirrorless brings....yes, the lenses need to be bigger, but not too big to handle serious AF performance.....
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BJL

When are we finally going to get "real" 54x54mm medium format? Never.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 06:53:05 pm »

Never. And I suspect that you know that, and just want to revive this perennial debate; maybe as a distraction from the recent flood of 36x24mm mirrorless system speculation and debates. The "larger than 36x24mm by enough to be significant" format that you wish for is "645" (54x42mm or thereabouts), as all successful/surviving medium format makers settled on by the end of the film era, and which is the upper limit for support by any current lens system.

Also, isn't it time to acknowledge that square is dead, as again all successful/surviving MF systems worked out decades ago? That doom started with the ability to rotate for verticals.

"Technically possible" can be very different than "commercially viable".

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 07:54:11 pm »

They say never say never, but I suspect never.
There are so many people that think we don't need more than 36 x 24 and so we are probably lucky they make 33 x 44.
If I want square I just crop.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

eronald

Re: When are we finally going to get "real" 54x54mm medium format? Never.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 08:17:23 pm »

Never. And I suspect that you know that, and just want to revive this perennial debate; maybe as a distraction from the recent flood of 36x24mm mirrorless system speculation and debates. The "larger than 36x24mm by enough to be significant" format that you wish for is "645" (54x42mm or thereabouts), as all successful/surviving medium format makers settled on by the end of the film era, and which is the upper limit for support by any current lens system.

Also, isn't it time to acknowledge that square is dead, as again all successful/surviving MF systems worked out decades ago? That doom started with the ability to rotate for verticals.

"Technically possible" can be very different than "commercially viable".

Rumors of the death of the square have been greatly exaggerated since the vast majority of the world's published pictures are now square -INSTAGRAM.
But if you insist, I'lll raise you (see above) to 48x72.
33x44 is just a marketing trick to allow some companies to sell 35mm lenses at a 3x markup and a 6x profit :)

Edmund

BJL

When are we finally going to get "real" medium format? Never.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 08:42:19 pm »

Rumors of the death of the square have been greatly exaggerated since the vast majority of the world's published pictures are now square -INSTAGRAM.
Apart from the disconnect between "camera use too make photos fro Instagram posts" and "super-size MF sensors", I will note that:
- Instagram dropped its square-only conceit three years ago
- Most photos in my Instagram feed are oblongs like 4:3, not square.
- The cameras used to make Instagram posts do not have square sensors, probably because even for those who make some square photos (a confession: I take some food photos, and use square for some of those) square sensors are not the ideal choice, since the same camera is more often used for 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 etc.

33x44 is just a marketing trick to allow some companies to sell 35mm lenses at a 3x markup and a 6x profit :)
Conceding for the sake of argument your disparagement of 44x33mm, I will repeat that the solution is "645", not your imagined "quad full frame".

eronald

Re: When are we finally going to get "real" medium format? Never.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 10:03:21 pm »

Apart from the disconnect between "camera use too make photos fro Instagram posts" and "super-size MF sensors", I will note that:
- Instagram dropped its square-only conceit three years ago
- Most photos in my Instagram feed are oblongs like 4:3, not square.
- The cameras used to make Instagram posts do not have square sensors, probably because even for those who make some square photos (a confession: I take some food photos, and use square for some of those) square sensors are not the ideal choice, since the same camera is more often used for 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 etc.
Conceding for the sake of argument your disparagement of 44x33mm, I will repeat that the solution is "645", not your imagined "quad full frame".

Conceding, for the sake of progress of this dialog, that 645 is a "solution", when are we finally going to get that instead of this 44x33 joke labelled as "medium format? At least with 2x pixels there would be 4 camera years between a simultaneously released 35mm and 645.

I think 44x33 is now mostly a marketing trick allowing companies to sell decent camera gear at a huge markup.

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:21:23 pm by eronald »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 11:45:21 pm »

I have no reason to expect P1, Hassy, Pentax, Fuji, Nikon, Canon, Leica or Sony to produce anything larger than full-frame 645 in the foreseeable future.

In fact, I'd argue that only Phase One is strongly focused on full-frame 645. The IQ3 100mp Trichromatic and IQ3 100mp have been our largest sellers since the IQ3 100mp launched.

Everyone else seems to have the majority of their focus on 44x33 or smaller.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 12:17:46 am »

If you can ask for 6x6, why not ask for 4x5?   I doubt very much existing players like HB or TPO will make anything but for the platforms they developed so if it were to happen it would likely be someone new.

Rolleiflex USA

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: When are we finally going to get "real" 54x54mm medium format? Never.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 05:52:14 am »

Edmund

Insta has supported formats other than square for some time. The thumbnails are all square but lesss than half the uploaded images I look at are square.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 07:06:22 am »

I have no reason to expect P1, Hassy, Pentax, Fuji, Nikon, Canon, Leica or Sony to produce anything larger than full-frame 645 in the foreseeable future.

In fact, I'd argue that only Phase One is strongly focused on full-frame 645. The IQ3 100mp Trichromatic and IQ3 100mp have been our largest sellers since the IQ3 100mp launched.

Everyone else seems to have the majority of their focus on 44x33 or smaller.

It would be interesting though to compare the absolute numbers of IQ100 sold vs H6D-100c. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

BJL

Conceding, for the sake of progress of this dialog, that 645 is a "solution", when are we finally going to get that instead of this 44x33 joke labelled as "medium format?
That is a more interesting question for me. I presume you mean a mirrorless system using sensors that more or less fill the 54x42mm "645" frame, like the Sony IMX441, a BSI 150MP sensor coming soon; possibly this year: http://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/news/detail/170301.pdf
A wild speculation is that Phase One will go there first, and maybe soon: see Doug's comments about Phase One's focus vs that of Hasselblad etc.

P. S. a better link: https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/application/index.html
Diagonal is 67mm, close enough to the 70mm of "real 645" film format.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:18:22 pm by BJL »

eronald

At the risk of repeating myself, I think 33x44 is just a way of selling 35mm quality at a high markup.

With sensor prices falling it's a certainty that real MF is around the corner, what is less obvious is whether it will be economically viable now, or only when flexible low lpi sensors can allow people to bring back the giant cameras of yesteryear.

Edmund

BJL

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 09:45:37 pm »

Edmund, can you clarify what you mean by that loaded phrasing “real medium format”?

I would think “645 and up” on the basis that medium format film cameras had moved to “645” as the most common flavor, but maybe you have something else in mind.

P. S. What data do you have on trends in costs of sensors larger than 36x24mm?

eronald

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 12:26:39 am »

Edmund, can you clarify what you mean by that loaded phrasing “real medium format”?

I would think “645 and up” on the basis that medium format film cameras had moved to “645” as the most common flavor, but maybe you have something else in mind

P. S. What data do you have on trends in costs of sensors larger than 36x24mm?

Hey, in my book "real MF" is quality that is clearly at least one level above 35mm, to such an extent that the best 35mm lenses and tricks like multiple shifted exposures won't make up the  difference.

I have an old horse race film for you here, (Belmont Stakes 73) and at the end of this race one does know who won, immediately and clearly. Hint: It's not a horse called Sham who can stand in for 35mm in this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:23:17 am by eronald »

pschefz

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 12:26:37 pm »

Hey, in my book "real MF" is quality that is clearly at least one level above 35mm, to such an extent that the best 35mm lenses and tricks like multiple shifted exposures won't make up the  difference.

I have an old horse race film for you here, (Belmont Stakes 73) and at the end of this race one does know who won, immediately and clearly. Hint: It's not a horse called Sham who can stand in for 35mm in this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4

Edmund

i guess it comes down to your definition on true MF because top end available mirrorless and DSLR have replaced true MF in terms of IQ.....top end DMF has replaced 4x5 and 8x10.....
I would love to see a digital 6x9 fuji....but DSLRs and mirrorless have surpassed the 6x9 film version a while ago, and are smaller, faster, AF,.....and a lot cheaper....
i can understand if we would have to move to larger sensors to get better DR....which to a certain point is still true, larger pixels are in general better for color and DR....but tech is advancing so fast, we have 15 stop 40mpix cameras for 3K....the quality is there....lenses are a bigger issue....digital optical correction will be HUGE....
a 6x9 fuji asks so many questions that frankly nobody has the time or money to answer because in general they aren't relevant......
anyone with a ton of money would be able to make a "real" mf sensor....but honestly why stop there?

what specs are you looking for anyway? is size really the only thing you would love to see?
the new sony sensors are pretty much 645 (which was never "real" MF) and in which way are they THAT much better? bigger pixels, better color, better DR....i expect the 33x44 sensor to have pretty much the same IQ.....i am sure there is special sauce on top, everybody will claim that their version is superior and we will discuss......and those files will be better then what is out now in terms of top FF.....but we do know that they have bigger pockets and have to turn things out faster.....and its only just really starting....the nikon Z will probably have the 850 sensor, which is pretty amazing, but it will be tweaked and be even slightly better.....canon needs to come up with something, at least they will try.....and sony is sitting back and waiting for the dust to settle only to drop another bomb in terms of specs and price....because they can.....

i also dont see 33x44 as a stop gap....should be big enough for sensors to find a perfect pixel size/count ratio....we used to say that nobody wants 100mpix....i still agree to a certain point but as long as file size is manageable and storage keeps getting bigger and cheaper and we dont have issues pushing those pixels around (which we dont right now) why not? so 100 mpix, i would like to see 16 stops DR and with that probably comes clean 3200 (although i would prefer clean 1600 and a base of 50), for me that system would still be able to have fast AF as well as a 6fps and a burst of 18......33x44 would make any crop really easy, the file size would allow for not only cropping for size but also for content....camera and lenses would be small and light enough....obvioulsy this would be mirrorless.....and honestly we are pretty close to this now, and in a few years this will be available.....not sure what you cant shoot with that....
schefz.com
artloch.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up