Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Displaytrans printing on Canon printer  (Read 832 times)

jharrisonphoto

Epson Displaytrans printing on Canon printer
« on: August 17, 2018, 01:24:10 am »

I have a roll of Epson Displaytrans backlit transparency Film that I wanted to print on my Canon Ipf8400.  Any suggestions what settings to even start with or profiles to use?   Will that even work?  I assume it can’t be easily profiled. Is there any comparable film that will work profiles on the canon if not?

Any assistance before I Start playing with it is appreciated!

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
Re: Epson Displaytrans printing on Canon printer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 06:14:04 pm »

I used this material on an Epson 7900 I once had, and if I recall it specified the profile for Epson Archival Matte, (Premium Matte or what ever they call it this year). But, It required some where between 1.5x to 2x the printing density due to backlit display, or else it looked severely washed out. I did this simply by duplicating the layer and changing the blend mode to multiply, using transparency adjustment if 2x was too dense; check with a sample output on your backlit source.

I have since disposed of the 7900 and now use a Canon Pro-2000. But have not printed with the display material on it as yet. But, based on my experience, try using the profile for Moab Lasal Matte. I have a strong feeling this will look ok. It is mostly the density you will have to dial in.
Dr D White DDS BSc

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 06:56:48 pm »

Profiles not made for that material and printer? Forget about it. If you must, try Printer Manages Color and hope for the best.
It can be profiled but it's going to be kind of expensive to do. Someone with a very special Spectrophotometer.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:26:57 pm »

You can surely use most Epson aqueous media on a Canon printer.  The manufacturer won't say you can because it's not their product, but it will work.

There should be a "fine art" or "specialty" option (in the settings) for a film on the Canon side.  If that option doesn't work properly, can always to a custom media type (through the Media Confirmation Tool) that is available from Canon at no charge (on their site).  If you already have it installed, just go through the tool process and select the media type that works well with the other options and save for that media.  Aside from the media type, the profile is also helpful and you can get one of those made to match it if needed.  Since the custom profile is separate from the media type (custom if needed), these normally are at a cost.  We have the ability to create a custom profile for a low cost.

IT Supplies

jharrisonphoto

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 05:31:44 pm »

Thanks!  I'll give these things a try and let you know how it goes.

Is there any good comparable material specifically for Canon with profiles?  Using the IPF8400.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up