Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X1D adaptor for V system  (Read 2206 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
X1D adaptor for V system
« on: August 16, 2018, 05:59:59 pm »

Hasselblad has released an adaptor to use V lenses on the X1D
https://store.hasselblad.com/products/xv-lens-adapter/

"The XV Lens Adapter is used to mount a V System Lens onto an X System camera. The XV Lens Adapter widens your X System Lens choices to include C, CB, CF, CFI, CFE, F and FE Lenses and Accessories. The electronic shutter must be used as no lens shutter control is possible."
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:54:52 pm by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

mtakeda

Re: X1D adaptor for V system
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 07:44:27 pm »

It said the electronic shutter will be used with this adaptor. Does it mean no more delay of the shutter activation and tinny sound? This is the reason of hesitation to use this camera. What is the disadvantage of the electronic shutter if any?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:10:39 pm »

On the previous expensive adaptor for V series to H series there was a mechanism to cock the shutter.
I think they have decided with V to X to do away with that and just control the aperture.
So you need the electronic shutter to be the actual shutter.
So the lens shutter is not being used it would appear.
Electronic shutter can not be used with moving objects and you lose the advantage of a leaf lens shutter with high speed flash sync.

mtakeda

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:41:15 pm »

How about the sound and delay of activation?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 06:37:50 am »

I have no experience with a V series so I could not say.
Someone else will chime in.
If there is no cocking of the shutter then that is probably the delay and noise gone.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 10:26:56 am »

From experience of the silver lenses for the 500 Series on film, I wouldn't think they'd work very impressively with digital. They were excellent in their day with film, though.

I think you will probably never find cost-saving short-cuts that deliver the best of what may be possible with contemporary equipment, which kinda defeats the exercise.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 01:07:48 pm »

Plenty of photographers using the V Series CF and later lenses with digital backs successfully on V and H Series bodies. I see no reason they wouldn't also work well on the X1D for static subjects.

jng

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 02:03:43 pm »

Exposures are silent when using the V lenses via the "dumb" adapters.

With the exception of multicoating, the optical formulas for most (but not all) of these lenses are unchanged since the early silver lenses, although there were other updates to the shutter and apetrure controls and the focusing helicoids are smoother in the newer CF/CFi/CFE iterations.

Not all of these lenses were created equal. I routinely use the 100, 120 Makro-Planar and 250 Superachromat (all CF versions) on the X1D and they render beautifully. I suspect my 180 CF and 150 T* C (purchased new over 40 years ago!) would perform similarly. The 40 IF CFE is also stellar but in a quick comparison I found the native XCD 45 to control CA a bit better (as in, undetectable) even with CA corrections turned off in Phocus, something I found to be quite remarkable.

For me, at least, the choice to use these old warhorses is not so much economically driven but more based on gaps in the native lens lineup and the beautiful look that these old lenses give, even on these small pixel sensors. Plus, I already own them so it's satisfying to put them to good use. But where there's coverage in the native XCD lineup, I imagine these will out-perform the older designs in terms of resolution, micro-contrast and CA. As I mentioned above, it's simply remarkable. But whether this gives a more pleasing look is subjective. I must admit that I covet the XCD 90 for portraits, but am enjoying the old Zeiss glass in the meantime.

John

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 08:12:14 am »

I had the 50mm, the 80m and the150mm.

Once, wondering about resolution, I shot the same thing on the 'blad and the Nikon - the 150mm on the 'blade and the 135mm on the Nikon, keeping the area on the 6x6 the same 24mmx36mm as the Nikon. The Nikon was way better.

If the silver 'blad lenses were to be used over the full 120 frame, then it would be a different game.

Rob

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 05:24:01 am »

Hi,

Electronic shutter means:

• No mechanical movement
  • No noise
  • No reason for delay
  • Around 300 ms sweep time

The disadvantage is the long sweep time. Anything that moves will be severely distorted as the top of the image will be exposed 0.3 s before or after the bottom of the image.

It works for things standing still.

A mechanical focal plane shutter has the same issues, but it moves much faster, so the delay between top of frame and bottom of frame is in the range of 3-13 ms.

With light that varies in intensity, like flourescent, there will be banding with an electronic shutter.

Best regards
Erik

It said the electronic shutter will be used with this adaptor. Does it mean no more delay of the shutter activation and tinny sound? This is the reason of hesitation to use this camera. What is the disadvantage of the electronic shutter if any?
Erik Kaffehr

Joe Towner

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 11:57:30 am »

I don't get it, if you have to use the electronic shutter, why doesn't the new V adapter have a tripod mount?
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 11:47:00 pm »

I don't get it, if you have to use the electronic shutter, why doesn't the new V adapter have a tripod mount?
Presumably it would use the same one as the XH adaptor
Pages: [1]   Go Up