Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is a V600 a good enough scanner for old family photos?  (Read 1960 times)

maximilian59

Is a V600 a good enough scanner for old family photos?
« on: August 13, 2018, 05:31:54 pm »

Hello,
after my parents died, I took all the old family photos to me. For most of them there are no negatives left. Some of them are getting bad and start fading. So I am now looking for a good scanner to save the old photos. Maybe I will scan some slides, but only for smaller prints up to a maximum of A4. Standard will be prints 4x6".
After reading specs and tests it came down to the Epson V600 with SilverFast Ai Studio 8.
For profiling there is a target needed. As there are many different ones, which one should I buy? Is this one sufficient or do I need the larger one?
LaserSoft Imaging IT-8 Target 10x15cm Kodak
Is this the right scanner for this task?

Maximilian

degrub

Re: Is a V600 a good enough scanner for old family photos?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:07:25 pm »

Have you scanned before ?

For snapshot prints it usually doesn’t matter which “photo” scanner you pick as prints do not have a lot of dynamic range in them.

Negatives and slides it can matter, so a flatbed scanner with “better” specs can help.

It can be a little easier if you don’t have to worry about scanning colour, particularly faded colour.

You can also use a digital camera if you can get the setup together. There have been several discussions here about doing that as well as an article if i recall correctly. Lighting is the key issue.

Read Mark’s articles on scanning with Silverfast. Unless you plan to mostly use auto settings, it can get involved to learn how to use it well. 

Also, take a look at Ed Hamrick’s Vuescan software. If you already have a flatbed scanner, you may find that it is “good enough” and a trial version is free to use.

You may want to invest more in the scanner than the software, at least at first, but it depends on your needs and how much time you can dedicate to learning and scanning. The manufacturer’s software may be good enough for learning with.

Another option may be a photo club with a scanner to loan.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:29:27 pm »

I haven't used a V600 so I can't say anything first-hand about its performance. That said, much depends on the size and quality of the media you are scanning and what you consider to be "good enough". So it's an impossible question to answer objectively. According to the Scandig review of that scanner (what I consider to be a reliable source of analytically useful information) (https://www.filmscanner.info/en/EpsonPerfectionV600Photo.html), the scanner has an effective optical resolution a bit over 1500 PPi. The media you are scanning probably doesn't have perceptual resolution equivalent to more than 200~300 PPI, so from a resolution perspective, speaking purely in terms of the arithmetic, that scanner will give you more than enough resolution particularly if the dimensions of the scanned images are to be no more than say roughly three times the dimensions of the original media. But that doesn't mean the perceived sharpness will be to your liking. The resolution can be mathematically fine according to the USAF test Patrick used, but the perceived edge sharpness of micro-detail depends on the quality of the scanner's optical system to produce distinct edges, and the extent of magnification. In other words, the USAF test tolerates seeing separable line pairs that, while separated, can still be somewhat fuzzy.

The V800, more expensive, has a better optical system for slide scanning and all round higher usable resolution (around 2300 PPI), which you may not need for much of your work, but could come in handy for some, especially if you intend to do cropping and want to make enlargements considerably bigger than your media. It also has other technical features the V600 lacks - you can compare in the various reviews; for a large task like scanning a family archive productivity features of both the scanner and the software could be important in terms of time saving. If you buy an Epson V800, it comes bundled with SilverFast 8 (SE) which you can upgrade to Ai for a reasonable price. So you should compare the price of the V600 Plus SF8 Ai versus V800 with upgrading from SE to Ai. I'm not saying you need a V800 - the V600 may well suffice for you, but you should consider the option before buying. If you are buying a V600, it would be good to buy it from a source that will let you exchange it within a limited time period in case you aren't satisfied with it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 07:23:40 pm »

For snapshot prints it usually doesn’t matter which “photo” scanner you pick as prints do not have a lot of dynamic range in them.
I agree, certainly for prints, snapshots and lots of them. I have a V750 but for scanning piles of smaller prints, I got an Epson Fast Foto FF-640 and it's incredibly fast, easy to use and ideal for this task. I think it was reviewed here on the site. Epson just came out with a newer model, slightly faster, so you may get a deal on the previous model.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Two23

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 07:32:57 pm »

I got an Epson Fast Foto FF-640 and it's incredibly fast, easy to use and ideal for this task. I think it was reviewed here on the site. Epson just came out with a newer model, slightly faster, so you may get a deal on the previous model.

Buy a used one, scan your stuff, then resell it.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

TonyW

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 04:20:36 am »

Hello,
after my parents died, I took all the old family photos to me. For most of them there are no negatives left. Some of them are getting bad and start fading. So I am now looking for a good scanner to save the old photos. Maybe I will scan some slides, but only for smaller prints up to a maximum of A4. Standard will be prints 4x6".
After reading specs and tests it came down to the Epson V600 with SilverFast Ai Studio 8.
For profiling there is a target needed. As there are many different ones, which one should I buy? Is this one sufficient or do I need the larger one?
LaserSoft Imaging IT-8 Target 10x15cm Kodak
Is this the right scanner for this task?

Maximilian
I would say having owned the earlier v500 that the v600 is well up to the job of scanning family snapshots.  It is arguable that for print media you will get any noticeable improvement in resolution with the more expensive scanners, but they will definitely offer benefits if you have to scan negs or slides.

The v500 and therefore the v600 even with more limited resolution than the 700/800 series can still offer very acceptable results for film stock.

Silverfast is obviously great software and if bundled with the Epson go fir it.  However the Epson scan software that comes with the scanner is more than fit for purpose and I would strongly suggest evaluating that first - it is probably all you need at this time.  Vuescan is another application I can recommend.

You really do not need to profile a scanner (Heresey  ;)?) for the type of work you are doing.  The reason I say this is I believe that for this type of restoration work you are scanning for information not necessarily an exact replica of what may well be a damaged or less than optimal original.  You may find money saved on IT8 targets better spent on a monitor calibration device
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:07:49 am by TonyW »

David Good

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 04:44:54 am »

Tony makes a good point. I have been "restoring" old photos for many years now and currently use the V500, it is sufficient for the job. My preference is for Vuescan but again, the supplied software is just fine.
Dave

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 09:58:07 am »

I have a V600 and its auto color correction works very well with faded slides or prints. I use the Epsonscan software that came with the scanner. 

maximilian59

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 03:37:59 pm »

Thank you, for all your answers.
I will look for a V600 of the shelf. As I life near Munich, I have the possibility to visit the store from film scanner.info alias scandig.de.
It should be possible to make some test scans and get further advice there. Maybe I will compare it with Canon CanoScan 9000F Mark II.
It will be a longer project viewing, sorting, scanning, preparation in Photoshop and printing some of them. So I am in no hurry.
Maximilian
PS
I have a monitor calibration device

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 03:59:57 pm »

Good ideas.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 05:44:00 pm »

I agree, certainly for prints, snapshots and lots of them. I have a V750 but for scanning piles of smaller prints, I got an Epson Fast Foto FF-640 and it's incredibly fast, easy to use and ideal for this task. I think it was reviewed here on the site. Epson just came out with a newer model, slightly faster, so you may get a deal on the previous model.

+1. Best way to scan lots of small prints.  you can scan at 600dpi if you like but I don’t believe prints from the scans are really any better to make the extra time worthwhile.

newer model might not be replacing the 640 but it does look like the 640 is selling for a little less than it used to from some sources.

The new 680 looks a little larger, the feed path and and catch tray are redesigned (from Epson: “SafeTouch Technology offers worry-free scanning for virtually any size, including postcards and Polaroid photos”).  Looks like the top folds down to close it when not in use?  Main feature is probably wireless connectivity - scan straight to cloud so no computer needed?  Includes “improved” software?  From Epson “Second-generation Epson® FastFoto Software makes everything easy, with convenient photo editing and smart file organization tools”.  Not sure what editing and file organization tools they mean, but might be useful.

I’ve got a demo unit coming into my store, will be able to compare them in a few days.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:05:00 pm by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up