Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fever trees  (Read 959 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Fever trees
« on: August 12, 2018, 01:51:48 pm »

Called so as the early European settlers in South Africa contracted malaria whenever they encountered these near the Zululand coastal rivers. Little did they know it was the mosquitoes that did the killing.

The Zulu name translated, which means "shine far/ from afar" is apt, as the trunks glow in the sunlight.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
Re: Fever trees
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:14:18 pm »

Nice picture.
Interesting that these trees are known as fever trees because you catch malaria near them when the more well known (in UK at least) Fever Tree is the one that cures it and, more importantly, is the basis of the Gin and Tonic which I am off to make now.

See https://www.fever-tree.com/latest/feature/a-short-history-of-the-fever-tree for a bit about quinine.

Dave

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:39:59 am »

Interesting indeed Dave.

The South African one - http://pza.sanbi.org/vachellia-xanthophloea

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:23:06 am »

Interesting indeed Dave.

The South African one - http://pza.sanbi.org/vachellia-xanthophloea
That is an interesting read, I will have to see if it is grown in any of the arboretum in the milder parts of the UK.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 12:57:50 pm »

Thank you for that excellent info regarding "shine far from afar". As one approaches those lowlands and below level wetlands the flags are up and waving signaling so much about the habitat being approached. Very much the same as long ago South Pacific navigators who read the clouds and birds to travel island to island as comfortably as we in our back yards. As the bird reads provided proximity the color of water reads drew the charts.

As I think about this, I find the relationship interesting to the negative sense regarding computers and their use (digitally) re: photography. One does not drop into the South Pacific and become on the drop into the area, an excellent and skilled 7th sense navigator. The facility and skill arrives with purposeful attention, and tutelage from elders, if we are lucky enough to have any, moving gracefully and openly with all their senses, and the guidance of those who came before. GPS is still lousy at reading the subtleties of water. I know those subtleties are a generous part of who you are. Nice to hear from you.

I like to think there is at least a "z" of Zulu within my being~
~
A common woman~

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 10:17:40 am »

Thank you for that excellent info regarding "shine far from afar". As one approaches those lowlands and below level wetlands the flags are up and waving signaling so much about the habitat being approached. Very much the same as long ago South Pacific navigators who read the clouds and birds to travel island to island as comfortably as we in our back yards. As the bird reads provided proximity the color of water reads drew the charts.

As I think about this, I find the relationship interesting to the negative sense regarding computers and their use (digitally) re: photography. One does not drop into the South Pacific and become on the drop into the area, an excellent and skilled 7th sense navigator. The facility and skill arrives with purposeful attention, and tutelage from elders, if we are lucky enough to have any, moving gracefully and openly with all their senses, and the guidance of those who came before. GPS is still lousy at reading the subtleties of water. I know those subtleties are a generous part of who you are. Nice to hear from you.

I like to think there is at least a "z" of Zulu within my being~
~

Patricia, thank you...and likewise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up