Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Posted image size question  (Read 896 times)

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
Posted image size question
« on: August 12, 2018, 09:13:32 am »

I've been uploading my images to Flickr at 1200px long edge from LR, when I view them on Flickr they appear at the 1200px size and occupy the centre of my laptop screen which has a resolution of 3200 x 1600px so all good.
But when I post a picture on here or other forums linked from flickr using BB Code at native resolution (1200px) it is much larger to view than it was on Flickr and now occupies a much larger portion of the screen, sometimes I have to reduce the screen zoom to see the whole picture.
I use tabs so same browser etc, it's like the photos are being upscaled for some reason on the forums but appear at the correct size in flickr..
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

stamper

Re: Posted image size question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:37:48 am »

I have had the same problem and ironically when viewed larger they looked over sharpened. Does your browser have a zoom function?

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 09:42:16 am »

I can zoom out but I'm curious why it occurs, my photos look more blurred when viewed larger
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

ericbowles

• Bowles Images
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:29:59 am »

Every website or online forum has it's own way of handling images.  They often are not explicit - and may not know the optimum size.  It can vary depending on where and how the image is posted.  If images do not fit the required format, many sites automatically resize the image - and that may not be optimal.  It may or may not include sharpening.

Generally smaller images are better than large ones.  Some sites accept 1200 pixels on the width, but many others are closer to 800-900, or 1080 pixels.  It usually depends on how much of the page shows the image.  And each size needs to be optimized with sharpening.  I compromise by using 900 pixels on the leng edge unless specified otherwise.

If you really need to show detail, post a 100% crop of the area in question. 
Eric Bowles
Nature Photography
Workshops and Instruction

stamper

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:36:12 am »

The simple solution is to load them directly to LULA.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:06:08 am »

The simple solution is to load them directly to LULA.
I agree.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up