Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terra Nudum the Book  (Read 4149 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Terra Nudum the Book
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 09:02:03 am »

Hi,

I would suggest that we should look at Doug's images as a work of art.

I would suggest that Phase One sponsoring the project my be a great idea, as their equipment was used.

Just to say, the images Doug posted are great work of art.

Best regards
Erik

I seriously think we should make it known to Phase that they should sponsor this product.

They have an advertising budget, spending some of that money on this project rather than on an agency will give them exposure with their key demo: Their own customers many of who have interacted with Doug on this forum, and in person.

Also, Canon or Epson could license the prints and hand out large formats at trade shows. They never have files for this.

Doug has done a really good job here, and rather than Kickstarter etc, his everyday environment should send some of their money towards supporting the launch of his photo work - it doesn't cost them anything extra, they already have a budget, and it will be viewed very positively by their customers.

Sponshorship would show that Phase cares about photographic art and that this enthusiasm starts at home.

Edmund

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:07:37 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 10:03:12 am »

Hi,

I would suggest that we should look at Doug's images as a work of art.

I would suggest that Phase One sponsoring the project my be a great idea, as their equipment was used.

Just to say, the images Doug posted are great work of art.

Best regards
Erik

Believe you me, every(male)one likes to look at nudes, but proportionately few people actually buy them, so Doug and his wife deserve all the help they can get. Come on Phase One!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 10:39:09 am »

Hi,

I would agree on that. I was actually considering buying the book and I am still considering some kind of contribution.

My economy doesn't allow for a lot of excesses and significant spending on MFD is part of that. That said, working with MFD was a learning experience. I also need to say that I was skeptic jumping in and I am still skeptic bailing out (or ejecting).

Best regards
Erik

Believe you me, every(male)one likes to look at nudes, but proportionately few people actually buy them, so Doug and his wife deserve all the help they can get. Come on Phase One!
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 02:12:58 pm »

Hi,

I would agree on that. I was actually considering buying the book and I am still considering some kind of contribution.

My economy doesn't allow for a lot of excesses and significant spending on MFD is part of that. That said, working with MFD was a learning experience. I also need to say that I was skeptic jumping in and I am still skeptic bailing out (or ejecting).

Best regards
Erik

I think that Doug would be able to suggest the best exit strategy.
Based on what I'm seeing in this forum, a used X1D is probably the best "MF style" camera one can buy these days, or simply the Sony or Nikon high end.
Phase have lost contact with the low end. Which is another reason they should subsidize Doug, to demonstrate their abilities at the high end.

Edmund

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 08:17:36 pm »

With the kickstarter ending tomorrow I wanted to take this chance to offer my sincere thanks for all those that supported the campaign!

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 10:58:04 am »

Is this your first book,  Doug?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 11:20:24 pm »

I must say that I am very surprised and disappointed that your project didn't get more support.

The work appears to be beautiful.

Cheers,
Bernard

Doug Peterson

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 12:31:46 am »

Is this your first book,  Doug?

Would have been yes.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 12:35:01 am »

I must say that I am very surprised and disappointed that your project didn't get more support. The work appears to be beautiful.

Thanks Bernard! Still a satisfying experience to have tried. Maybe in another few years I'll make another go of it, but for now will continue it as a labor of love.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 10:44:01 am »

That was my guess ;)

My standard pitch here is to do a couple of smaller projects first. Do a book on blurb even if you only print one copy, make a book by hand, get your hands dirty.

I thought your kickstarter concept was interesting, the "be an editor" and "be a model" options were potentially attractive, but I think they're at odds with doing a good book. You're pitching a book project that's barely begun, really, and to my (admittedly cynical and idiocyncratic) eye that makes it less appealing.

But mainly, don't quit now. Do some more digging on what makes a kickstarter successful, and start that spade work now. I don't know what the current rules of thumb are, but google does. Obviously there are people that like your work.

eronald

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 07:45:27 pm »

Doug,

In artistic endeavours multiple attempts are the norm before success.

I do wonder whether the classical way wouldn't work as well: Get some galleries interested, have some works shown and at some point people who have already assembled "tabletop books" will take over for you. Or pay someone who will do the work for you.  I have published non-photo books, and the fact of dealing with a process rather than going all alone is comforting, even if it is not lucrative.

Please don't see this as disagreement with the opinion of "amolitor", many roads read to Rome. Or if you prefer, some very good photographs have been taken with cameras of various sizes :)

The majority of people on this forum have probably dealt extensively with publishing, but also the majority of your customers probably deal with getting published. Hint, hint. You might very usefully canvas for advice and connections with the people you meet every day. There is a whole world out there of people who work on contract to help with such projects, many very cheaply. The arty world is all sideprojects and IOUs and every photographer is in contact with that crowd.

Edmund

That was my guess ;)

My standard pitch here is to do a couple of smaller projects first. Do a book on blurb even if you only print one copy, make a book by hand, get your hands dirty.

I thought your kickstarter concept was interesting, the "be an editor" and "be a model" options were potentially attractive, but I think they're at odds with doing a good book. You're pitching a book project that's barely begun, really, and to my (admittedly cynical and idiocyncratic) eye that makes it less appealing.

But mainly, don't quit now. Do some more digging on what makes a kickstarter successful, and start that spade work now. I don't know what the current rules of thumb are, but google does. Obviously there are people that like your work.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:56:17 pm by eronald »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 08:45:44 am »

Hi Doug,

Sorry to hear. It was a great project.

I really wanted to contribute, but I could not make up my mind. My spendings are also limited by spending a bit to much on gear, while going into an early retirement.

Best regards
Erik

Would have been yes.
Erik Kaffehr

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 10:54:00 am »

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:58:03 am by Jack Hogan »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up