Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A mirrorless camera problem?  (Read 1372 times)

OmerV

• Photographs
A mirrorless camera problem?
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:32:58 pm »

From the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/aug/09/blue-light-from-phone-screens-accelerates-blindness-study-finds

The article does not mention if changing the color balance to a more warmer balance would mitigate or lessen the probability of eye damage from the blue light emitted by our ubiquitous digital screens.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: A mirrorless camera problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:42:11 pm »

Many thanks, Omer.

As someone who is suffering the early stages of macular degeneration it has my attention.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:53:55 pm »

Many thanks, Omer.

As someone who is suffering the early stages of macular degeneration it has my attention.

You are welcome.

I think many of us on LuLa should take note, and considering the popularity of the EVF younger photographers too should be on guard.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 03:37:46 pm »

I'm very skeptical of claims that visible spectrum blue light causes eye damage. UV spectrum light: for sure. But regular exposure to high levels of blue light is just part of normal existence. Go outside on any sunny day and you'll be bathed in the stuff.

-Dave-

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 03:55:36 pm »

I'm very skeptical of claims that visible spectrum blue light causes eye damage. UV spectrum light: for sure. But regular exposure to high levels of blue light is just part of normal existence. Go outside on any sunny day and you'll be bathed in the stuff.

-Dave-

I wondered about that also. But much of the light our eyes receive outside is reflected from colored stuff, where as our digitial screens are a source of direct light. 

DavidJ

• http://www.pistyllphoto.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 04:14:17 pm »

I think the newspaper article is jumping the gun. The research was in vitro research looking at mechanisms which can lead to loss of retinal cells. Blue light is implicated. The link is here https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-28254-8

Much of the paper is very technical and would need someone in the field to fully understand it.

There is another issue related to blue light which is established and that is its effect on sleep. Best not to look at screens before bed time. I was interested to see that Apple have added a choice on the Macbook to set a time when the colour balance can switch to a warmer colour.

David Allen

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 05:44:26 pm »

I think the newspaper article is jumping the gun. The research was in vitro research looking at mechanisms which can lead to loss of retinal cells. Blue light is implicated. The link is here https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-28254-8

Much of the paper is very technical and would need someone in the field to fully understand it.

There is another issue related to blue light which is established and that is its effect on sleep. Best not to look at screens before bed time. I was interested to see that Apple have added a choice on the Macbook to set a time when the colour balance can switch to a warmer colour.
Win 10 Creators Update also includes night light mode that does same thing.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 04:43:40 am »

Thing is, UV is all around us, and as it passes through cloud cover, even living in Glasgow or Belgium is no protection.

I have worn shades outdoors (and during one notable trip, even at night) since the 60s. During a visit to an optician here in Spain the guy mentioned that much of the trouble folks here experience with their vision stems from sunlight damage.

I guess the whilst it probably doesn't make it a positive, the light off the monitor or iPad must rate as fairly small potatoes. Yes, I do get it that a ton of large is the same as a ton of small potatoes. The difference may be that time is on your side if you opt for the small.

Rob

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 10:20:25 am »

I wondered about that also. But much of the light our eyes receive outside is reflected from colored stuff, where as our digitial screens are a source of direct light.
My eye doctor always reminds me (no need) to wear sun glasses with UV protection whenever outdoors.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 10:40:48 am »

My eye doctor always reminds me (no need) to wear sun glasses with UV protection whenever outdoors.

Well, the article did not mention ultra violet, just blue light. Damage from UV has been known, at large, for a long time. But I don’t remember ads for sunglasses claiming protection from blue light specifically, although the warmer colored versions undoubtedly do.

The thing is, blue light is visible therefore integral to how we see, so we don’t filter for it. A simple explanation of the damages between UV and blue light:

https://www.healio.com/optometry/news/blogs/%7B6d723bbc-f5bb-45a8-8995-2a70cdbf39aa%7D/gary-l-morgan-od/uv-vs-blue-light-which-is-more-dangerous

Think about how much time we now spend viewing digital screens, and photographers even more so.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 10:45:11 am »

Mine too.

A misspent youth means I have obvious UV damage to the whites of my eyes amongst other problems. Of course, as we all know, it's not just eyes that need protection, that same misspent youth resulted in malignant melanoma some thirty years ago.

Be careful out there people.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 01:09:44 pm »

Mine too.

A misspent youth means I have obvious UV damage to the whites of my eyes amongst other problems. Of course, as we all know, it's not just eyes that need protection, that same misspent youth resulted in malignant melanoma some thirty years ago.

Be careful out there people.

Keith, I feel I could write the book. Years in India; beaches at every professional opportunity I could wangle since; living here from '81. I'm surprised I am still walking. I'm as suprised that I still own my liver. Perhaps only the heart attacks saved me from blowing that - AFAIK.

Yeah, we took some crazy chances though perhaps, because of the era, from not knowing any better.

My quack put it like this: Rob skin has memory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up