Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: converted sRGB files look different outside photos  (Read 4053 times)

crisdesign

converted sRGB files look different outside photos
« on: October 16, 2006, 05:22:55 pm »

Photoshop and windows should'nt render srgb in the same way?
this is may setup:
- viewsonic crt as main screen of my sony vaio laptop (no clone or dual screen)
- monitor calibrated with spyder 2 pro
- working space adobeRGB
- photoshop and lightroor colors are equal
- convert (NOT assign)  to sRGB & save as (after the conversione the colors look nealy the same)
- i open the srgb file in windows or firefox and teh colors are much different: darker and less saturated
- reopen the picture in photoshop and the srgb piucture becames lighter and more saturated

At least with photoshop i can softproof with my monitor profile and see the color matching windows and firefox colors.
So the only solution is export from lightroom to photoshop tweek with softproofing and export to srgb; in this case lightroom becames almost useless; or there is a way to softproof in lightroom?

I've spent the last 2 nights searching the web for a solution anyone can help me?
Thanks in advance

Cris

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 08:47:43 pm »

What applications are you using to do the comparisions? If they are NOT ICC aware (like LR or Photoshop) it's not unusual they don't match. You need to be aware that with ICC aware applications, the display profile AND the document color space are both used to produce a preview. In non ICC aware applications, the display profile isn't used a lick and the numbers are sent directly to the display. So even though you have an sRGB file, one application knows this and uses the display profile to produce a preview. The other isn't. And so they don't match.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

bjanes

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 10:09:30 pm »

What applications are you using to do the comparisions? If they are NOT ICC aware (like LR or Photoshop) it's not unusual they don't match. You need to be aware that with ICC aware applications, the display profile AND the document color space are both used to produce a preview. In non ICC aware applications, the display profile isn't used a lick and the numbers are sent directly to the display. So even though you have an sRGB file, one application knows this and uses the display profile to produce a preview. The other isn't. And so they don't match.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andrew,

I know that Firefox and many other windows programs are not color managaed. I calibrate my monitor with the Colorvision Spyder and Windows XP uses this profile for system color management. If the monitor profile is somewhat similar to sRGB, wouldn't this be of some assistance in the display of sRGB images in Firefox? In my setup Firefox displays sRGB files fairly well, but aRGB and ProPhotoRGB are increasingly unsaturated.

Does this make sense?

Bill Janes

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 09:37:00 am »

Calibrating the display isn't enough (it's a start). An ICC aware application applies what's called a Display Using Monitor Compensation architecture using the profile and the document color space to build a preview. Firefox is simply taking the RGB numbers and sending them directly to the display. That display may be calibrated but it's not allowing the full use of a correct preview architecture. There's nothing you can do about this (except try a different browser).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

crisdesign

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 02:39:30 pm »

An ICC aware application applies what's called a Display Using Monitor Compensation architecture using the profile and the document color space to build a preview.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80843\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you digital dog,
Now I understand. I tought the colourmanagement system reads the embedded profile, passes the data to the os, the os takes in account the monitor profile and then renders the color in the same way. I was wrong.

So the only solution is to develop my raw for print and make few adjustments softproofing in photoshop and then export to flicrk. More time in front of computer, less time for shooting.

Anyway, Thank you again.

Cris
Pages: [1]   Go Up