Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printing large... really LARGE  (Read 927 times)

Thenolands

printing large... really LARGE
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:30:59 am »

Trying to come up with options for mounting prints that are larger than 40x60 (the largest i can find mat or foam board - and even that is tough to find relatively inexpensively). I would love to be able to mount, say, a 40"x100" panoramic (largest width I can print is 44" if full bleed which I typically don't do).

I know I can print to canvas to basically any size but I don't love photography on canvas as I don't like it looking as though I am trying to make photography look like a painting. So...

Anyone ever used a protective spray and then BACK-mounted to plexi? Basically trying to think of a fairly rigid substrate that can be procured in a large format. I don't love the idea of face-mounting this large as the dust issue would be an enormous struggle.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: printing large... really LARGE
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:39:40 am »

A few thoughts, from someone who has both printed such sizes and mounted them.

You can get 4 x 8 (48 x 96) foam core, in 1/2" and for a print of that size I would stay with either foam core or Gaterboard.  Gaterboard is not archival, as it has formaldehyde in it's make up, but it's quite strong.  If you are printing on a RC paper you should not have any issues.  The largest dry mount press I have used is a 4 x 8 (which allows for mounting to a 4 x 8 sheet of foamcore or gator.  You need to have a good shop that knows what they are doing, as it's so easy to get dirt under such a large print, and once pressed, it will show up immediately. 

For such a large print, I would not go full bleed, at you will have all types of problems, both in just handling it off the printer without getting a smudge on it and mounting it.  Leave at least 1/2" to help in handling.  You will also have to use extreme caution in just rolling up the print, to prevent a v crease, which will easily ruin a large print, even dry mounted.

As for Plexi, sure it can be done, but at a huge cost and only by a good lab.  I would never attempt that by myself, as you need a perfectly clean room to mount face mount (if that is what you are referring to). 

If you are not thinking face mount then you have to consider glazing and that will be a huge issue, both in cost and weight.  40 x 100" piece of glass is possible but so very hard to work with, not to mention transport or ship.  Many folks would move to plexiglass for such a size.  Again, huge issue as plexiglass is covered on both sides with a protective paper, once pulled off it's a static magnetic sheet for dust.  Extremely hard to clean and mount without dust showing up. It can be done, but it has to be by a shop that has working knowledge of the product. 

Other options.

Print on metal, companies like Bay photo have an excellent metal printing process, and I believe you can get to that size or close with a custom order, again won't be cheap.

Print on canvas, and then mount to gator after coating.  I have 20 or so 4 x 8 size canvas prints in various locations in my state.  All were printed on canvas, coated, then mounted to gator, and then placed in a simple metal frame for mounting.  The canvas when coated is extremely durable and much lighter than any paper solution that will have glazing.  You can also go full bleed on the canvas as the issues of handling are IMO easier than paper.

Just some thoughts, you will get a ton of other ideas.  But this has worked well for me.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 10:39:52 am »

I use 4'x8' 1/8" plywood from Home Depot. Cost $15 plus a couple of $ more for a few 1"x 2"s needed to glue to the back to keep it from warping.  I prime and paint it before mounting. At that size I print on Phototex so no glue is required.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 12:08:46 pm »

Most of our work is large and anything large goes on canvas.
Would never do anything that size on foam board. No strength and one ding and it is ruined.
Gatorboard is available in 4 by
10' sheets and is perfect for mounting.
Miracle muck on gator roll it down, trim and done.
You really should rethink canvas. You may have processing issues if it is not looking right to you?
Clients just love it and it still is our #1 best seller by far.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:40:33 pm by Dan Berg »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 12:22:53 pm »

Dan,

Where are you finding Miracle Muck for sale?  Raphel's no longer is around, and they were the only place I ever found it.  Was going to get some Glamour II as it also works, but cost 3x. 

Thanks
Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Stephen Ray

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 12:34:49 pm »

Basically trying to think of a fairly rigid substrate that can be procured in a large format.

Look at UltraBoard offerings (at least 1/2 inch) and consider an ACM (aluminum composite material) product such as Dibond®. You can usually find these available at a local sign shop or their supplier.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 01:50:32 pm »

Dan,

Where are you finding Miracle Muck for sale?  Raphel's no longer is around, and they were the only place I ever found it.  Was going to get some Glamour II as it also works, but cost 3x. 

Thanks
Paul C
Judson Art has it in smaller containers. They are working to see if they can sell by the gallon.
I bought 2 gallons this spring but need to find a source as well.
Check online as there are several art stores that sell it.

na goodman

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 02:48:19 pm »

It seems like you can still get miracle much from Raphel's when ordering online.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 04:18:13 pm »

Anyone ever used a protective spray and then BACK-mounted to plexi? Basically trying to think of a fairly rigid substrate that can be procured in a large format. I don't love the idea of face-mounting this large as the dust issue would be an enormous struggle.
Facemounting without clean room and proper tools is tough.  But using acrylic as a mounting substrate doesn’t make sense, it’s heavy and not really a good choice for this.  There are so many other options out there that should be readily available. You didn’t state your location, but if you can get sheet plexiglass, you shouldn’t have any trouble getting diBond (very flat and rigid) or Gator.  There are companies that supply materials to sign shops which typically is where plexiglass can be purchased, they should have both of these.

this is a pretty big DIY project, not sure of what you are doing with it but if you are trying to present a quality product I would find someone that could mount this for you.  Best way to mount a print that size is with a good laminator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up