Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canyonlands, Arches etc  (Read 1602 times)

Bart1963

Canyonlands, Arches etc
« on: August 08, 2018, 04:22:22 am »

I am planning a trip to Utah next years october.  Want to do some astrophotography also.
Looked at the moon at photopills and saw there is no moon at the beginning of the month and also at the end of the moon.
But will the Milky Way still be visible at the end of october?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Canyonlands, Arches etc
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:35:16 am »

According to the way I've read the photopills, I plan on shooting the Milky Way at Goblin State Park on October 8th at around 9:30 PM. Goblin is about 100 miles as the highway goes, to the south and west of Arches. When I looked, there were no camping spots available at Arches during that time frame.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 04:38:38 pm »

I am planning a trip to Utah next years october.  Want to do some astrophotography also.
Looked at the moon at photopills and saw there is no moon at the beginning of the month and also at the end of the moon.
But will the Milky Way still be visible at the end of october?
A portion of the Milky Way is always visible.  At Arches during October the center might be at the horizon. I’m not sure how much of it will show.  I think there are some websites and apps that might be used to figure that out.

Bart1963

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 04:03:07 am »

Thanks. I will be at Capitol Reef next year´s may for four days so will give it a try there.

SJ_Gordon

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 08:54:45 am »

The program I use to see what has the potential to be visible is stellarium.  It is a free download and I find it fairly accurate.  Of course it doesn't take into consideration topography and just gives a generic horizon for reference, but it is helpful.  I used it when we went to SE Utah last month.  didn't need to bother it turns out, cloudy every single night we were there... oh well, always be next trip I guess.  I was going to head to Natural Bridges National Monument for some Milky Way photos myself.  Good luck!

SangRaal

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 11:51:47 am »

If you are looking for Astro-Photography or Astro-phenomena apps and programs that are free or share ware check out the Sky & Telescope website they are loaded plus their forum has user reviews and other programs and is generally useful for Astro photography. Also to get in touch with lunar phases try one of the many lunar calendars, (hint hint) the Jewish calendar is a Lunar calendar and you can easily find them that are superimposed over the Gregorian calendar.

Knutte

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 12:01:10 pm »

I just came back from Canyonlands and I could still see the MW with my aged but bare eyes! I was surprised, of course it's not with the GC but yes, you can. The light pollution is minimal and there are plenty of foreground objects to use in nearby Arches. I did not do any astro photography on this trip as it was very cold at night, only had one semi, cloud-free night and I was mainly there to visit my daughter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up