Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ? Re Adobe and Internet  (Read 1707 times)

Brookie

? Re Adobe and Internet
« on: August 05, 2018, 09:29:13 pm »

When you work on images in Lightroom Classic CC or Photoshop does your computer continuously communicate with the Adobe Mothership via internet?  At times it seems like when I am working on image editing it gobbles up bandwidth and slows down internet for everyone else in the house. Note that I live in a very rural area and our internet stinks - so it could be just coincidental. Anyway, curious to know.

Thanks, Dave

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: ? Re Adobe and Internet
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:43:29 pm »

It should not.  I have used my CC while traveling where there has been no internet.  It requires that you talk to the Mothership at least once every 30 days to validate the license.  Otherwise it should not have to communicate continuously.  Do you open and sign on the Creative Cloud app automatically when you turn on the computer?  I only do that when I want to check for updates.   Otherwise, it will probably do some auto-update checking and downloading that may take some band-width out of your control.  So I would just take it out of the Start Up programs.  You can also check by turning off the wifi (or removing the ethernet cable as the case may be) and do your CC work and see if you have any problems.

Brookie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 07:16:58 pm »

Thanks for the comments. I do not have the apps on auto start. I will try your suggestion of turning off the WiFi and see if the bandwidth issue persists. Thanks again!

Brookie

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 05:49:27 pm »

After running LR and PS (Classic subscription version) for several days now with WiFi turned off as well as on - I am fairly sure that these applications communicate back to the mothership much more frequently than once a month. For instance, with WiFi off by the second or third day I could not open LR without first reconnecting. And I do think that it also impacts bandwidth for other users in the house. Perhaps it is worse for me than many folks because of the poor rural internet service I’m stuck with.  This is not going to change my usage, but I may be switching off from WiFi frequently so other bandwidth is not impacted. Having to fuss with that is a bit annoying....  :-\

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 01:01:48 pm »

Thanks for the update.  There is no telling what these tech companies would do once they get hold of your computer.  May be there is a fine print somewhere that allows them to collect some data in the guise of "learning" how to serve the customers better. 

According to Adobe:

Do I need to be online to access my desktop apps?

No, the desktop applications in Creative Cloud, such as Photoshop and Illustrator, are installed directly on your computer. So, you don’t need an ongoing Internet connection to use them.

An Internet connection is required the first time you install and license your apps. But, you can use the apps in offline mode with a valid software license. The desktop apps attempt to validate your software licenses every 30 days.

Annual members can use the apps for up to 99 days in offline mode. Month-to-month members can use the software for up to 30 days in offline mode.

Go figure!
Pages: [1]   Go Up