Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Give us your best shots! A suggestion from Keith.  (Read 14128 times)

Rob C

Re: Give us your best shots! A suggestion from Keith.
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2018, 10:49:12 am »

Keith expressed it for me, as well.

That blur around the red makes the magic that, had everything been crisp, you wouldn't have caught.

I wish I had that amount of forethought when I photograph. Very well shot, Francisco.

Rob

Ivophoto

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2018, 11:04:52 am »

Very nice long exposure shot! Agree with previous comments.

What ND brand do you use?

Richowens

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2018, 11:17:16 am »

My favorite.

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2018, 03:24:22 pm »

My favorite.

I can see why.

:-)

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2018, 07:35:45 pm »

Frank, I'm not surprised, it is an utterly beautiful image! The juxtaposition of the subtle blue/grey background and the vibrant red sculpture is divine.

Keith expressed it for me, as well.

That blur around the red makes the magic that, had everything been crisp, you wouldn't have caught.

I wish I had that amount of forethought when I photograph. Very well shot, Francisco.

Rob

Thanks so much for your comments!

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2018, 07:36:48 pm »

Very nice long exposure shot! Agree with previous comments.

What ND brand do you use?

Thank you Ivo. I use a square Formatt Hitech Pro IRND, 6 Stops

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2018, 12:59:01 am »

Thank you Ivo. I use a square Formatt Hitech Pro IRND, 6 Stops

I use HiTech as well, theye are very color neutral, what not can be said for Lee. Tx for the info

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2018, 12:59:35 am »

James Clark

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2018, 02:20:27 pm »

Here's mine.  It's one of my older images, but remains a favorite because I think it is still the one that captures my favorite aesthetic - subtract, then subtract more, and then even more, but somehow keep a strong focus and a sense of place that can still fill a wall.  I've got multiple edits - a pano that won an Epson award, an artificially aged version that just touches the line of being inauthentic, and a number of harder and softer color treatments, but this is the most honest and most basic.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2018, 02:44:41 pm »

Yes, a great shot, James.

Rob C

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2018, 03:40:33 pm »

Here's mine.  It's one of my older images, but remains a favorite because I think it is still the one that captures my favorite aesthetic - subtract, then subtract more, and then even more, but somehow keep a strong focus and a sense of place that can still fill a wall.  I've got multiple edits - a pano that won an Epson award, an artificially aged version that just touches the line of being inauthentic, and a number of harder and softer color treatments, but this is the most honest and most basic.

Lovely, delicate touch.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 04:14:45 pm by Rob C »

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2018, 03:42:50 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2018, 04:16:22 pm »

+1

I guess my own touch was so delicate too that I faded off the b in Rob!

Corrected, now, with a firmer hand.

;-)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2018, 04:58:04 pm »

Great shots all around!

I have trouble picking favorites, especially of my own work.
So here is one that has become a favorite lately. It's going to be in Outdoor Photographer this (I think) month as a finalist in their American Landscape contest.

We had a mostly snowless winter last year but I shot this as a storm was rolling in that would cover the ice with snow for the remainder of the season. The deep water from a big winter the previous year also contributes to making this unusual and difficult to reproduce. There definitely will not be enough water for this here when winter returns this year.
To illuminate the bubbles, I used a green gelled speedlight and manually shot it straight into the ice just out of the frame, once on each side during the 30s exposure. I tried to get one more after this and the wind moved the tripod so I quit and went home. I have more ideas to try if the opportunity presents its self again.

-MattB

Two23

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2018, 09:35:39 pm »

I hate to be the one who follows that shot above, but I guess someone has to do it. :)   Below is my favorite shot, at least at the moment.  It's a photo of the D&I train coming back north from Sioux City, IA to it's home in Dell Rapids, SD.  The location is the small grain elevator complex at the tiny town of Hudson, SD.  I used x8 White Lightning X3200 monolights with 8 inch "high output" reflectors to light the steel bins.  I used x8 Nikon SB-25 flash to light the train.  All were fired remotely by CyberSync triggers (I have a box full of them.)  All in all there's over 11,000ws of flash here. :o  It's a tricky shot in that I was dealing with two exposures:  the exposure on the bins and the exposure on the train.  I matched them using a Minolta IVf flashmeter.  It took me an hour and a half to set everything up, adjust, and test.  The train was moving at 25 mph.  The thing is if I screw up, I don't get a second chance.  The train won't back up for a second pass. ;)  To get a sense of scale of the shot, note the red tractor in the bottom left corner parked next to the steel bin.

Why I like this shot.  I really love shooting at night.  It's a challenge extremely few will attempt, especially on this scale.  I scout locations during the day and have to pre-visualize how they would look done at night.  I have to determine where to place the flash so they don't appear in the shot, give an even coverage, and will reliably fire.  There are dozens of small details/connections and if any one of them fails the shot won't work.  I love the challenge!  I also love sitting out alone on a winter's night as it's very peaceful.  In winter, the sound of the approaching train can be heard a long way.  That only builds my anticipation!  I generally mark a spot on the tracks with chalk or something so I don't screw up and pull the trigger in the wrong place.  This railroad uses my shots for their annual calendars, as do a few other railroads.  It's a niche for sure, but I very much enjoy it.  I chose this particular shot because after I first viewed it on my home screen, I knew for certain I had finally reached the level of skill I'd been after for nearly five years.  I felt a genuine sense of accomplishment in planning and pulling it off! 8)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2018, 03:54:37 am »

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread for their inspirational images!

Keep 'em coming, guys.

Rob C

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 04:30:41 am »

Great shots all around!

I have trouble picking favorites, especially of my own work.
So here is one that has become a favorite lately. It's going to be in Outdoor Photographer this (I think) month as a finalist in their American Landscape contest.

We had a mostly snowless winter last year but I shot this as a storm was rolling in that would cover the ice with snow for the remainder of the season. The deep water from a big winter the previous year also contributes to making this unusual and difficult to reproduce. There definitely will not be enough water for this here when winter returns this year.
To illuminate the bubbles, I used a green gelled speedlight and manually shot it straight into the ice just out of the frame, once on each side during the 30s exposure. I tried to get one more after this and the wind moved the tripod so I quit and went home. I have more ideas to try if the opportunity presents its self again.

Incredible imagination!

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2018, 11:59:49 am »

My favorite, at least when landscapes are concerned: Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse, Acadia NP, Maine.

Background story:

When I first arrived for a sunset, literally busloads of tourists and quite a number of photographers with carbon-fiber tripods and red-line lenses were already there, occupying every vantage point imaginable. The sky, unfortunately, did not look particularly promising (to me, at least - see the "Early Attempt" in the attachments). I decided to try again after the sunset, hoping the afterglow might be less contrasty and more pleasing. While the decision might sound like something an experienced landscape photographer would have made, there was also a more prosaic reason. I wanted to wait it out, but I had a wife and an eight year daughter in tow. My then-wife was adamant not to sit and wait for "no stupid sunset" and demanded to drive her back to a nearby village for a cup of tea. Those who were there know that the lighthouse is pretty remote, and driving back, finding a family-friendly restaurant, dropping them off, and driving back probably took an hour.

When I came back, not only the hordes of tourists disappeared as soon as the sun dipped behind the clouds on the horizon, but also all the photographers but one left, to my surprise. The two of us had the whole rocky shore at our disposal, without getting in each other's way. I noticed a small tidal pool on the rocks, reflecting the top of the lighthouse, and decided to make it a part of the composition. The lighthouse light was actually pulsating at regular intervals, so when making a bunch of bracketed exposures, I would have to count 1-2-3 in between shots, in order to coincide with the strongest pulse.

Post Processing

The shot was from 2007, done with a Canon 20D. I think I was processing it almost a year later. It was a difficult shot to process, even bracketed. It took days. Not just because of the complexity, but also because I would let intermediate results sit for a couple of days, so when I return to it I can see it with fresh eyes.

At the time, in 2007 and 2008, I was reading three books that became my photographic bibles:

- Pictorial Composition (Composition in Art)

- Picture This: How Pictures Work

- Perception and Imaging: Photography-A Way of Seeing

I tried applying everything I learned into the processing of this image. Another reason it took days until I was reasonably satisfied with the result. Also, these days, automated processing of bracketed shots in Lightroom would probably make it much easier and faster, but back then, I was doing it all in separate layers in Photoshop. Greater control, but much more painstaking.

Why This Image

The story behind it, road trip, family involvement, extreme difficulties in processing it, and ultimate reward (cover of a magazine) are the reasons. I understand it is not much "artsy," more like "chocolate-box pretty." I know it is what I call utilitarian photography, probably more suitable for a calendar (the third one in this thread), or a tourist brochure, or a magazine cover. Then again, there is more to photography than just "artsy."

If you made it this far, thanks for being patient.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2018, 12:12:28 pm »

Incredible imagination!

Rob

Thanks Rob!

My favorite, at least when landscapes are concerned: Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse, Acadia NP, Maine.

Great image and story. Those of us with families can probably relate to the reluctant spouse and kid(s). That's all part of the act of juggling compromises that often comes with landscape photography with a family along!
-MattB

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2018, 01:32:19 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up