Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PTGui 11.6 - Lightning speed raw stitching  (Read 5012 times)

dreed

PTGui 11.6 - Lightning speed raw stitching
« on: August 03, 2018, 07:36:04 am »

I've been using Lr/ACR for landscape merges recently because dcraw hadn't been updated in a long time to deal with new cameras. Now that it has..

OMFG.

It stitched a 21 image preview in less time that it takes to start Lr or Ps! (j'king)
It completed the merge so quickly that I thought it had failed.
With Lr I would have gone for coffee and then probably come back to some sort of error.

Damn these guys are good!

Might be a TIFF rather than DNG output but damn... the productivity increase is incalculable.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: PTGui 11.6 - Lightning speed raw stitching
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:26:06 am »

it is only one guy !... Joost Nieuwenhuijse.. Rotterdam

his latest version 11 brings a lot of new features.. you can even stitch photos made with different lenses together..

He made the front end on Helmut Dersch formulas ( panotools). ( like most panorama stitch programs have done)

pt gui means panotools grafical interface

i see that software made by small groups or even one person are ususally more coherent and better built.
( irridient developer comes to mind)

and they make beter use of the hardware.. in this case OpenCL and all the cpu cores.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 09:27:37 am »

I've been using Lr/ACR for landscape merges recently because dcraw hadn't been updated in a long time to deal with new cameras. Now that it has..

OMFG.

It stitched a 21 image preview in less time that it takes to start Lr or Ps! (j'king)
With Lr I would have gone for coffee and then probably come back to some sort of error.

Might be a TIFF rather than DNG output but damn... the productivity increase is incalculable.

Hi,

I agree, PTGUI (Pro) version 11 is a very worthwhile upgrade of an already very good version 10. Besides an overhaul of the User Interface and (GPU) processing speed, many finer points have been addressed that will make life easier, and more productive. Several image (e.g. Preview) quality improvements have also been implemented.

Here is a full list of what's changed:
https://www.ptgui.com/whatsnew.html?version=110000

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

kirkt

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 10:06:52 am »

PTGui 11 New Features and Developments | Joost Nieuwenhuijse | Vienna 2017 IVRPA

PTGui Headquarters has been working hard developing and digging through the long list of feature requests and at the conference Joost Nieuwenhuijse will give a sneak preview of what's in store for the next release of PTGui 11 at the Vienna 2017 - IVRPA 360° Virtual Reality Panoramic Photography & 360° Video Conference, June 3-6 2017.

https://youtu.be/Cmv1z_pIQ1k

Joost Nieuwenhuijse, the creator of PTGui, explaining the new functionality and features of v11. In addition to the interesting aspects of the new software, I found his explanation of how programming problems are tackled really interesting. To those of us who get frustrated with software not keeping up with our expectations and having to make sacrifices or work around quirks and limitations, Joost's insights lend some perspective.

He basically decided to re-write the core of PTGui for v11 - not a trivial task. It appears in this video that his hard work is worth every second of the effort -having done some stitches with the newest (11.6) version, I cannot disagree.  It is terrific.

Pretty cool.

Kirk

dreed

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 11:21:50 am »

Joost Nieuwenhuijse, the creator of PTGu

Wouldn't it be an interesting to read/view an interview on LuLa with him?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 11:25:52 am »

I don't think he manufactures mirrorless cameras! ;D

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 01:59:54 pm »

I quite agree.

And Alan: LuLa does sometimes post items on other topics.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 06:07:23 pm »

Yes, PTGui is brill.  That and Helicon Focus for focus stacking from my Fuji X-T2 are ones I'm glad I have.
Jonathan in UK

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 03:57:25 am »

OMFG.

Sigh... I have been saying that for about 7-8 years...  ;D

Jokes aside, glad you have tried, PTGui is totally outstanding indeed and leagues ahead of PS and LR. So much better it isn't even funny.

I can't even think of a good car comparison because PTGUI would have both the convenience of the Golf, the price of a Skoda, the quality of support of Bugatti and the performance of the Ferrari. Its only downside is complexity I guess. It is a tool for dedicated stitcher not the occasional user.

The only alternative is Autopano.

Cheers,
Bernard

dreed

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 09:41:39 am »

This one is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euBz1PEYBtY

photographer masks both himself and his equipment out of a 360 shoot in a room.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 01:25:04 am »

Sigh... I have been saying that for about 7-8 years...  ;D

Jokes aside, glad you have tried, PTGui is totally outstanding indeed and leagues ahead of PS and LR. So much better it isn't even funny.

I can't even think of a good car comparison because PTGUI would have both the convenience of the Golf, the price of a Skoda, the quality of support of Bugatti and the performance of the Ferrari. Its only downside is complexity I guess. It is a tool for dedicated stitcher not the occasional user.

The only alternative is Autopano.

Cheers,
Bernard

I fully agree. Tried the new version 11.6 and was amazed at the speed of the program and number of features/projections the program offers.
Actually, if you want to stitch several image segments just in one row (from horizontal or vertical images), the operation is simple and quite straightforward.
Multiple rows and spherical projections may be more complicated, but the preview mode is very helpful in figuring out which projection or what parameters are needed.

vjbelle

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 10:00:36 am »

Fabulous software that I have been using for years.  Worlds ahead of PS.  I also have Autopano but have found it buggy in the past.  After informing Autopano of the bug they acknowledged the bug but it took almost a solid year to fix it.  The software was very cumbersome to use with the bug. 

Victor

jrp

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 02:34:22 pm »

I think that the Lightroom tools for hdr and pano have improved significantly in recent releases. They are designed to be simple to use and so either they work or they don’t.

Autopano used to be a bit more sophisticated than PTGui, but they were both prone to producing weird results on occasion for unpredictable reasons.

If it is the case that PTGui now has a better (eg, more intuitive) interface that doesn’t require lots of experimentation and is more robust that can only be a good thing for those difficult stitchings that fail on Lightroom.

One small observation is that Lightroom has an extensive lens database. If PTGui can read the lens corrections inside DNGs that would be very encouraging.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 05:10:13 am »

One small observation is that Lightroom has an extensive lens database. If PTGui can read the lens corrections inside DNGs that would be very encouraging.

PTGui does not need to read that lens correction information- In making the stitches it corrects the lens in perfect way dedicated to your own lens.
In fact i would like it if ptgui would have a lens correction module and a plugin for photoshop.
Also i would like to see it develop into a swiss army knive making it also usefulltot stabilize video shots.
the tools are already in the package.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:28:07 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 12:49:58 pm »

Greatly improved speed on assembly for sure.

Still would love to see ability to warp during stitching similar to how "boundary warp" works in LR.    Just prefer to use the LR tool for that one feature as when using raw or imported tif, it will warp with very little if loss of detail, unlike the warp tool in CC. 

Exposure blending for me is still better in LR, especially on shots with a blue blue sky over many frames. 

Overall nice improvement to the interface also.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

kirkt

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 09:42:35 am »

Kolor is apparently closing and will no longer sell its products as of today:

http://www.kolor.com

Bummer.

Kirk

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 01:23:54 pm »

Kolor is apparently closing and will no longer sell its products as of today

Major bad news.  I used to use PTGui Pro, but switched to Autopano Giga a few years ago.  I liked it much better, but can't remember exactly why.  Now that it will no longer be supported, I may be forced to make the switch back to PTGui.  Glad to hear such positive reviews of the latest version.

FabienP

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 06:31:03 pm »

So Kolor is one more shop bought for its intellectual property and patents by a major player, which then loses interest in the initial product offering. :(

On the other hand, this should put an end to the dilemma about which product is the best pano tool: only PTGui remains... But wait: there is still Hugin! :D

Cheers,

Fabien
Pages: [1]   Go Up