Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sekonic 758 camera profiling with Nikon D800E  (Read 1471 times)

welly

Sekonic 758 camera profiling with Nikon D800E
« on: August 03, 2018, 06:04:56 am »

I recently bought an Xrite ColorChecker Passport to do some camera and light meter profiling and after a bit of mucking about, I've managed to get it all working in that I have been able to create a profile in DTS and transfer it to my Sekonic 758. So that bit is good to go.

My question is regarding the actual profiling of my camera. I took the three required shots - one at the value provided by the spot meter, one at three stops under and one at three stops over and then loaded them into Sekonic DTS. This is the resulting graph:

It seems to me the dynamic range is a little narrow. I was under the impression that the D800 sensor was capable of 14 stops of DR. I assume I'm missing something or perhaps my profile images need revisiting. I shot them around 6:30pm last night (was still really quite bright) but I may try again tomorrow late morning, I'm not sure if the light will have much/any affect on profiling the lens but would welcome any advice on this!

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions!

Thanks in advance

DP

Re: Sekonic 758 camera profiling with Nikon D800E
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:57:27 pm »

I never RTFM, but I assume Sekonic's software reads JPG or TIFF so you are @ mercy of how you do your raw conversion to feed the said files to it... plus even if in lab testing something can capture 14 stops that does not mean that in your situation with your lens mounted on your camera and all flare & glare you will ever hit anywhere near that much in a single shot.

Georgecp

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 07:07:25 am »

Good morning.

The sekonic software and light meter are a terrific package; however, the profile creator section makes very conservative assumptions about clipping points, dynamic range, and mid-tone settings..If you use the profile, take a shot where the meter shows clipping and then see what it actually looks like in your post--processing.  If you see detail, then you can can adjust the profile.  The software has an edit function that lets you move the points and dynamic rage out or in...I have tuned my profiles over the years and every time the sekonic software was conservative and I moved them out.

The other poster's point is valid, however, you will not necessarily find the same dynamic range in practice as the lab tests indicate.

Last point, the software will take TIFF files; you are not limited to JPEG.  I use TIFF from RAW files to approximate the cameras actual characteristics as closely as possible when building profiles.

Best Regards,
George Pappas

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 05:45:41 am »

In case you need a linear tif generated from the raw file, RawTherapee has this function.
Pages: [1]   Go Up