Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X1D wifi question, help!  (Read 1511 times)

rastas

X1D wifi question, help!
« on: August 01, 2018, 05:54:30 pm »

Im considering buying the X1d, but need to confirm one thing. I need for the camera to be able to send images (just a jpg preview of what was shot) to an ipad running Phocus app. Can someone please confirm the following:

-will it send a picture of what I just shot to the ipad?

-how long does transfer take?

-will it just send ipad?

-how stable is the app?

-can I pinch to zoom to check focus in live view?

-can I quickly scroll through the previously shot images?

other oddball quesitons for extra credit:

-is there a built in electronic level on camera and is it easy to access?
-anyone using canon TSE lenses with this camera (via Kipon adapter) with success?

thank you all.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: X1D wifi question, help!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:19:38 pm »

-will it send a picture of what I just shot to the ipad? Yes to my iPad4. For some reason not to my iPhone 6. I am still figuring out why. It may be that i used the iPad first and that is what it expects and I need to figure out how to forget a device.

-how long does transfer take? Virtually instant. Less than a second.

-will it just send ipad? See first comment.

-how stable is the app? Seems stable

-can I pinch to zoom to check focus in live view? Yes

-can I quickly scroll through the previously shot images? Virtually instant

See video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQSlShU4CMw
and also the description in the app store.

other oddball quesitons for extra credit:

-is there a built in electronic level on camera and is it easy to access? Yes Pg 117 in the manual
-anyone using canon TSE lenses with this camera (via Kipon adapter) with success? No but I hope to as soon as I can get the adapter.

thank you all.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

rastas

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:12:26 pm »

Thanks bob... this is very helpful. Follow on question: I used to have the fuji gfx, and used it with a clunky app named cascable. The image came across and showed on the ipad almost immediately, but it was not the actual taken image - it was like a screen grab of the viewfinder feed.

In other words, if I shot a picture and used flash, or did a long bulb exposure, I wouldn't see the flash in the image that came across, instead I would see what appeared to be a frozen live feed image.

Im assuming the image that comes from the x1d to the ipad is a preview of the actual last image taken, and not some liveview screen grab?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 09:04:47 pm »

Im assuming the image that comes from the x1d to the ipad is a preview of the actual last image taken, and not some liveview screen grab?
Yes. The image is exactly what you have taken and you can zoom 100%
You can see all of the images in the card folder.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

pschefz

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 10:49:22 pm »

hasselblad handles the wifi connection like an extension of the finder or LCD....you will see the same image you would see on the back LCD or through the EVF while going through your images....that includes zooming in to 100%.....
this is not the raw image but a jpeg preview....which is why this works so well and fast.....
unlike fuji, hasselblad does not have built in looks, and i am not sure the preview can be adjusted in any way.....so it will be a plain representation of the raw file, which might not be something to show to a client but is great for shooting and checking things on a bigger screen....
i think the images can be rated and that rating will translate onto the raw file in camera (not sure about that one though)....

i wish fuji (and sony and nikon) would bring this to their cameras as well.....especially in combination with the film looks this would be an awesome way to give clients not only an idea of composition but also good looking images.....a huge reason why so many people shoot canon is and was that the image review on the back always look great (especially people/skintones).....

strange about the cascable app....not sure why they would show a screen shot of live view? officially the GFX is not supported afaik, so maybe that is an issue? regardless, cascable works just like the fuji app.....it transfers a jpeg of predefined size over wifi to the iPad.....so if that is a full size jpeg, 100% zoom is possible but it takes a few seconds.......the hasselblad solution only transfers more data only when asked for it......
at least that is how i understand it.....i also believe that phase has this feature as well?
schefz.com
artloch.com

rastas

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 12:50:19 am »

Thanks all. FUJI IF YOU READ THIS: I bought your camera and returned it because the GFX doesn't allow for this immediate viewing, zooming, previwing etc. (their silly app doesn't count). I am buying a hasselblad because I need this feature.

pschefz

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:03:08 am »

Thanks all. FUJI IF YOU READ THIS: I bought your camera and returned it because the GFX doesn't allow for this immediate viewing, zooming, previwing etc. (their silly app doesn't count). I am buying a hasselblad because I need this feature.

as much as i would love to see this feature in the fuji (and all other cameras), there are a few reasons not to get the X1D, especially when it comes to handling and features, not saying at all that it is not worth buying but this functionality has limitations in reality as well....
schefz.com
artloch.com

tcdeveau

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 05:41:46 pm »

If this is a feature you will buy the camera for and one you will rely on, I'd test it out before you buy. 

I've found Phocus Mobile in my usage as an X1D owner to be quirky and I prefer image review in camera but YMMV. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up