Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1 Studio Printer Profiling - will it be useful with papers with OBAs?  (Read 1481 times)

denalilap

I decided to rent an i1 Studio to profile my printers. Subsequent to doing so, I read a posting that mentioned this device was inadequate for generating profiles for papers that have OBAs (because of not having UV sensor?). Is this the case? If the i1S is not useful for OBA papers, does it provide reasonable profiles for non-OBA papers?

That posting also stated that the devices is inadequate for monitor calibration. I have an i1 DisplayPro, which produced profiles that had larger gamut volumes than those produced by the i1S, in all of the various iterations I tried. 

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS

Subsequent to doing so, I read a posting that mentioned this device was inadequate for generating profiles for papers that have OBAs (because of not having UV sensor?). Is this the case? If the i1S is not useful for OBA papers, does it provide reasonable profiles for non-OBA papers?
The illumination source the ColorMunki/i1Studio uses doesn't emit any UV, so FWA/OBA's don't get triggered. This means that the ColorMunki/i1Studio is effectively a "UV cut" type of instrument.

Whether this is a problem for you depends on how much FWA/OBA is in your paper, and what your viewing illuminant is. If your viewing illuminant is also poor in UV (i.e. it's LED lighting, domestic Flourescent lighting, or your prints will be mounted under glass), then this won't be a problem.

If on the other hand you are viewing under graphic arts compatible D50 illuminant that have UV content, or if you are viewing in daylight etc., then you may not get the best results.
That posting also stated that the devices is inadequate for monitor calibration.
I don't agree with that. It's possibly the least accurate spectrometer you can use for display measurement, but that's because it's the least expensive. It's still going to be better than a colorimeter that isn't calibrated for something very similar to your type of display.

denalilap

Re: i1 Studio Printer Profiling - will it be useful with papers with OBAs?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 03:44:11 am »

The illumination source the ColorMunki/i1Studio uses doesn't emit any UV, so FWA/OBA's don't get triggered. This means that the ColorMunki/i1Studio is effectively a "UV cut" type of instrument.

Whether this is a problem for you depends on how much FWA/OBA is in your paper, and what your viewing illuminant is. If your viewing illuminant is also poor in UV (i.e. it's LED lighting, domestic Flourescent lighting, or your prints will be mounted under glass), then this won't be a problem.

If on the other hand you are viewing under graphic arts compatible D50 illuminant that have UV content, or if you are viewing in daylight etc., then you may not get the best results.I don't agree with that. It's possibly the least accurate spectrometer you can use for display measurement, but that's because it's the least expensive. It's still going to be better than a colorimeter that isn't calibrated for something very similar to your type of display.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

An ancillary question... I used the i1S to produce profiles using the i1S SW and Argyle. All the profiles (using either SW) produce profiles that have slightly smaller gamut volume than the ones provided by printer or paper manufacturer (for the same printer/paper combo).  The size difference is a fraction of a % to maybe 3%. Is this expected? Am I correct to assume that GV alone does not indicate which profile is better in a given situation, and that one needs to consider the image and how a given profile interprets the image? For example, if I have an image of fall foliage and one of the profiles has a slightly smaller GV but seems to extend more into orange and red (as shown by ColorThink), I would be better off with the profile that has the smaller GV?

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
Re: i1 Studio Printer Profiling - will it be useful with papers with OBAs?
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:00:04 pm »

All the profiles (using either SW) produce profiles that have slightly smaller gamut volume than the ones provided by printer or paper manufacturer (for the same printer/paper combo).  The size difference is a fraction of a % to maybe 3%. Is this expected?
It's normal that no two print/measure cycles using different equipment will perfectly match. Hard to know exactly why such differences occur, and a factor may be the profiling software itself, as well as how you are viewing the gamut volume.

i.e. one wonders if the paper and ink and printer "at the factory" are particularly good examples, and what the dry down time is. They may be using different instruments that are calibrated slightly differently or have different illuminants (UV content).
The way in which the profiling software determines the white point may be different.
The white point chromatic adaptation matrix may be different (ICC spec. uses "wrong" Von Kries, Argyll uses the more visually accurate Bradford matrix.)
Whether you are examining the absolute or white point relative gamut may make a difference.
etc.
Am I correct to assume that GV alone does not indicate which profile is better in a given situation, and that one needs to consider the image and how a given profile interprets the image?
Checking gamut volume may be a sanity check, but ultimately I don't see it as something to worry about. When you make a profile it reflects the actual color of your actual printer with the best instrument you have available to you. You have therefore put yourself in the best practical position to be making good prints.

Many other considerations will likely have a greater influence on the subjective result, such as the way a photo was shot, the way it has been adapted from the scene reality to the limitations of display and then print media (luminance/dynamic range, viewing conditions and gamut limits), etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up