Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All RAW images slightly cropped by default in C1  (Read 1746 times)

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
All RAW images slightly cropped by default in C1
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:51:54 am »

Why does Capture 1 (v11.2) slightly crop all RAW images both in thumbnails and in the viewer by default? Tiffs and jpgs are unaffected.
I've got the C1 for Sony Pro version.
If I open an image and crop it I can restore it to its full size but then it shows as been modified.
It's just a slight crop around the entire perimeter of the picture.
I looked under settings but can't see it mentioned anywhere.
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
Re: All RAW images slightly cropped by default in C1
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 09:10:11 am »

It's OK, I worked it out, it's lens correction. If I toggle lens correction off I see the full image and it varies by image depending on the amount of lens correction applied.
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 04:36:31 pm »

I've seen that the amount of cropping due to lens correction on RAW files depends on the lens. I find virtually no cropping with Leica DNG files from my M10s, however, certain lenses on my Fuji XT2 show more.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 09:28:23 am »

C1 has an option to "hide distorted areas" in the lens correction panel. These distorted areas are lens-specific.

The View

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 03:22:03 am »

The "lens correction" is a questionable feature.

It never looks better, and you usually lose some image quality through it.

I have turned it off on all images.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Steve Gordon

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 10:19:55 am »

The "lens correction" is a questionable feature.

It never looks better, and you usually lose some image quality through it.

I have turned it off on all images.

Hmmn...
It must be doing something useful, sometimes...

? Architectural stuff.
I'll have to try it on and off.

I'd always assumed lens distortions were bad ?

johnvanatta

• Website
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 08:12:51 pm »

For micro four thirds, lens correction is specified as part of the standard, and Lightroom applies it automatically with no option to disable it. I definitely like Capture One's behavior better, giving the choice to apply it or not. Turning it off for a m43 camera is actually seeing "more" of the image than you'll get SOOC. The difference in angle of view for a wide angle shot in 3:2 or 16:9 is substantial!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 12:59:20 pm »

For micro four thirds, lens correction is specified as part of the standard, and Lightroom applies it automatically with no option to disable it. I definitely like Capture One's behavior better, giving the choice to apply it or not. Turning it off for a m43 camera is actually seeing "more" of the image than you'll get SOOC. The difference in angle of view for a wide angle shot in 3:2 or 16:9 is substantial!

Hi,

I also like that Capture One offers the possibility to choose. Distortion correction requires resampling of the image data and that will result in slightly reduced image quality at the pixel level. However, for some subjects, the distortion is much more distracting and detrimental to delivering the message. So, it's a trade-off.

I'd say that for subjects with predictable geometry, like architecture or certain product shots, it helps to reduce the geometrical distortions. It's similar to removing keystoning. Capture One also offers the possibility to adjust the amount of correction, which make it even more useful.

To make sure that the Distortion correction for certain images is automatically applied, or not applied, one can make a User Style out of it and apply that when importing the images (see attached), or at a later stage.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up