Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: App for tethering the Fuji GFX on Capture One...  (Read 4475 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: App for tethering the Fuji GFX on Capture One...
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2018, 12:10:31 pm »

95% of my commercial work is tethered. I have Used Leaf Capture a lot but moving off that platform and onto Sony I did the LR watched folder thing. I have used this system for about two yearstethering the a600, a6300, a6500 and A7R 3. These cameras won’t tether directly into LR.

The system is a total dog in my opinion. Clunky and slow, tedious to set up. In frustration I bit the bullet and gave C1 a go. I had looked at it previously and didn’t get along with it.

C1 tethering is a dream. The whole session system is a well thought out workflow and makes things simple and versatile. I can change camera  settings easily.

Then there is the colour. The Sony files out of C1 are remarkably good. It’s a whole other level. The tools are terrific and I have moved my whole workflow over to C1. I still have and use LR but less and less.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

pschefz

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 04:24:41 pm »

had some time today to do a little testing tethering the A7RIII, i used all latest software versions...
first of all, yes, C1 is the tether solution with sony....the sony remote/viewer, watched folder into LR classic works but it is not what i would call smooth....i did not have any real issues but all in all it does mean running several apps, which have to be set up and have to behave and it is slower....
C1 is definitely faster then the watched folder solution....
what is surprising to me is how much smoother and faster GFX tethering is with LR compared to A7RIII with C1....capture speed might be similar but previews are much snappier with GFX/LR....
i also have to say that i have been working with LR CC cloud version for a while now and really like it....there are some things i would like to see (export options are a joke) so i have had to go back to LR for a few things other then tethering the GFX, bbut in general everything is done in LR CC.....and it is night and day compared to LR classic and C1.....i was amazed how clunky the workflow felt to me after not using it for less then 2 years but having used it for so long before that.....
i guess i will have to figure out what the better solution is for me right now, because regardless, the files will end up in LR CC asap, no matter what i use to get them into the computer....LR classic would give me consistency in terms of raw processing, but the tethering is not so hot and i am worried about it in a job situation....C1 seems solid in terms of tethering ,every digital tech will ask for it anyway and in the end i can just import the raws into LR CC....
i am honestly amazed that tethering is still such an issue after all these years.....the fuji GFX software to LR classic shows what can be done....it is the best tethering solution i have ever worked with....
also: why, why, why is it that the raws are not on the card when i shoot tethered? i really have gotten so used to that with the GFX....instant back up....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2018, 06:01:21 pm »

what is surprising to me is how much smoother and faster GFX tethering is with LR compared to A7RIII with C1....capture speed might be similar but previews are much snappier with GFX/LR....

This will depend very heavily on computer configuration and settings.

Notably Capture One heavily leverages the graphics card and development is heavily biased toward squeezing the most performance from high-end graphics cards, so the overall experience in C1 lives and dies by that.

Capture One also has a preview/proxy size selection that if mis-set for the given setup you're running can cause performance to be far lower than normal. I don't want to hijack this thread with a lot of off-topic back and forth but would encourage you to start a new thread in the Capture One section about how to max out your performance and asking for points of comparisons with other computer configurations so you can trace down why your performance is subpar.

pschefz

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 05:39:40 pm »

so i had some time to look into this now and just wanted to share my findings....
I will definitely use C1 with the sony for tethering....I will also use it with the sony files in general, color IS better for me then LR/ACR....
I havent figured out how to work this into my existing LR workflow, but it will probably come down to simply adding final files to LR....
I dont think C1 catalog workflow is an option, I am willing to listen to other opinions but LR and especially cloud (with portfolio and behance) just offers much more for delivery.....

to bring this back to the initial topic: I tried converted GFX files in C1 and dont see any reason at all to use C1 with the GFX....and there are still 2 things i much prefer with  GFX/LR tether workflow to A7RIII/C1 tether workflow....the GFX automatically saves to laptop AND card....this is huge...and great....this also somehow makes switching between tether and untether easier....i got really used to being able to pull the cord, plug it back in and somehow it all works great, maybe there is a trick for C1? but i remember this always being a little bit of an issue before....the other thing is speed, GFX into LR still seems faster to me, not sure why, i did tweak some settings, maybe it is because of that little delay of the files "sharpening up" after they come in in C1? it might not actually be that GFX files do come in faster, ut having the preview pop up "solid" makes it feel faster when you stand at the screen....
I also do prefer GFX files in LR, the same way i prefer A7RIII files in C1....
so i guess my recommendation right now would be stick with LR when shooting GFX, stick with C1 when shooting sony....
schefz.com
artloch.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up