Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ledge at Kimmeridge Bay, Dorset  (Read 1162 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
Ledge at Kimmeridge Bay, Dorset
« on: July 29, 2018, 03:14:00 am »

Ledge at Kimmeridge Bay, a sunset image taken during a Workshop I led in beautiful Dorset (UK) in spring 2017. Leica SL, Voigtlander 10mm Hyper-Wide Heliar and filters Formatt-Hitech Firecrest.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

Farmer

Re: Ledge at Kimmeridge Bay, Dorset
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 03:43:19 am »

This one is very interesting.  You always achieve depth, which I love.  In this case, I see the lighthouse and the point on which it stands, though, as being quite flat.  It's not bad - just different, with the sky and the ledge having so much depth I think they would have stood in the image without the point and lighthouse, but the depth with the flat is unsettling for me, but in no way bad.

Phil Brown

stamper

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 06:54:59 am »

First class.....as usual!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:50:40 am »

Excellent.
After reading Phil's response, I tried to imagine the scene without the lighthouse and its point, and the scene felt unbalanced without them there. Not knowing Dorset first-hand, I like the image just as it is.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:54:42 am »

This one is very interesting.  You always achieve depth, which I love.  In this case, I see the lighthouse and the point on which it stands, though, as being quite flat.  It's not bad - just different, with the sky and the ledge having so much depth I think they would have stood in the image without the point and lighthouse, but the depth with the flat is unsettling for me, but in no way bad.

First class.....as usual!

Excellent.
After reading Phil's response, I tried to imagine the scene without the lighthouse and its point, and the scene felt unbalanced without them there. Not knowing Dorset first-hand, I like the image just as it is.

Thank you very much everyone, glad you enjoyed it! :) About the lighthouse, which is a folly tower in reality, and the point, they are a very characteristic sight at Kimmeridge bay, and the bay would look weird to people who knows it if I'd close the tower out, i.e. As well, using a 10mm lens to create depth in the ledge, there is no way to frame the image without getting the tower in... a conundrum indeed, and 10mm + tower is my solution (just one of many possible!) :) Solving these kind of problems is a lot of fun in the field, and a large part of what makes the job interesting to me!

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 06:18:29 pm »

Interesting to read about your composition conundrum!  Thanks for sharing that as well as the photo :-)
Phil Brown

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 05:29:48 am »

Good light and depth. I was wondering:

1. Too much "empty" water space on the right? Does a tighter cropping there improves the image? Just a different interpretation?

2. Does the lighthouse has an actual light? A tiny spark there would be wonderful, IMO.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 02:42:48 am »

Interesting to read about your composition conundrum!  Thanks for sharing that as well as the photo :-)

Than you Phil, I am glad you found following my process interesting. I think that solving compositional problems is perhaps THE most fundamental part of the job, and incidentally I also think that good compositions are perhaps the most lacking thing I see in the billion images that assault us on the Internet every day... :)

Good light and depth. I was wondering:

1. Too much "empty" water space on the right? Does a tighter cropping there improves the image? Just a different interpretation?

2. Does the lighthouse has an actual light? A tiny spark there would be wonderful, IMO.

Hello Paulo, thank you for your comment. My answers:

1. As always, there are as many images of a given place and moment in time as there are photographers taking them: this is mine, and obviously I like it the way it is. It would have been very interesting to have you there at the same time and see what you'd come up with, and then discuss the different interpretations with both images in front of us :)

2. About the building, my answer is no, sorry: the building you see is not a lighthouse but a folly tower (see my answers above), so while for people not knowing the place your suggestion might make sense, for everyone knowing it it would look extremely weird and feel totally fake :)

Hope this helps, and thank you for sparking the conversation! Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 06:01:19 am »

Than you Phil, I am glad you found following my process interesting. I think that solving compositional problems is perhaps THE most fundamental part of the job, and incidentally I also think that good compositions are perhaps the most lacking thing I see in the billion images that assault us on the Internet every day... :)

Hello Paulo, thank you for your comment. My answers:

1. As always, there are as many images of a given place and moment in time as there are photographers taking them: this is mine, and obviously I like it the way it is. It would have been very interesting to have you there at the same time and see what you'd come up with, and then discuss the different interpretations with both images in front of us :)

2. About the building, my answer is no, sorry: the building you see is not a lighthouse but a folly tower (see my answers above), so while for people not knowing the place your suggestion might make sense, for everyone knowing it it would look extremely weird and feel totally fake :)

Hope this helps, and thank you for sparking the conversation! Best regards,

Vieri

Dear Vieri, thanks for the feedback, makes sense now. I was in the bay many years ago, on a geology field trip, and was not sure if the building was a lighthouse or not. Maybe someone can place a torch there next time:)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 07:17:14 am »

I have been really liking your work.  A beautiful image you have here.  Art Wolfe and I critique each other's work when we shoot together.  I had an image like this once (made in Iceland) and he asked the question - What is the topic/subject?  Creative cropping removing some distraction on the right and some sky I believe change this image to be better balanced.  I think the lighthouse and foreground are really strong.  You have some really nice detail on top of the flat rocks that can be brought out and invite the viewer to explore them.  I took the liberty to show a possible crop as well as a few slight adjustments. The spaces balance out a bit better now IMO.

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 08:03:50 am »

Dear Vieri, thanks for the feedback, makes sense now. I was in the bay many years ago, on a geology field trip, and was not sure if the building was a lighthouse or not. Maybe someone can place a torch there next time:)

Thank you Paulo! :) I will send someone with a very powerful flashlight up the tower then!

I have been really liking your work.  A beautiful image you have here.  Art Wolfe and I critique each other's work when we shoot together.  I had an image like this once (made in Iceland) and he asked the question - What is the topic/subject?  Creative cropping removing some distraction on the right and some sky I believe change this image to be better balanced.  I think the lighthouse and foreground are really strong.  You have some really nice detail on top of the flat rocks that can be brought out and invite the viewer to explore them.  I took the liberty to show a possible crop as well as a few slight adjustments. The spaces balance out a bit better now IMO.

Hello Kevin, thank you for your post and for your effort, as well as for your kind words about my work, much appreciated. To me, however, in your version the ledge feel way too overwhelming and "heavy", making the image much more imbalanced than it was in my original effort - to my eyes at least. My reason for leaving more water on the right hand side was exactly that, to help the "visually and physically light" water balance the "visually and physically heavy" presence of the rock by giving it more space :)

As I mentioned to Paulo, once more with this exchange of ideas we just proved what I consider to be a big part of the beauty and interest of our amazing job: put 100 photographers on a same place at the same time, and you very likely end up having 100 different images (not considering the possible presence of a few copycats among the 100 LOL :D ). Thanks again!

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up