Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: metallic paper: Inkpress vs. Moab  (Read 1248 times)

EinstStein

metallic paper: Inkpress vs. Moab
« on: July 28, 2018, 11:37:08 pm »

I am trying to print metallic paper (pearl or satin). But due to the concerns on the reflection, I want to start with 5x7  that is easier to manage the viewing angle.
The two low cost options from B&H are Moab and Inkpress.

Anyone can share your experiences? Thanks.

mearussi

Re: metallic paper: Inkpress vs. Moab
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:00:36 pm »

I've never used Inkpress, but Moab is essentially the same as Red River, which is made by Mitsubishi, and is a very good paper.

EinstStein

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 02:06:17 pm »

Please elaborate what do you mean by it is good from our direct experiences.
Who made it does not tell me much. Thanks.

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 03:19:50 pm »

Please elaborate what do you mean by it is good from our direct experiences.
Who made it does not tell me much. Thanks.
I've compared four metallic papers. The colors are similar on all of them so the main difference was dmax.

The one with the best dmax is Breathing Color. It also has a more metallic look instead of the pearlescent look of the others. This makes it the best for anything with a strong graphic look. A friend of mine uses it for all of his night and astro photos and it looks magnificent. 

The next best is Red River that has more of a traditional pearlescent look with slightly less dmax than Breathing Color. This look may be preferred for less graphic images like nature or people shots.

Moab is very close to Red River with maybe slightly less dmax.

The worse by far (and also the cheapest by 1/2) is Kodak. It has a very poor dmax that looks more like a dark muddy gray than black. It also has so much OBAs that the white paper base has a strong purple cast. Still, despite its drawbacks, it is metallic and so does look better with some scenes than regular glossy paper. If price is your primary consideration you might try a sample box to see if you can tolerate the blacks.

I don't know where you live, but in the U.S. the price of Breathing Color, Red River and Moab are so close together that they should be chosen based on the needs of the image instead of price.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 03:58:40 pm »

I tried Slickrock Metallic for a project in B&W where I wanted a metallic "look" with no deep blacks. It is a beautiful paper with good shadow detail, but I gave up on it because there was no viewing angle where reflections didn't obscure the image. It was just impossible.
I eventually went for Epson Legacy Baryta and set the grey values for the subject to those of silver. 

BAB

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:22:19 pm »

HUM why not just use Epson metallic papers they sell a luster and a gloss and both print well?
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic
Pages: [1]   Go Up