Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exactitudes  (Read 3168 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Exactitudes
« on: July 28, 2018, 05:03:44 pm »

I like typologies

Peoples can be categorized as well, two Dutch photographers are doing a very nice job to categorize men and woman.

enjoy:

Exactidues

Frans Waterlander

Re: Exactitudes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 01:04:11 am »

I don't get it and maybe as an ex Nederlander I should, but try as I might, I don't. These groups were clearly staged. What's the purpose? Sorry, I'm lost.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:18:41 am by Frans Waterlander »

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 01:37:01 am »

I don't get it and maybe as an ex Nederlander I should, but try as I might, I don't. These groups were clearly staged. What's the purpose? Sorry, I'm lost.

https://www.exactitudes.com/index.php?/about/

In summary, the photographers answer your question.
Phil Brown

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 01:55:06 am »

https://www.exactitudes.com/index.php?/about/

In summary, the photographers answer your question.

No, they don't. They stage shots of people that have been asked, I'm pretty sure, to dress similarly and pose similarly. That doesn't tell me anything, other than they went through the effort with, I'm pretty sure again, an planned outcome.

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 02:00:45 am »

And I quote:

"Inspired by a shared interest in the striking dress codes of various social groups, they have systematically documented numerous identities over the last 21 years."

"By registering their subjects in an identical framework, with similar poses and a strictly observed dress code, Versluis and Uyttenbroek provide an almost scientific, anthropological record of people’s attempts to distinguish themselves from others by assuming a group identity"

But the page I linked is full of commentary about the project and what the purpose is.  You might not like the purpose, you might not think it has any merit, but it's clearly stated nonetheless if you're prepared to read it.
Phil Brown

Ivophoto

Exactitudes
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 02:23:04 am »

No, they don't. They stage shots of people that have been asked, I'm pretty sure, to dress similarly and pose similarly. That doesn't tell me anything, other than they went through the effort with, I'm pretty sure again, an planned outcome.

I follow this project for a while and since the first years I started looking at peoples with a typology eye.
Peoples subconsciously dress in code, yes.

It is so strong men can assume it is setup. It isn’t.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 03:44:21 am »

It is so strong men can assume it is setup. It isn’t.

Walking around the city I see that, too. It's almost ridiculous how people seem to want to look the same within a certain group, to show to belong to it. In particular funny I find the "non-conformist" and/or "creative" looking all the same creative and/or non-conformist. Which just doesn't work of course.

Good work there, though in some way reminiscent of August Sanders old stuff, though quite different in style.

elliot_n

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 08:13:10 am »

From the 'About' section of their website:

'Once they recognise an individual that fits the characteristics of a given group, they invite such person to be photographed at the studio with the only requirement of wearing the very exact same clothes s/he was wearing at the time they first encountered.'

If you don't like that the photographers relocate their subjects to the studio, you might prefer the work of another Dutch photographer, Hans Eijkelboom. He explores similar themes, but keeps it on the street:

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/12/photographer-spends-20-years-documenting-how-we-all-dress-exactly-alike/
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/oct/23/hans-eijkelboom-street-photography-tribes-people-twenty-first-century
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:21:21 am by elliot_n »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 12:30:42 pm »

Thanks, I enjoyed that. I've always noticed how much rugged individualists like to conform. :)
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 02:39:18 pm »

Thanks, I enjoyed that. I've always noticed how much rugged individualists like to conform. :)

Do you mean with checked shirts?

Ivophoto

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 05:10:15 pm »

Do you mean with checked shirts?

And a pair of jeans.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 05:01:29 am »

And a pair of jeans.

Ivo, lay off the jeans!

For over sixty years I've covered my pins with nothing else other than for funerals and my wedding; checked shirts were last seen on me before I was fourteen. That was about the time I realised I didn't really want to be a cowboy. Village people loved lived in, well, remote villages during my era...

;-)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:39:16 am by Rob C »

Ivophoto

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 06:01:33 am »

Ivo, lay of the jeans!

For over sixty years I've covered my pins with nothing else other than for funerals and my wedding; checked shirts were last seen on me before I was fourteen. That was about the time I realised I didn't really want to be a cowboy. Village people loved lived in, well, remote villages during my era...

;-)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38:37 am »

How well I remember being a teenager. The trick was to look like one of the tribe, while adopting one or two small details unique to yourself. To non tribe members, everyone looks the same. Tribe members notice the differentiating details, however. True trendsetters were/continue to be extremely rare.

Nowadays, I belong to the comfort/function-first tribe, though there is still attention to a certain level of "style". I do not (yet) wear pyjamas in the daytime (Crash Test Dummies) nor wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled (T. S. Eliot)

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 10:04:22 am »

How well I remember being a teenager. The trick was to look like one of the tribe, while adopting one or two small details unique to yourself. To non tribe members, everyone looks the same. Tribe members notice the differentiating details, however. True trendsetters were/continue to be extremely rare.

Nowadays, I belong to the comfort/function-first tribe, though there is still attention to a certain level of "style". I do not (yet) wear pyjamas in the daytime (Crash Test Dummies) nor wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled (T. S. Eliot)

Was a time that having a turn-up on your jeans was the way. Now, faux poverty is the buzz: artificial rips where rips never, naturally, occur.

The world has lost its compass. I blame it on the news channels: they advertise 24hr. news, but the reality is fifteen minutes of news, fifteen minutes of sport and repeat for as long as you can get away with it, stuffing in commercials to make it appear more beautiful/essential/ democratic than it might otherwise appear. I think they actually pay those airlines to show ads just so they can feature attractive airline stewardesses. For a time, Singapore Airlines had the pick of the crop.

Of course it is; motion is also photography.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 06:44:51 pm »

From the 'About' section of their website:

'Once they recognise an individual that fits the characteristics of a given group, they invite such person to be photographed at the studio with the only requirement of wearing the very exact same clothes s/he was wearing at the time they first encountered.'

If you don't like that the photographers relocate their subjects to the studio, you might prefer the work of another Dutch photographer, Hans Eijkelboom. He explores similar themes, but keeps it on the street:

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/12/photographer-spends-20-years-documenting-how-we-all-dress-exactly-alike/
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/oct/23/hans-eijkelboom-street-photography-tribes-people-twenty-first-century

Those are great! I'm happy to say I never neatly fit into any of those looks. But I wouldn't say I was or am a trend-setter either. I just never felt like I truly belonged to one tribe and wasn't interested in clothing beyond practical purposes.
Although I'm sure there is a middle-aged mountain guy look I unconsciously display. I'd like to think I dress this way because it's practical.  8)
-MattB

Ivophoto

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 12:43:21 am »

Those are great! I'm happy to say I never neatly fit into any of those looks. But I wouldn't say I was or am a trend-setter either. I just never felt like I truly belonged to one tribe and wasn't interested in clothing beyond practical purposes.
Although I'm sure there is a middle-aged mountain guy look I unconsciously display. I'd like to think I dress this way because it's practical.  8)

The practical mountain guys.

Do you drive a Chevy or Dodge truck?

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 10:05:56 am »

The practical mountain guys.

Do you drive a Chevy or Dodge truck?

Toyota Tacoma. And a manual turbo Subaru Forester. Both pretty common for practical mountain guys around here.
The american trucks are more popular with the cowboy crowd. I test drove several of them and the Toyota just felt like a better engineered and made vehicle.
The Subaru does great on passes and there is just enough room for me to sleep (diagonally) in the back when out shooting the night sky or waiting for sunrise.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:12:46 am by MattBurt »
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 10:11:25 am »

Just came across this bit on car stereotypes that gave me a chuckle. I may resemble the Subaru Forester one but not the WRX one.
https://www.drivingline.com/articles/26-car-owner-stereotypes-and-how-to-avoid-them/
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up