Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stefan Vanfleteren, Belgian Magnum photographer  (Read 961 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Stefan Vanfleteren, Belgian Magnum photographer
« on: July 28, 2018, 04:55:12 pm »

Stephan is one of Belgiums Magnum photographers.
He is well known for his portraits and especially his series on Belgian Cyclists (Flandrien) is stunningly good.

But he really shines with the portrait he made of Theofiel A Belgian (Flemish) farmer.

Enjoy.

Frans Waterlander

Re: Stefan Vanfleteren, Belgian Magnum photographer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 01:28:48 am »

The Theofiel photos are both beautiful, heartbreaking and borderline disrespectful. They give me the same uneasy feeling when I look at documentaries about poor or primitive people; where does the honest and compassionate reporting/interpretation stop and where does the exploitation start? Very touching and disturbing at the same time. Powerful work, to be sure.

Ivophoto

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 02:31:25 am »

The Theofiel photos are both beautiful, heartbreaking and borderline disrespectful. They give me the same uneasy feeling when I look at documentaries about poor or primitive people; where does the honest and compassionate reporting/interpretation stop and where does the exploitation start? Very touching and disturbing at the same time. Powerful work, to be sure.

I understand to what you point and recognize it in some photographic work. Not in this case. Stefan’s work aesthetically lifts the man and his environment beyond that sentiment.

it lays all in the viewers projection

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 03:36:43 am »

Interesting work, thanks for the link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up