Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU/motherboard question  (Read 1191 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
CPU/motherboard question
« on: July 27, 2018, 10:01:15 am »

It's been about 8 years since I bought my computer (Windows) - a Dell desktop with a Core i7 (940) CPU at 2.93 GHZ. I upgraded it since then with scads of RAM and all SSD. But I'm sure that CPU and motherboard technology has marched onward in those 8 years. I am wondering how much of a performance boost I might expect from a CPU/m-board upgrade. This is used for LR and PS. To be honest6, the system is fast enough for me, but as they say, more faster, more better!

Joe Towner

Re: CPU/motherboard question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 11:30:34 am »

Depends on your overall budget.  There are a lot up upsides to a newer motherboard/cpu, mostly around the number of PCIe lanes for NVMe drives, and better graphics cards due to PCIe 3.0 bandwidth.  Not sure on your Win7/Win10 stance, but make sure your purchase jives with it - 7th & 8th Gen Core & Ryzen are not supported by Windows 7, but if you're in for a few hacks there's always a way.
t: @PNWMF

vjbelle

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:05:04 am »

8 years..... just do it.  You will notice a dramatic increase in speed.  No need to elaborate on the particulars as in 8 years everything has gotten faster and better.

Victor

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 03:02:02 am »

Put in that equation RAM memory. That CPU uses DDR3 memory, any new motherboard+CPU today will require DDR4 memory.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 05:41:54 am »

I am also in for a new computer after 10 years! and expect a factor 4 in speed gain.

GPU has becom much faster ( open CL factor 10)
M.2 memory- 2500 mb/sec  ( the original harddisk did 50 mb/sec- they are at now about 200mb/sec)
CPU about 4x faster
Ram factor 4 faster
and you need a motherboard to support all that fastness

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 10:50:14 am »

You will be blown away by the advance is speed and processing from 8 years ago. Last fall, I replaced my 4 year old AMD FX9590 with a new Ryzen 1800x build. I was blown away by both the stability I gained and the speed. I went from a max of 32GB RAM to 64GB. I gained HUGE amounts of speed when my Samsung 850EVO SSD was replaced by the Samsung 960 Pro NVMe SSD. My graphics card went from a Radeon R9 390 to an nVidia GTX1080.

What I'm saying is, the components and technology from 8yrs ago is like going from a vintage 1950s sedan to a 2018 Mustang. If you are truly interested in a boost, make the (at times) painful upgrade. Painful because it's a pain in the butt to reinstall everything -- if you have much software installed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up