Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powerbook WiFi Reception  (Read 4152 times)

macgyver

Powerbook WiFi Reception
« on: October 15, 2006, 01:10:38 am »

I have a 15 inch Al Powerbook, and on the University Campus I'm on the WiFi reception isn't all that good.  Do any of you know of any ways I could improve the reception, especially without spending money?

Thanks guys.

61Dynamic

• http://
Powerbook WiFi Reception
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 03:09:46 am »

If you have control over the router, one free as in beer way is to change the channel. Download iStumbler to see which channel has the lowest amount of clutter and then switch to it. Depending on how many wi-fi users are around, it can make a big difference in connection quality.

If you don't control a router, then you can still use it to hunt for a better signal if one exists.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any way to boost wi-fi performance on the Powerbook in any significant way. That line of laptops is not known for having good wi-fi reception...

The issue is in the computer's antennae. You could improve things with a PCMCIA or USB add-on adaptor that has an external antennae. But, finding one that works easily with the Mac is a bit of an issue (many require you to hack drivers).

macgyver

Powerbook WiFi Reception
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 11:29:01 pm »

Thanks Daniel, I got iStumbler, I'll see if that can help me find anything better.  I don't have control of the router though, I'm talking about the University wireless system, which isn't all that good anyway.  I've been thinking about the USB or PCMIA option, but I'm not sure if it's worth that much trouble just so I can read the news online instead of listening to the lecturer.

francois

Powerbook WiFi Reception
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 07:11:30 am »

I have a 15 inch Al Powerbook, and on the University Campus I'm on the WiFi reception isn't all that good.  Do any of you know of any ways I could improve the reception, especially without spending money?

Thanks guys.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href=\"http://www.quickertek.com/]QuicketTek[/url] products might help you. I have no personal experience with them, though. They sell antennas, tranceivers etc...
You can also visit MacFixit website, but I believe you'll need some hardware help  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 07:12:27 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up