Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft launch of new website  (Read 1444 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Soft launch of new website
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:24:26 pm »

Folks,

A friend asked me how long it had been since I had updated my web site...I was shocked (and embarrassed) to determine it was almost 20 years...well, heck, I've done a lot since then!

But being cheap I decided to use something I was already getting for free (as in thrown in for a price) and that is Adobe Portfolio...

So, I've been playing.

If you are interested, the main page is Jeff Schewe Photography

This is a soft launch (meaning while it's public it's not connected to my schewephoto.com domain yet. That's so I can work on it and fine tune. I'm currently using Lightroom synced collections to propagate the images (although the order is frustratingly variable). As it stands, I'm not seeing an easy way to add captions in Lightroom and have them show in the web site (kinda need them in places I think).

For those of you with a sense of humor, you might want to check out I WAS THERE

:~)

Thoughts?

VidJa

Re: Soft launch of new website
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:59:43 pm »

Wow, even on a tiny iPhone the abstracts are amazing. Can’t wait to get home and kickstart my desktop to enjoy them bigger. Congrats.

guido

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 02:18:32 pm »

Wonderful work Jeff! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 02:23:02 pm »

Nice stuff, Jeff.

I don't think there's any way of adding captions, or any kind of reference number, to photos in a photo grid. It's something Adobe have said they are thinking about adding.

As you observe, you can't control the order of images in a grid either. Nor can you change the cover photo for a collection, as far as I can tell, without deleting it from the Portfolio site and reinstalling it.

Portfolio is easy to use but, I find, incredibly frustrating to tailor. But it's worth every penny I don't pay for it.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:31:35 am by Jeremy Roussak »

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:04:40 pm »

Nice stuff, Jeff.

I don't think there's any way of adding captions, or any kind of reference number, to photos in a photo grid. It's something Adobe have said they are thinking about adding.

As you observe, you can't control the order of images in a grid either. Nor can you change the cover photo for a collection, as far as I can tell, without deleting it from the Portfolio site and reinstalling it.

Portfolio is easy to use but, I find, incredibly frustrating to tailor. But it's worth every penny I don't pay for it.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 03:33:42 pm »

Fine work, Jeff. I almost rolled on the floor laughing when I saw the Wall Drug sign. I don't know how many of LuLa's contributors ever stopped by Wall Drug, but I did it somewhere around early 1955 when all the highways in the western part of the U.S. were loaded with Wall Drug signs. You finally got to the point where you simply couldn't resist the temptation to go see Wall Drug. We were stationed in Rapid City at the time, so it wasn't too big a deal to make the trip. When you got to Wall, South Dakota (nowadays it's on I90, but in those days it was just plain old US 14), what you saw was a small, dusty, western town. Wall Drug was just another normal western drugstore with unfinished wooden floors and standard counters and display coolers. Only difference was that because of the damn signs the place was full of people just milling around. I'm sure they sold a lot of soda and ice cream.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 04:33:17 pm »

Bravo!

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 08:19:49 pm »

I'm currently using Lightroom synced collections to propagate the images (although the order is frustratingly variable). As it stands, I'm not seeing an easy way to add captions in Lightroom and have them show in the web site (kinda need them in places I think).

If anybody can persuade Adobe to deal with these limitations, I presume it's you.  Please let us know when the metaphorical check is in the proverbial mail. . . .

For those of you with a sense of humor, you might want to check out I WAS THERE
Thoughts?

Scary!  Prolly advisable to warn parents and grandparents they should use discretion in showing young children that last link.  (By the way, why did you flip the shot where you are squinting through the Canon viewfinder right-to-left?)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 08:54:25 pm »

Fantastic, Jeff! Thanks for sharing it.
I only had time for "I Was There," "Abstractions," and "Death Valley" on the first visit. I'll be back for all the rest real soon.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 02:23:10 pm »

Jeremy

+1  Just like Adobe Spark: stupidly easy to use, but offering very limited control.

But,  really, Jeff?  A HARLEY?  Eeewwwww.  :)

framah

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 04:12:52 pm »

The photo of you sitting amongst the penguins reminds me of walking  down the hallway on the ship and smelling penguin poo. Now I know where it was coming from!!! ;D ;D

Thanks for reminding me of our trip in 2009.

Also  nice photo reminders of you and Michael.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 05:40:51 pm »

Wonderful images, thanks for sharing

But,  really, Jeff?  A HARLEY?  Eeewwwww.  :)

Where is it? I only see a BMW

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 07:39:46 pm »

Wonderful images, thanks for sharing

Where is it? I only see a BMW

Second row "I was there" section.

*disclaimer*  I'm a long time Beemer owner. :)

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 08:18:15 pm »

Second row "I was there" section.

*disclaimer*  I'm a long time Beemer owner. :)

Right! I missed that.

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 10:18:07 pm »

Thanks Jeff, nice site,  oh,... and glad to see you sporting the "Hawaiian shirt" in the I Was There portfolio.
Leszek, G

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 10:35:21 am »

Slick looking site! 

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 01:28:19 pm »

Folks,

As it stands, I'm not seeing an easy way to add captions in Lightroom and have them show in the web site (kinda need them in places I think).

Thoughts?

As far as I can see you have to do all the arranging and captioning in  Portfolio once the pictures are in the application (click on the little pen symbol in the top left corner of an image in Portfolio edit view).

Dave

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 08:35:15 am »

As far as I can see you have to do all the arranging and captioning in  Portfolio once the pictures are in the application (click on the little pen symbol in the top left corner of an image in Portfolio edit view).

Dave

Yes, you have to select Edit Grid (not reorder page), then you can drag images around, although I don't know if Lightroom Sync overpowers (or undoes) that
Pages: [1]   Go Up