Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing wrong size on Epson 9900  (Read 801 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Printing wrong size on Epson 9900
« on: July 24, 2018, 08:59:41 pm »

I'm printing a 40 x 58" canvas for a gallery wrap (36x54" finished size) from Capture One, although I'm sure I had the same issue printing out of LR, so I don't believe it's software related. The image area is coming out 57 1/4 x 39 7/8ths... loosing a full 3/4" on the long run (printing on 44" canvas).
I'm using an Epson 9900 with Epson Exhibition Canvas Natural Matte. Unfortunately, the driver for this canvas will only allow you to select Photo Black even though it's a matte canvas - so I use the Exhibition Canvas Matte setting instead. I asked Epson about this a while back and the guy said he'd send in a bug report - but I haven't seen a fix.

Do you think that could be the problem? Or is there something else that would cause this?
Mike Guilbault

Farmer

Re: Printing wrong size on Epson 9900
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 07:11:09 pm »

If you're using a non-canvas driver setting then the paper feed increment is possibly wrong.  Are you seeing any banding in the print, perhaps where the head is micro-overlapping on each pass?

If the print quality is fine and there's no evidence of banding, then it's not the paper feed (it's possible that the media you're using and the canvas are close enough).  In that case, are you using any borderless settings?  Expansion settings?
Phil Brown

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:04:29 pm »

I am a big believer in catalogue programmes for cataloguing, editing programmes for editing, printing programmes for printing.
Download a free 14 day trial of Mirage Print and print from that. If it comes out the right size it is software.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 12:17:05 am »

Some canvas can shrink more than you might think in the long direction.

ShirleyB

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 12:15:02 pm »

I've been printing on Epson canvas since 2007.  I did,  for quite a while, have problems with the length, and for a longtime ended up ordering stretcher bars after the print to ensure the size matched the canvas. I now haven't had a problem with my older (now dead) Epson 9890 or my current P8000 for many years.  Make sure that in Print Settings properties  (I'm PC, not Mac), which pops up when you hit print from PS or LR, go into Print Settings which pops up Properties and then Paper Configuration. Set Paper Feed Adjustment to +70 and the platen gap to Wider. I also use Watercolour Paper as the paper type on the printer itself, although I do use EpsonExhibition Canvas Matte ( the canvas that I use) in  the printer profile in the Colour Management box on the Printer setup. I also use ON1 perfect resize for the Gallery Wrap part.  With what I've detailed here it comes up exactly perfect every time.  Hope this helps, I go through about 12-15 rolls of canvas a year with no problems. Shirley Brigden
Pages: [1]   Go Up