Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Match NEC 2690 calibration to iMac 4 or 5K display  (Read 861 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
Match NEC 2690 calibration to iMac 4 or 5K display
« on: July 24, 2018, 02:53:40 pm »

I attended a workshop this weekend where we reviewed photographs on a new iMac 4 or 5K display, and my images looked somewhat flat and too bright.  I have taken great pains to edit them on my calibrated NEC 2690 WUXi Spectraview monitor, so it seems like the intensity is off on my calibration. Any suggestion on a calibration spec to use when the final image will be viewed on an iMac or other Mac (that is set to factory spec)? My current calibration is tweaked for printing, so that is probably why.
It may be that my monitor is feeling its age.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
Re: Match NEC 2690 calibration to iMac 4 or 5K display
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 11:03:43 pm »

I attended a workshop this weekend where we reviewed photographs on a new iMac 4 or 5K display, and my images looked somewhat flat and too bright.
Perhaps the iMac display wasn't profiled, or the Application used wasn't color managed ?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Match NEC 2690 calibration to iMac 4 or 5K display
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:37:15 pm »

I attended a workshop this weekend where we reviewed photographs on a new iMac 4 or 5K display, and my images looked somewhat flat and too bright.  I have taken great pains to edit them on my calibrated NEC 2690 WUXi Spectraview monitor, so it seems like the intensity is off on my calibration. Any suggestion on a calibration spec to use when the final image will be viewed on an iMac or other Mac (that is set to factory spec)? My current calibration is tweaked for printing, so that is probably why.
It may be that my monitor is feeling its age.
If you calibrate your display for printing it's usually much dimmer than a standard consumer purchased setup.  Most displays out there are much brighter, and depending on what your white point is on your calibrated display could look much different in color.

So if you purposing an image to be used for web/computer view, you could use a second calibration for your NEC with settings that might be closer to a factory default computer.  The challenge is what do you calibrate it to?  There is no standard.  the assumption is very few users don't make any adjustments to their display when they set it up, and default factory settings usually delivers a display that is basically an attempt at 6500 and much brighter, so output images slightly denser and slightly warmer?

It's a real rabbit hole ... I don't think there's a good solution.  I've played with it a little, actually tried a few variations of a few files, put them on a website, then went to a couple of computer stores and took a look at them ... ended up an exercise in futility with no conclusive results.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 12:49:40 am by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up