Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethered transfer with USB-C  (Read 1437 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Tethered transfer with USB-C
« on: July 23, 2018, 01:59:50 pm »

I was curious if anyone has noticed any speed difference when tethering a 5Ds through a USB-C port? I just ordered a new notebook which has USB-C/Thunderbolt and was curious if there was any speed difference when doing so?

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Tethered transfer with USB-C
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 06:11:05 pm »

I was curious if anyone has noticed any speed difference when tethering a 5Ds through a USB-C port? I just ordered a new notebook which has USB-C/Thunderbolt and was curious if there was any speed difference when doing so?
Shouldn't be a difference since the speed is totally limited by the 5Ds USB 3 port unless your old laptop had a slower USB port than the camera does.  Many USB ports, even USB C ports in computers and devices don't come anywhere near the spec max speed of said port.  But if you assume that all of the ports in question are operating at spec speed and your old computer was USB 3, there should be no significant difference due to the USB 3. transfer rate of the camera.

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:09:47 pm »

What you say is, of course, true. However, some devices I've owned have transferred slightly faster when going to a faster port. When I first had USB 3.0 ports on my computer, I found that my 2.0 portable drives would transfer from 2 to 5MB/s faster than on the USB 2.0 ports.

I don't really expect a speed increase per se. More that I wondered if anyone had seen that or not.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 06:43:39 am »

What you say is, of course, true. However, some devices I've owned have transferred slightly faster when going to a faster port. When I first had USB 3.0 ports on my computer, I found that my 2.0 portable drives would transfer from 2 to 5MB/s faster than on the USB 2.0 ports.

I don't really expect a speed increase per se. More that I wondered if anyone had seen that or not.
Yeah sometimes you do get a very slight bump due to overhead not being a factor but in this case, i would expect it to be very minimal to none.  The camera's USB 3 port has so much overhead and isn't full speed USB 3 to begin with so I would expect it to be the real rate limiter.  Guess you'll find out soon enough :)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 11:20:17 am »

I just got a new MacBook and tested the tethering of my IQ260 with a USB-C tether cord.  I was previously using an USB cord.  I see no difference. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

nemophoto

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:30:02 pm »

I just shot a job yesterday with my new XPS 15 (9575), tethered through the USB-C. All I can say is, there IS a difference with the C port. I was shooting RAW+JPEG (50MP RAW, 12MP JPG) and the files flew from the camera and appeared quickly. My assistant/tech even said it seemed much faster than my old computer. (My old computer was a 4-yr old ASUS with a 750GB SSD and USB 3.0 ports.) Could this have been because the SSD in the Dell was faster? Yeah, probably had some impact. I also think part of it is that C1 has improved it's speed. As a comparison, I tried my old standby, EOS Utility/DPP and that combo was slower when previously it had been faster than C1 on my older computer.

In the end, I think there are multiple factors at play (fast CPU, fast SSD NVMe, better performing software), but I think the protocals of USB 3.1 Gen 2 do seem to have some speed benefits for older USB 3.0 devices. Oh, I also have a new Tether Tools cable: USB 3.0 to USB-C. Fatter cable=less resistance?? Native connectors?
Pages: [1]   Go Up