Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark IV - firmware updates. What would you add/change?  (Read 924 times)

Dinarius

I use Canon, Hasselblad and Sony.

My Hasselblad is old now, but, over the years, they have sought to improve it with firmware updates.

The darling of the current Hasselblad stable, the X1D, has received numerous firmware improvements, many in response to user feedback. It appears to be a better camera than when it was first released.

My only Sony is an RX 100. It too has been improved over time via updates. More professional cameras in the Sony range also receive regular updates.

This is as it should be. A computer or mobile phone manufacturer not doing likewise wouldn’t last a week. (I accept that there are multiple software compatibility issues with computers and phones that do not apply to cameras, but the point stands.)

I know nothing about Nikon cameras.

But, in regard to firmware improvements Canon are c**p, in my opinion.

Since its launch a couple of years ago, the only real change to the 5D Mark IV was C-Log exposure at a cost of $99 (about 3% of the cost of the camera) and it had to be done by a dealer. From a consumer point of view, a joke, in my opinion.

Just curious, but what would your firmware changes wishlist for the 5D contain?

Thanks.

D.

Rado

Re: Canon 5D Mark IV - firmware updates. What would you add/change?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:43:30 pm »

I would prefer if the Magic Lantern guys were able to figure out the newer Canon models (with a little bit of insider help perhaps?) so that the true potential of the hardware can be unlocked instead of being filtered through marketing and sales departments.

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 01:05:09 pm »

As far as I can see Magic Lantern offers nothing for the Mark IV.

However, their offerings for other models clearly show the unrealised potential (in Canon’s hands at any rate) that these cameras have.

D.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 12:51:40 am »

It would be interesting to understand what is part of the initial design intend of Fuji and what is improvised later.

If we want to be positive for Canon we could write that they do a better job at releasing from day 1 a camera that fully implements its intended specs while Fuji has to leverage post release updates to reach their target.

Now, odds are that Fuji is also backporting some capabilities being developped for newer models and that this shows both more advanced technology and a willingness to deliver more value for customers.

As often, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Cheers,
Bernard

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 12:09:15 pm »

Since its launch a couple of years ago, the only real change to the 5D Mark IV was C-Log exposure at a cost of $99 (about 3% of the cost of the camera) and it had to be done by a dealer. From a consumer point of view, a joke, in my opinion.

Just curious, but what would your firmware changes wishlist for the 5D contain?

Thanks.

D.

The reason for cps installed firmware is Canon has announced an upcoming 1.2 something crop for motion footage vs. the current 1.7 something crop that is available today.   It is a firmware upgrade, but also requires Canon to install some different cooling fins as the camera will shoot 500 mbs files. (in motion).    That's a hefty number and even though the 5d2 is 8 bit compared to my cinema cameras that are 12 to 14 bit depth. My 1dxII which is also 8 bit in serious grading it is just a fraction away from my cinema cameras, so published specs don't tell the whole story. 

Also Canon has the only pdaf focusing for footage that doesn't hunt and is virtually dead accurate if set up properly.

IMO

BC

Rado

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 12:41:42 pm »

BC where do you see the announcement of the video crop changes on 5D4? I haven't found anything. There has been a rumor about a year ago about this but it has not materialized.

capital

• Website
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 03:45:31 pm »

Native cr2 raw files that use dual pixel data for highlight retention

Sensible codec for 4k recording

More button customization

More precise positioning of dual pixel AF during video

Expand dual pixel AF to frame edges, 80% coverage is artificial

Time Exposure Preview--Like Olympus' long exposure still capture mode

Auto Mirror-Up during 2-sec delay

720/30p mode

Option to keep top LCD light on.

Pages: [1]   Go Up